Coronavirus (COVID-19)

32 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

@GordonS are you going to respond to this and explain why the UK advice is correct and why the advice in other countries (several of whom have surprisingly have made a far better job of containing the spread than us) is coming from people who “don’t know what they’re talking about”?

Given @GordonS is replying to others I’m guessing the answer is “no, I won’t explain why”. Strange that.

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

That was from 19 March before the closure of pubs, bingo, restaurants and the like. Hopefully this will lessen the impact although things will still be bad.

Not if we're all out "golfing", "hiking", "walking", "running", etc, etc.............

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do you some sort of super power that lets you determine what surfaces are "suspect"? Load of absolute shite.

What aren't you getting about the advice of "stay in your house"? It isn't "stay in your house unless you have an underlying foot condition which makes a round of golf irresistible to you", it's stay in your fucking hoose full stop. If you need to keep moving then walk around your house or garden. If you must hit a golf ball then get the wee plastic ones and build a course round your house. We're all understanding what you're saying, we just think you're in the wrong.

Message received and disagreed with. Hardly saw another person all day, yeah, touched some surfaces, but I touched surfaces getting money out the cashline last week, by picking up a petrol pump yesterday, by having to open doors to toilets...

Any advice on how not to touch things would be greatly appreciated. 

I’m not planning to lock myself indoors completely and for exercise, walk around the living room in circles. If we go full lockdown, will get my exercise and vitamins from the sun by walking to and from the shops for essentials. It will likely result in me touching more surfaces than I did today.

Sorry if this upsets the ‘lock yourself indoors and do not come out at all’ brigade. 

Took the dog out for his walk round the local park. 

Was empty apart from another dog walker.

Two girls (i assume s4-6) came in and went to play on the swings. Another pal came to meet them. 

Seems like kids think they're on school holidays or at least their parent(s) do...

13 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

The wife and I thought it would be wise to discuss arrangements for if the worst happens. I now know her thoughts on burial and the service she wants. My only stipulation is I want six Falkirk FC players to be cord bearers so they can let me down one last time.

Make one of them Leo Fasan

Thinking about my desire for one last McDonald's in potentially months, there's no way I would be considering going just now otherwise.  Tens of thousands more are probably going to go out for one as a result of the closure tonight, this being a place where you're forced to touch those order screens before eating food.  All of these people will do this within the space of ~12 hours the length and breadth of the country, rather than spread out over a few weeks that it would be otherwise.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this closure is going to exacerbate the problem rather than help it.

Eta:  for avoidance of doubt, I'm refraining.  :(

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just now, Romeo said:

Don't touch them.

Great advice. Will be sure to take it onboard and try it tomorrow.... on my way to Tesco for essential hat-making tin foil. Maybe cat food. Is it OK to go down and get some? He’s running a bit short. Scared that I might have to touch something in order to achieve my goal of returning with a few packets of pussy food. Oooh fcuking Kenny Williams.

Couple of the Estates lads came back into the jail this afternoon not too happy. Apparently the local Bacon Butty and Tea outlet has stopped accepting cash - card-only for the forseeable. How fast would this thing be spreading if we were still exchanging coins and paper notes for every day-to-day transaction?

4 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Took the dog out for his walk round the local park. 

Was empty apart from another dog walker.

Two girls (i assume s4-6) came in and went to play on the swings. Another pal came to meet them. 

Seems like kids think they're on school holidays or at least their parent(s) do...

4 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Don't touch them.

Very sound advice.

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Given @GordonS is replying to others I’m guessing the answer is “no, I won’t explain why”. Strange that.

All countries have different measures. Every country is different and should be treated as such. Ireland for example still has horse racing going. They have adopted similar other provisions to us as regards closures. The Irish have also said walking is recommended if you follow social distancing . In Spain you can go out to walk your dug. 

Taking advice from our own health professionals is the right thing to do. There's a reason to listen to people like Jason Leitch and Caroline Calderwood have studied for many many many years. 

Why you seem to arrogantly dismiss their knowledge i have no idea.