Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Forgive me for being behind but under current plans if things continue on roughly the path we are on England will get rid of social distancing in mid June but it will remain in Scotland? So, as stated above by the bar owner, no nightclubs or gigs in Scotland?

Knowing the SG they will come out with some nonsense like “nightclubs can open but groups need to book a 2 hour slot and can only be 6 people from 2 households with a 2m distanced spot on the dance floor”

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

If you want to wear a mask then wire in chief.

It would be great if you could show more respect for those who don't but are currently forced by law to do so.

It's an inconvenience, no doubt, but I'm not sure it's worth stabbing someone with a small blunt object though.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
As I've said many times before, for staff in retail and hospitality it isn't "an hour a week"
Consider them when discusing the enforced wearing of masks, which do little.

Oaksoft is retired and writing books remember I was referring specifically to his personal whine

Fair, but I often hear similar lines essentially mocking people who complain about them, pointing out that they are a relatively minor inconvenience.

For the people who work in the places the majority only need to wear one to nip in and out of, they are anything but, and we should recognise that.

Ignoring the fact this is an obtuse point, I am absolutely certain that if they were made mandatory for all workers all day there would soon be calls for them to be ditched.

Face coverings are just one of a number of things about Covid restrictions that people in general don't bother about so long as it is other people who are impacted.

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Knowing the SG they will come out with some nonsense like “nightclubs can open but groups need to book a 2 hour slot and can only be 6 people from 2 households with a 2m distanced spot on the dance floor”

Alcohol prohibited

It's the normalisation of masks that irks me. They aren't normal and I will be delighted when they are gone. If people want to keep wearing one then by all means go for it. Things such as making people wear them whilst moving around restaurants but not whilst seated are pure theatre to the point that they are ridiculous. 

Another thing I can't wait to see the end of is the requirement to book everything in advance. 

A senior advisor to the Beer & Pub Association, retweeted by Nicola Sturgeon says the rules in hospitality are pretty much the same as last year. Seems like a bit of media scaremongering rather than anything else.

They need to scrap the pointless curfews though. Currently only due to happen in ‘late June’ at Level 0. Surely that can come up a level or two.

Despite being the Daily Mail, this is a very good article. Another one in the eye for the Sridhar's of this world and those who appear to follow them, i.e. Sturgeon and the SNP.

Professor Collignon has warned that if Mr Morrison fails to convince them - and the public - to accept Covid cases then the nation will be left behind while comparable countries relax international travel restrictions.

'Eventually we're going to have to accept some Covid cases,' he told Daily Mail Australia on Tuesday.

'Unless we want borders closed for the next four to five years. That's how long it's going to take for the world to get on top of this.'

Professor Collignon said that in some ways Australia is a victim of its own success because people are terrified of Covid and don't want a single case in the country whereas other countries are now accustomed to it circulating.

'There are some people who want to keep cases to zero and keep the borders closed - it seems the majority.

'But I can't see how that's sustainable - you would turn into a nation like North Korea,' he said.

'A lot of Australians have friends and family overseas. You can't ban travel forever, I don't think that's sustainable for social and economic reasons,' he added.

At the last census in 2016, half of Australians were either born overseas or had at least one parent who was born outside the country. 

Mr Morrison has said he wants the nation to treat Covid like flu once vaccinations dramatically reduce the risk of severe disease and deaths.

'If we want to treat Covid like the flu, then we have to have the same tolerance for Covid as we have for the flu,' he told The West Live podcast last week. 

'If the international borders were lifted, there would be cases and we'd have to be confident and comfortable that that would be in Australia's interest'.

Professor Collignon said if Australians want to rejoin the world then they should be prepared to accept a similar number of Covid deaths as flu deaths annually. 

He pointed out that in 2017 - which was a bad year for flu - 1,255 people died of influenza and that was acceptable to most people. 

'I expect that Covid will become a seasonal respiratory virus like flu which isn't ideal but you can have reasonable travel and fewer restrictions on your movement,' he said.

The infectious diseases expert warned that Australia cannot keep cases to zero even if everyone in the country got vaccinated.  

'There is an expectation that vaccines are 100 per cent effective and we will keep transmission to zero - but this is not the case,' he said.

'Vaccines don't make the risk zero but we really markedly decrease the risk.'

Looks like The Good Guys continue to be one step ahead of the fools in the Scottish Government, and those advising them.

Edited by Elixir

19 minutes ago, Paco said:

A senior advisor to the Beer & Pub Association, retweeted by Nicola Sturgeon says the rules in hospitality are pretty much the same as last year. Seems like a bit of media scaremongering rather than anything else.

They need to scrap the pointless curfews though. Currently only due to happen in ‘late June’ at Level 0. Surely that can come up a level or two.

When I saw this on the TL I assumed the guy was going to be associated to the SNP in some way, but scrolling through he has been fairly critical of other parts of their "roadmap", so I'm inclined to believe this is the case.

26 minutes ago, Paco said:

Who is nursing a diet coke with their meal past 8 anyway?

Tbh the curfew is a nonsense because until alcohol is permitted indoors no one is going to be hanging about indoors and folk will be straight out after their meals and drinking until 11 or whenever the licence runs out.

32 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It's the normalisation of masks that irks me. They aren't normal and I will be delighted when they are gone. If people want to keep wearing one then by all means go for it. Things such as making people wear them whilst moving around restaurants but not whilst seated are pure theatre to the point that they are ridiculous

Another thing I can't wait to see the end of is the requirement to book everything in advance. 

it's my (albeit non scientific) view that that is all they are in pretty much any setting unless they are properly fitted medical masks which would be impractical and expensive. a visual reminder to encourage people to change their behaviour.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Who is nursing a diet coke with their meal past 8 anyway?

Tbh the curfew is a nonsense because until alcohol is permitted indoors no one is going to be hanging about indoors and folk will be straight out after their meals and drinking until 11 or whenever the licence runs out.

It's also counter-productive to what the SG intend.

Last time I was able to go out for a meal the restaurant was rammed. At 4.15pm. By allowing restaurants to operate normal hours, they may take slightly more bookings, but the dining area would be less populated at all times. After all, isn't minimising the number of people in a room the idea?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's also counter-productive to what the SG intend.

Last time I was able to go out for a meal the restaurant was rammed. At 4.15pm. By allowing restaurants to operate normal hours, they may take slightly more bookings, but the dining area would be less populated at all times. After all, isn't minimising the number of people in a room the idea?

I agree, if they wanted to phase indoor hospitality quicker than England they could have gone 2m distancing between parties but no limit on the opening hours and then down to 1m distancing between parties and then in early June normal distancing between groups which tbf is probably about 1m anyway.

I'm sure there are many other ways they could have reintroduced indoor hospitality better than they have btw the above is just an example.

18 minutes ago, 101 said:

I agree, if they wanted to phase indoor hospitality quicker than England they could have gone 2m distancing between parties but no limit on the opening hours and then down to 1m distancing between parties and then in early June normal distancing between groups which tbf is probably about 1m anyway.

I'm sure there are many other ways they could have reintroduced indoor hospitality better than they have btw the above is just an example.

I don't think they do, though. If they could get away with it, they would hold back ours a little bit longer so they can see how it goes down South.

Their incredible level of risk-aversiveness (not to mention appearing to want to let someone else make a move first, before doing the same with slightly tighter restrictions) is frustrating to watch, and must be costing an absolute fortune, but the current political climate allows this as it gives the impression they care more about the people.

Pubs are bad, remember, and the people that go to them are selfish.

Edited by Todd_is_God

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think they do, though. If they could get away with it, they would hold back ours a little bit longer so they can see how it goes down South.

Their incredible level of risk-aversiveness (not to mention appearing to want to let someone else make a move first, before doing the same with slightly tighter restrictions) is frustrating to watch, and must be costing an absolute fortune, but the current political climate allows this as it gives the impression they care more about the people.

Pubs are bad, remember, and the people that go to them are selfish.

I don't think it's about appearing to care more, I honestly think that both sides are in a game of chess where they hope the other one fucks up badly so they can score points from it, if you want your opponent to make an arse of things you can't do the same as they do

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Genuinely why have they done it then? 

I think they have done it to get the sector moving again especially considering Scottish weather isn't always conducive to planning ahead meals outdoors.

9 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I don't think it's about appearing to care more, I honestly think that both sides are in a game of chess where they hope the other one fucks up badly so they can score points from it, if you want your opponent to make an arse of things you can't do the same as they do

This isn't aimed at you, but the whole "both sides" scenario riles me. This isn't a Scotland v England thing. This is about a Government who have implemented extraordinary measures to combat a problem, which is now all but gone, and are terrified to lift them in case a small number of people get ill / die, and it impacts at the polls.

England / The Tories / WM isn't the opponent here; SARS-CoV-2 is.

Unfortunately we have a large section of the Scottish electorate who, when they aren't demonstrating an incredible lack of self-awareness by calling Unionists "flag shaggers" whilst busy shagging a different flag themselves, have lost sight of what the goal is here.

Who cares if the Scottish Economy, Hospitality, Events, Travel and Tourism industries are absolutely bodied for longer than necessary and take years to recover? As long as we have slightly less Covid deaths per 1m than England then the SG will have done amazing to these people.

This isn't aimed at you, but the whole "both sides" scenario riles me. This isn't a Scotland v England thing. This is about a Government who have implemented extraordinary measures to combat a problem, which is now all but gone, and are terrified to lift them in case a small number of people get ill / die, and it impacts at the polls.
England / The Tories / WM isn't the opponent here; SARS-CoV-2 is.
Unfortunately we have a large section of the Scottish electorate who, when they aren't demonstrating an incredible lack of self-awareness by calling Unionists "flag shaggers" whilst busy shagging a different flag themselves, have lost sight of what the goal is here.
Who cares if the Scottish Economy, Hospitality, Events, Travel and Tourism industries are absolutely bodied for longer than necessary and take years to recover? As long as we have slightly less Covid deaths per 1m than England then the SG will have done amazing to these people.

This problem will be further exacerbated now with more and more people reaching their own "normality" threshold and immediately stopping giving a f**k about those reliant on the lower tier restrictions to come along.