Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I called it for Sridhar in future, but can't see either of these two going in for it:

Doubt Whitty will do that. He doesn't strike me as enjoying the spotlight.

As for the others, can we not bring back The Jump instead?

And film it in Planica

Comments on that STV article going as expected. CLOSE THE BORDERS!!! STOP ALL FLIGHTS!! 

Ignoring that:

1) Every traveller from India would've submitted a negative PCR test. On this note, perhaps then this requirement is not very effective? 

2) India isn't red listed currently. Case numbers are of course very high, but it's a country of over 1bn people so its case rate per 100k is lower than pretty much of all of Europe at the moment. If people want to argue passengers ought to be quantantined then that's fine - perhaps they ought to be. There are some weird inconsistencies on the list which seem like sops for economic reasons or at least to prevent the failure of supply chains (France for example). 

3) This is not yet a "variant of concern" like SA or Brazil. 

The key question, ignoring the shrieking, is this: how many people are actually coming in from India to the UK at the moment and for what purposes? If it's UK nationals/residents returning then that's fine. If we've decided to let tourists in then it is not. The flights will be mostly for cargo purposes, with carriage of passengers allowed to travel to the UK being incidental to that operation. 

I don't know what other countries have chosen to do with India at the moment in terms of travel, but I would think the UK's association with India does merit consideration - you'll have much more travel between here and India than you will in Germany, for example. Whilst it does mean that trying to preserve what we can is more of a priority than other countries will be, it does also mean we are more highly exposed to risks from India. 

Just now, Michael W said:

The key question, ignoring the shrieking, is this: how many people are actually coming in from India to the UK at the moment and for what purposes?

No, the key question is "do the vaccines work against it?"

If the answer is yes (it is), insert partrige_shrug.gif here

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

1305158922_218695409(1).jpg.8ab5d6247e474bf0b456f8c7b0e16c69.jpg

That inquiry is warming up nicely, isn't it? Genuinely painful seeing this sort of thing from experts that are still in their positions having gotten it so badly wrong. 

The thing is they will just deflect to the WHO and that is rightly where they should have been looking to inform their decisions early on. The UN will need to have a look at what went well and what didn't for the WHOs response hopefully they can learn lessons for the next pandemic.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No, the key question is "do the vaccines work against it?"

If the answer is yes (it is), insert partrige_shrug.gif here

The response to that was in the Sky article. You'll never guess what it was! 

I'm just becoming increasingly fed up of hysteria around flights landing and people complaining we have some sort of open door policy when we don't. We're not New Zealand or Australia, but the measures in place are fairly consistent with other European countries and in some cases (e.g the red list and hotel quarantine) harsher. 

Remember that in the eyes of these moon howlers, if these variants mean you might get the sniffles for a few days post-vaccination while not winding up in hospital, then it means that the vaccines are 'ineffective'. 🥴

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The messages have been updated, they added fresh air to the hands, face, space slogan.

UK government "Hands, face, space and fresh air" by Freuds

No idea how the garbled nonsense of FACTS will be updated.

This is where the SFA/SPFL should be in the SG ear and asking why there’s been no fans allowed. Outdoor transmission is 20-30 times less likely than indoors and a study in Ireland found only 0.1% of cases were related to outdoors. It seems like all teams are being punished to appease the Old Firm not having full stadiums 

38 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Comments on that STV article going as expected. CLOSE THE BORDERS!!! STOP ALL FLIGHTS!! 

Ignoring that:

1) Every traveller from India would've submitted a negative PCR test. On this note, perhaps then this requirement is not very effective? 

2) India isn't red listed currently. Case numbers are of course very high, but it's a country of over 1bn people so its case rate per 100k is lower than pretty much of all of Europe at the moment. If people want to argue passengers ought to be quantantined then that's fine - perhaps they ought to be. There are some weird inconsistencies on the list which seem like sops for economic reasons or at least to prevent the failure of supply chains (France for example). 

3) This is not yet a "variant of concern" like SA or Brazil. 

The key question, ignoring the shrieking, is this: how many people are actually coming in from India to the UK at the moment and for what purposes? If it's UK nationals/residents returning then that's fine. If we've decided to let tourists in then it is not. The flights will be mostly for cargo purposes, with carriage of passengers allowed to travel to the UK being incidental to that operation. 

I don't know what other countries have chosen to do with India at the moment in terms of travel, but I would think the UK's association with India does merit consideration - you'll have much more travel between here and India than you will in Germany, for example. Whilst it does mean that trying to preserve what we can is more of a priority than other countries will be, it does also mean we are more highly exposed to risks from India. 

But can you catch it in the Curry Hoose ?

50 minutes ago, Elixir said:

This despicable c**t is absolutely LOVING it:

Balloux and Mac n Chise on Twitter have already poured cold water on the hysteria over this.

Pretty much the only "scary virus" scare story that has come to pass so far has been the pandemic threat itself in March last year - people must be getting wise to this mutation hysteria by now.

39 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This is where the SFA/SPFL should be in the SG ear and asking why there’s been no fans allowed. Outdoor transmission is 20-30 times less likely than indoors and a study in Ireland found only 0.1% of cases were related to outdoors. It seems like all teams are being punished to appease the Old Firm not having full stadiums 

Said this for many months now.

I’d add that I don’t think it’s any coincidence that crowds (however small) are allowed, literally the day after the last league matches

Hospital numbers 109 (115 yesterday).

ICU numbers  18 (16 yesterday)

204 new cases of COVID-19 reported

18,125 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

1.4% of these were positive

3 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

First time actually listening to her, wish I'd kept it on mute.

Devi says the way to avoid lockdowns is to keep your case numbers low enough. Well sure, but in the previous sentence you were just talking about full hospitals and ICUs forcing lockdowns. If you have a vaccine which stops most cases becoming hospitalisations/going into ICU then you can have higher cases numbers without a lockdown...

1 minute ago, stuart87 said:

She mentioned Brazil, India and France, 3 countries in very different positions to us. She’s really weird and her voice annoys me.

She will become irrelevant when this pandemic is over.