Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest bernardblack

Surely playing golf by yourself is one of the more sensible things to do? Given you don’t touch the pin or the bunker rakes etc?

23 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's a cheap get out.

You're using poor leadership to absolve yourself of responsibility.

I think cyderspaceman is in France, where things are pretty restrictive - you need a permit to go for a shite (outdoors).

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They probably don't need to go work, as in the work they do isn't essential. But they get paid to do it and the people who pay them aren't telling them to stay at home, until that time they will keep going to work. What we need is the government to step in and make it mandatory for business to close.

New Zealand got 25 cases and within a week they've closed their borders and are about to go into lockdown. We're nearly 3 weeks on from our first death and we're still going to the pub and work every day. It's actually scandalous how we're being led at the moment.

Perhaps not scandalous, but equally worrying is the fact people need to be  stopped doing something  by government instruction rather than simple common sense.  A lot of people hiding behind this.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Playing Golf at your local course is FAR less dangerous to both yourself and others as opposed to being expected by the same First Minister to board a busy commuter train and travel from one area to another and back each day to work in a crowded City Centre office doing a task which isn't an emergency in any way whatsoever.

I do understand what your saying about "work requirements" as opposed to "leisure choice", however if the risks are indeed so high, then I'd have expected a lockdown situation and I'd also have expected some sort of "danger money" being paid for those expected to work, especially if they're earning below the figures that are being handed out by the Gov to those NOT working.

Ultimately it's about common sense but at the same time people aren't stupid and if you can make a case for NOT doing one thing, I can't see how you can then make a case for DOING the other.

That's not really relevant, mate. They're two separate issues.

I do sympathise with your travel concerns, I really do.

But this is about people choosing to go outside when there is absolutely no need to do so.

I don't think people should be on crowded trains, but I do understand the economy needs to function. That's difficult.

Someone going out for a completely non-essential reason is just daft and selfish.

Just now, bernardblack said:

Surely playing golf by yourself is one of the more sensible things to do? Given you don’t touch the pin or the bunker takes etc?

The most sensible thing is sitting in your hoose. The fact that people keep looking for exceptions to this rule proves that we need more of VT's "truncheon to the face" policy.

Guest bernardblack
The most sensible thing is sitting in your hoose. The fact that people keep looking for exceptions to this rule proves that we need more of VT's "truncheon to the face" policy.

Agreed that sitting inside is the best thing to do. I’ll be running a 5k later on and won’t be going near anyone on that. Not running that would have a severe impact on me

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Where I am it wouldn't work , doesn't work - we are on Day 2 of lockdown and people are already ignoring the rules i.e. 2+ family members going out together - passing through security with no more than a friendly wave  -no permits shown, nothing.  The culture here is that rules are to be obeyed by the poor and therefore, if the security guard is poorer than you then he/she cannot stop you going about your business, nor will he/she try to.  

Lockdowns work great in obedient cultures, otherwise not so much.

Strangely enough the ban on alcohol sales was strictly implemented from Day 1 with no exception - go figure. 

PAY SECURITY GUARDS FOOTBALLERS WAGES!!!

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Agreed that sitting inside is the best thing to do. I’ll be running a 5k later on and won’t be going near anyone on that. Not running that would have a severe impact on me

It's not essential, though. Is it?

You won't die if you don't do it.

So, why do it? You know fine well that you shouldn't.

No offence, but this is having a severe impact on everyone, or should be, like Sturgeon said today. Your life should not feel normal just now.

That means everyone. You are not a special case.

Edited by JTS98

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Ultimately it's about common sense but at the same time people aren't stupid and if you can make a case for NOT doing one thing, I can't see how you can then make a case for DOING the other.

It's about cutting down the risk of contact as much as possible, and thus the transmission rate, when you have a choice. We're past the stage of " Why shouldn't I be allowed to do x when I have to do y or they get to do z, it's not fair!"

Guest bernardblack
It's not essential, though. Is it?
You won't die if you don't do it.
So, why do it? You know fine well that you shouldn't.
No offence, but this is having a severe impact on everyone, or should be, like Sturgeon said today. Your life should not feel normal just now.
That means everyone. You are not a special case.

It’s hardly organising a piss up in a park though is it? It’s running in isolation near absolutely nobody

9 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Have you ever visited rural France?  :lol:

I'm much the same to be honest (rural Ayrshire), walk out my estate and it's the hills and the burn for miles with just an odd isolated farmhouse here and there.

A) Little to no chance of meeting another punter.

B) Even with a lockdown it would be both impossible and indeed pointless to enforce.

C) Won't matter anyway as I'll probably contract the virus at work in Glasgow and then pass on to my rural community when I visit Tesco for my shopping.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Do you some sort of super power that lets you determine what surfaces are "suspect"? Load of absolute shite.

What aren't you getting about the advice of "stay in your house"? It isn't "stay in your house unless you have an underlying foot condition which makes a round of golf irresistible to you", it's stay in your fucking hoose full stop. If you need to keep moving then walk around your house or garden. If you must hit a golf ball then get the wee plastic ones and build a course round your house. We're all understanding what you're saying, we just think you're in the wrong.

No I don't have a superpower. I don't actually have to touch anything. If required I could walk the entire way with my hands in my pockets. There are no stiles or gates en route. I would consider door handles, counters or other such things as 'supect surfaces'

If you want to talk about following advice, that is exactly what I am now doing. My golf course is closed and also off limits due to government decree. I can excercise within 2k of my house but no cycling for some reason.

You and others do not realise that the situation is NOT the same for everyone.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, bernardblack said:

It’s hardly organising a piss up in a park though is it? It’s running in isolation near absolutely nobody

'No, no, no. I'm different.'

You do realise that this is the problem?

Just stay in your hoose. Your run is not essential.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think cyderspaceman is in France, where things are pretty restrictive - you need a permit to go for a shite (outdoors).

Actually you don't.  :lol:  The buggers use the whole countryside as a toilet. They even pee in the garden. So do I, good for the compost.

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

My morning drive has come down to 45-50 minutes from an hour, which is nice. It's weird, though, seeing one of the country's main arteries (A1/M1) so bloody quiet. Radio traffic updates are surreal, as well.

45 minutes for me today. Only other time I have driven into Zürich it took just under double that.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

No, the most sensible thing is to take regular outdoor exercise while following strict social distancing measures at all times. And then washing your hands as soon as you get in the door. Only those who can't follow those rules gets a truncheon in the face.

People seem to be massively underestimating the serious mental and physical strains that twelve weeks or more of shutting yourself between four walls would have on anyone in the general population.

Guest bernardblack
'No, no, no. I'm different.'
You do realise that this is the problem?
Just stay in your hoose. Your run is not essential.

The run is essential for my mental health tbh.

I don’t think you really understand how this virus spreads.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, virginton said:

No, the most sensible thing is to take regular outdoor exercise while following strict social distancing measures at all times. And then washing your hands as soon as you get in the door. Only those who can't follow those rules gets a truncheon in the face.

People seem to be massively underestimating the serious mental and physical strains that twelve weeks or more of shutting yourself between four walls would have on anyone in the general population.

You seem to be massively over-estimating the capacity of the public to follow instructions, maintain hygiene, and to resist social habits that have been hard-wired since childhood.