Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

In fairness there is only one poster on here being a contrarian; everyone else is agreeing that we should be observing the sensible advice that we have been given.

Yep. I'm glad to be still working, and even happier that I actually should  be still working. If and when I have to stop, be it to protect my own or others' health, I will be taking the bold boy Casper for his daily exercise, and will be visiting the local supermarket (by car, in Asda's Essential Worker Hour on Sundays*). At my age, and with my health status, going for a walk is my exercise. I'm fortunate enough to live in a fairly rural location, so distance won't be an issue.

If we all end up self-isolating, then being in a not-large house with Mrs WRK and two Rosettes will pose some threat to the ol' MH.

* A much-appreciated help for all of us who work odd hours/days for the public good, but my god it still gets busy. No 2-metre gaps there! At least everyone yesterday shopped with purpose - the dawdling and  yapping with mates behaviour was kept to a minimum. Loads less coffin-dodgers, obviously, and very few kids. Someday someone will make a fortune by running supermarkets with strict demographic admission policies.

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'm practicing social distancing by putting the vast majority of contributors to this thread on ignore. The health benefits are probably negligible but my forum experience can only improve.

Social media distancing? Now that's an interesting concept.

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I knew that would be a reply, yes people do get injured at the home, however folk also get injured while outside, try taking some of that off the stats by not leaving the house.

I think you missed the point - you are at greater risk of injury while showering than walking outdoors. Walking, running and cycling below 10mph are very, very low risk activities.

If you want to stay indoors, feel free. Just don't pretend there's a public health reason to do so, and don't criticise others for following the public health advice.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You're at more risk of injuring yourself every time you have a shower than you are going for a walk round the park. In the interest of the great national effort, have you giving up showering? Using knives? Climbing stairs?

Are you at more risk of catching a highly contagious virus in your shower or at the park? Because that's what we're discussing here.

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Or how about people accept the advice as it is and don't be dicks?

Jason Leitch went for a 5k run yesterday, and I think he knows more about it than any of us on here.

I agree with you. Sadly, there are too many hell-bent on either ignoring it or not caring. As a result, we'll probably all end up being locked down totally and for longer than it otherwise would've been. Some won't take it seriously until their family members die. 

No need to panic buy - ignored. Socially distance yourself - people turn up en masse at seaside towns. Even the pubs being told to shut wasn't entirely complied with. 

The government has tried its best to allow people to continue as much as they normally would as possible, and as ever it's ruined by a significant minority being complete c***s. As a result we will all probably now suffer an enforced lockdown. 

Edited by Michael W

11 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Scotland being an alcoholic, obese, heart failure of a country, why all of a sudden every c**t wants to go outside for exercise.  By being outside "excising" there is a possibility that one could hurt themselves and need medical attention.  At this time, no hospital needs some daft golfer just been hit in the napper because  Fat Jock forgot to shout "four", staggering anywhere near a medical centre. 

Check out the Local mayors of Italy messages (posted earlier).  STAY IN THE FUCKING HOUSE!  

With all due respect that's a bloody ridiculous argument.

The "golfer" or indeed "fat jock" could just as easy "fall down the stairs in the house", "scold themselves with the kettle", "trip on the backdoor step putting out the rubbish", "slip when in the shower" etc, etc.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

I agree with you. Sadly, there are too many hell-bent on either ignoring it or not caring. As a result, we'll probably all end up being locked down totally and for longer than it otherwise would've been. Some won't take it seriously until their family members die. 

No need to panic buy - ignored. Socially distance yourself - people turn up en masse at seaside towns. Even the pubs being told to shut wasn't entirely complied with. 

The government has tried its best to allow people to continue as much as they normally would as possible, and as ever it's ruined by a significant minority being complete c***s. As a result we will all probably now suffer an enforced lockdown. 

Let's be honest, the government will have known fine well that a decent % of people would ignore advice.

Now when they put us in lockdown they can say 'we gave you a chance and you fucked it up'.

I fully expect lockdown was the plan from the start and this 'please comply or we'll go further' is just politics.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Are you at more risk of catching a highly contagious virus in your shower or at the park? Because that's what we're discussing here.

No it isn't. The guy said you shouldn't go outside in case you get injured and become a burden on the health services.

As for your question, genuinely, if you follow the social distancing advice you are at more risk of catching a disease in your shower. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Possibly the shower, if it's legionnaires.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

With all due respect that's a bloody ridiculous argument.

The "golfer" or indeed "fat jock" could just as easy "fall down the stairs in the house", "scold themselves with the kettle", "trip on the backdoor step putting out the rubbish", "slip when in the shower" etc, etc.

Fat Jock is in his house and could probably get some medical treatment at his house, probably by himself.   Playing golf at the village greens he will need assistance from someone....

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Completely agree. The photos and videos on social media over the weekend were shocking. We're going to be banned from doing things that can be done safely because too many people didn't do them safely.

We get the nanny state because too many of us act like children.

Just now, GordonS said:

Completely agree. The photos and videos on social media over the weekend were shocking. We're going to be banned from doing things that can be done safely because too many people didn't do them safely.

We get the nanny state because too many of us act like children.

Yup - there's loads of things we should be able to do as a society which we can't because of arseholes.

Some of this is lunacy though. Should we ban all driving because some people drive drunk and/or badly? 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Given that I can go for a walk around the country lanes with my hands in my pockets (the wind can be somewhat cold just now) then I'm almost certainly at higher risk of catching the virus in my own bathroom seeing as other people push the same shower button, taps and toilet flush.  If I stay at home then I'm more likely to drink, hence more likely to use the toilet, hence more likely to touch those surfaces.   

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Let's be honest, the government will have known fine well that a decent % of people would ignore advice.

Now when they put us in lockdown they can say 'we gave you a chance and you fucked it up'.

I fully expect lockdown was the plan from the start and this 'please comply or we'll go further' is just politics.

Most likely. 

The thing is, if we do that lockdown it needs to be properly enforced. People will begin to ignore it when they get bored and need to be deterred. 

I had to get my mum's prescription at the chemists and when I went along it was shut and there was a crowd of about 50 - 100 people outside.

Phoned the doctor and he says it's only going to be open for limited hours and might have to close completely.

Can see things like this getting pretty chaotic pretty fast.  People need their prescriptions.

29 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's what was tried first here. The problem is that people observe the other people around them and take their cues from them.

There were people jogging at the park right in the middle of Kuala Lumpur, so this led to a group of South American backpackers thinking the park was open and having a picnic in the park. The police had to move them on, and they weren't happy because they could see people running and were annoyed that they couldn't have their picnic.

People base their behaviour on how others are behaving.

There were loads of examples of this in the first few days here.

So, exercise was banned and compliance has gone from an estimated 60% to an estimated 92%. This will save lives.

Ambiguity has to be removed.

From having worked in Borneo, thought I'd just check.......

Yes.., right now in Kuala Lumpur, it's   8pm on Monday evening.  It's  26 degrees C ( 79 F ), and 95% humidity

The March daytime average temperature is 33 degrees C  (  91 F ).

It's not the same as a balmy springtime day in the UK.   Anyone who spends a lot of time outside in KL is deranged.

Must admit, first time I knew about the 2 metre distancing thing was this morning.

I'd previously thought it was 1 metre, and acted accordingly.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm quite sure their measures are aimed at us getting 5/10k deaths or whatever number they deem acceptable during this cycle, the skill will be timing it so the numbers don't go too high as to f**k the place, I'm not convinced they've got it right as this wasn't the original plan. 

It will be down to the general public to decide if the loss of their loved ones was a price worth taking. 

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I had to get my mum's prescription at the chemists and when I went along it was shut and there was a crowd of about 50 - 100 people outside.

Phoned the doctor and he says it's only going to be open for limited hours and might have to close completely.

Can see things like this getting pretty chaotic pretty fast.  People need their prescriptions.

How can they possibly shut chemists?  Utter stupidity.