Coronavirus (COVID-19)

When you look back over the last 12 months, the UK Gov and SG have been consistent in adding restrictions based on "the science" but never go back and remove them when it becomes apparent that the science doesn't really show they are impactful at all:
  • Sanitising surfaces regularly
  • Banning Alcohol
  • Closing hospitality
  • Masks
  • Banning Spectators
Are a few examples of measures that were brought in based on the science at the time, but, despite their being plenty of evidence that the impact of each being (at best) minimal, restrictions are never lifted. They are left in place because "well we might as well." The only thing I can think of that was brought in and then binned, was banning hospitality from playing background music.
The only logical reason I can think of for this approach is to give the continued impression that they are somehow "in control" of the virus.
But the knock-on effect is that there is a not inconsiderable group of the public who believe that not having these restrictions in place is excessively dangerous. This mentality will take a long time to shift.
To give an example, there is a bar in Glasgow which has put in planning permission for a large outdoor beer garden. This should be welcomed, but there are comments under it begging this to be denied because "It's too big - how can the staff make sure no-one stays for longer than two hours?!" 
Legal challenges, which let's face it would be one minter after another for the govt, will be around the corner when industries are left behind based on no more than the sanctimonious prejudices of wanks like Leitch and Sridhar.

Walking about Edinburgh, mainly Stockbridge earlier today to meet a few pals for a coffee. These restrictions are pointless, people are quite rightly out and about, place was heaving. This lockdown is a nonsense, get the businesses back operating again for christ sake. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

When you look back over the last 12 months, the UK Gov and SG have been consistent in adding restrictions based on "the science" but never go back and remove them when it becomes apparent that the science doesn't really show they are impactful at all:

• Sanitising surfaces regularly
  • Banning Alcohol
  • Closing hospitality
  • Masks
  • Banning Spectators

Are a few examples of measures that were brought in based on the science at the time, but, despite their being plenty of evidence that the impact of each being (at best) minimal, restrictions are never lifted. They are left in place because "well we might as well." The only thing I can think of that was brought in and then binned, was banning hospitality from playing background music.

The only logical reason I can think of for this approach is to give the continued impression that they are somehow "in control" of the virus.

But the knock-on effect is that there is a not inconsiderable group of the public who believe that not having these restrictions in place is excessively dangerous. This mentality will take a long time to shift.

To give an example, there is a bar in Glasgow which has put in planning permission for a large outdoor beer garden. This should be welcomed, but there are comments under it begging this to be denied because "It's too big - how can the staff make sure no-one stays for longer than two hours?!" 

Agree with every word.

The only thing I'd add is that I think SG / WM (SG particularly) seem scared of the big decisions that are needed, and its simply easier to do nothing. Doing nothing (until such a time where you have little option) doesn't have the same consequences of, say, allowing football fans at football (even if evidence suggests it would be safe), should it go disastrously wrong.

They were scared to go IN to lockdown last year and dithered. They're now scared to come OUT of lockdown this year.

Ending restrictions, particularly SD is going to take some boldness that I don't see from NS, nor the advisors she's so intent on leaning on.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I was in ASDA this morning, glad that I didn't forget to take my own phone to call for a taxi. Have you seen the state of the supermarket phones that get used for phoning for a taxi. not difficult to assume by the look of them that many haven't been wiped clean since 2008.

They probably have not been used since 2008.

Something else that has had its day.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Watching Russia v Slovenia just now. Fans in the ground in a significant number. Not sure Russia have ever had no fans at all at any point be it club or international level.

In which case their numbers should be astronomical compared to Scotland who have had 100% ban on all fans.

Anyone know how the two compare?

Russia has had its own vaccine since October . It was not made in England so the London based media ignored it.

They however don't test as much as us and figures are high, they have not vaccinated as much of the population and I guess it will take them a long time to do this

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Russia has had its own vaccine since October . It was not made in England so the London based media ignored it.

They however don't test as much as us and figures are high, they have not vaccinated as much of the population and I guess it will take them a long time to do this

They are, quite literally, 37% lower than here.

19 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Walking about Edinburgh, mainly Stockbridge earlier today to meet a few pals for a coffee. These restrictions are pointless, people are quite rightly out and about, place was heaving. This lockdown is a nonsense, get the businesses back operating again for christ sake. 

But this is the thing, the businesses (with the visible few exceptions) have been operating throughout this.

We've developed an absolutely fucking horrible live to work culture, where - if vaccine passports did become a thing - unvaccinated under 30s will be going to work in pubs but can't then go and drink in them after they finish their shift.

I just wish Stockbridge, Scotland and the whole of Britain had wised up a lot earlier and gone about doing as they pleased re. meeting pals outdoors.

Absolutely harmless and if enough people do it the police are powerless to enforce a thing.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are, quite literally, 37% lower than here.

Their low level of testing causes issues with the Russian figures alongside the vast size of the country. 

The Russian statistical agency Rosstat announced a Covid death rate of 186,057 for the period of January to November while  the government figure was 55,265 .  Even here the National statistics figures are higher than the government measure but not be that level of difference. 

There will be thousands who have it and are never counted. 

However the Russians are moving in the right direction, the more nations that have fans in stadiums and do normal things the more pressure we can put on the government to get our lives back.

When I see how many tweets NS put out last night about a meaningless rugby match, I begin to find myself wondering if there is some kind of anti-football agenda. 

We've completed last year's Scottish cup, played the League cup out in full, the top 2 tiers are a few weaks away from finishing the league season, and this year's Scottish cup is now being ramped up. We have also fulfilled all our international fixtures and attempted to get lower leagues up and running. All this in spite of several serious, high-profile breaches of the Covid protocols.

Meanwhile in rugby there have been a few internationals., and the 2 elite Pro teams have played in their multi-national tournaments. There has been absolutely no domestic rugby in Scotland at all, at any level. Not a single game.

But clearly the SG has it in for football!

I haven't been following this thread, but I must say it's pleasing to see most here with a common-sense attitude to where we are and how we get back to life as normal. I really fear that TPTB don't want normal to return, but if enough of us demand it then there is hope.

I cannot stand the types on radio phone-ins and Twitter etc who are clamouring for more severe lockdowns and wetting themselves at the prospect of their local Co-op removing their one-way system.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I haven't been following this thread, but I must say it's pleasing to see most here with a common-sense attitude to where we are and how we get back to life as normal. I really fear that TPTB don't want normal to return, but if enough of us demand it then there is hope.

I cannot stand the types on radio phone-ins and Twitter etc who are clamouring for more severe lockdowns and wetting themselves at the prospect of their local Co-op removing their one-way system.

One-way systems are another cracker. I was at the doctor a few weeks ago and I was the only member of the public in the building, yet had to get ushered down a side corridor and out a fire escape (which I wasn't permitted to touch myself) rather than walk back out the main door.

Same with supermarkets. I can walk up and down every aisle in the supermarket in whatever direction I please, but it's deemed to be dangerous to walk out the same side of the main entrance I came in.

Utterly utterly bizarre behaviour.

12 minutes ago, Shipa said:

We've completed last year's Scottish cup, played the League cup out in full, the top 2 tiers are a few weaks away from finishing the league season, and this year's Scottish cup is now being ramped up. We have also fulfilled all our international fixtures and attempted to get lower leagues up and running. All this in spite of several serious, high-profile breaches of the Covid protocols.

Meanwhile in rugby there have been a few internationals., and the 2 elite Pro teams have played in their multi-national tournaments. There has been absolutely no domestic rugby in Scotland at all, at any level. Not a single game.

Hi Tom English

Because there isn't an appetite for it at government level.

Government have spent 12 months drilling fear into the population with the overarching message that if you're within 2 metres of someone you might kill them. Vaccine or no vaccine, when you've stood in front of the cameras everyday for a year, you're not going to drop that message overnight.

Exit from lockdown will be a slow, slow business. Full football stadiums are at the very bottom of the list.

I don't like it anymore than you, but surely you can read the mood music.

Of course I can read the mood music, but the football authorities really need to be asking questions. The US who've made even more of a mess than this than we did, have had fans back at sports for months now. Not diddy 300 numbers either. Absolute nonsense that come late July when A - most people will have been vaccinated, and the elderly/vulnerable twice , B - covid doesnt like summer months and C - you're outdoors, that the usual crowds of about 200 at Stair Park and most of the other seaside league teams will still have no fans there. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

One-way systems are another cracker. I was at the doctor a few weeks ago and I was the only member of the public in the building, yet had to get ushered down a side corridor and out a fire escape (which I wasn't permitted to touch myself) rather than walk back out the main door.

Same with supermarkets. I can walk up and down every aisle in the supermarket in whatever direction I please, but it's deemed to be dangerous to walk out the same side of the main entrance I came in.

Despite it going on for a year now and everyone else doing the same, I still feel like a fanny sometimes following these bizarre practices. 

14 minutes ago, Shipa said:

The reason why football is playing and egg-chasing is not in Scotland, is because football is a successful and popular sport in Scotland and egg-chasing is not.

Get back in your box.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Fans in Amsterdam as well I see.

It's actually becoming increasingly infuriating now to see not just how far behind the SG are in terms of relaxing restrictions, despite being over halfway to vaccinating all adults, but also to listen to the negative messaging coming out from their advisors on a near daily basis.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Reminds me of going to M&S on Wed. A lassie at the entrance wiping baskets and I strolled up to the door as nobody was there, she panicked and said "nooooo you need to go around the walkway", so theres me like an absolute bellend walking through this maze type set up to get into the place. I can only imagine what she'd have been like if I attempted to go out the shop using the same door as I went in