Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Do all these people *really* need to go into work? Granted you don't know what job they do, but that really isn't helpful at all at the moment. 

They probably don't need to go work, as in the work they do isn't essential. But they get paid to do it and the people who pay them aren't telling them to stay at home, until that time they will keep going to work. What we need is the government to step in and make it mandatory for business to close.

New Zealand got 25 cases and within a week they've closed their borders and are about to go into lockdown. We're nearly 3 weeks on from our first death and we're still going to the pub and work every day. It's actually scandalous how we're being led at the moment.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I’m not being daft though. Being daft would be piling into a Greenock pub, a crowded Scotrail train, not washing my hsnds and gobbing over passers-by. Put your big brush down.

Ask yourself, is this essential?

Is your game of golf essential?

You won't give up a game of golf in a global health emergency on the same day as the First Minister said on live radio that you should.

That's daft. I'm sorry, but it just is.

Just now, pozbaird said:

Had enough trying to reason with you. I’m now stepping back to say out loud ‘I’m away for nine holes in the fresh air well away from anyone’. Bye.

Forgot to add. Did you miss the bit about me having a permanent underlying foot condition that required treatment at Monklands, and the wearing of special trainers and insoles to manage the pain? The bit about keeping moving and my circulation going actually helping? Apologies, but I will STILL BE ABLE TO GO OUT WALKING UNDER FULL LOCKDOWN TOO.

How the fcuk aren’t you understanding this?

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Forgot to add. Did you miss the bit about me having a permanent underlying foot condition that required treatment at Monklands, and the wearing of special trainers and insoles to manage the pain? The bit about keeping moving and my circulation going actually helping? Apologies, but I will STILL BE ABLE TO GO OUT WALKING UNDER FULL LOCKDOWN TOO.

Mind and try not to touch the flag with your bare hands. Probably wipe down your clubs too. Watch what you touch on your essential trip out the house.

People here have health conditions that require movement to. You move in your home.

Edited by JTS98

Email from my work late last night to say they are shutting the doors at 5pm today until further notice. I've went in to get a bunch of stuff that I'll need in order to work from home for the foreseeable.

Shame, I've enjoyed driving to work in 20 minutes rather than the usual hour.

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That too, but it's really sad that so many folk think getting pished is some sort of vitaal thing they won't miss out on no matter what. 

They could always see your Chemist pals and get some "gear" instead.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

That's a cheap get out.

You're using poor leadership to absolve yourself of responsibility.

No. I'm not.   As long as I don't come into close proximity with anyone, or touch a suspect surface, there is no danger of infection. It is perfectly possible for me to do that. I have been able to go for a half hour walk and sometimes not even see another living soul, for the last 15 years. Other people may be less isolated but proximity is the thing. The situation isn't normal. You want to make it more abnormal, I want to make it less, despite what Nicola says.

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

Email from my work late last night to say they are shutting the doors at 5pm today until further notice. I've went in to get a bunch of stuff that I'll need in order to work from home for the foreseeable.

Now you can get to work in under a minute.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

No. I'm not.   As long as I don't come into close proximity with anyone, or touch a suspect surface, there is no danger of infection. It is perfectly possible for me to do that. I have been able to go for a half hour walk and sometimes not even see another living soul, for the last 15 years. Other people may be less isolated but proximity is the thing. The situation isn't normal. You want to make it more abnormal, I want to make it less, despite what Nicola says.

Is it? All the time?

Ok.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They probably don't need to go work, as in the work they do isn't essential. But they get paid to do it and the people who pay them aren't telling them to stay at home, until that time they will keep going to work. What we need is the government to step in and make it mandatory for business to close.

New Zealand got 25 cases and within a week they've closed their borders and are about to go into lockdown. We're nearly 3 weeks on from our first death and we're still going to the pub and work every day. It's actually scandalous how we're being led at the moment.

This.

Think some of these boomers think they are invincible. Just continuing life as normal.

Won't be told what to do by Gen x/Millenials. Their arrogance will literally be the death of them.

59 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Sturgeon was rightly having a go at the public going to parks etc yesterday but doubt Scotrail will even get a mention today.

Really mixed message coming from the government Mon to Fri its business as usual but stay in your house at the weekend.

The line will be that people should have used their cars to go into work instead. 

18 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Her word was 'essential', my apologies.

It is not essential to go for a walk. I could get the jail for going for a walk at the moment.

I'm exercising in my flat, like everyone else in Malaysia has to.

Going for a walk is not essential.

Being inside is shite, but going out is not essential. Open a window, go to your garden. Whatever.

Again, I'll repeat what I said earlier. Once it was made clear to Malaysians that exercising was not ok, compliance in general with the movement restrictions went from 60% to 92%. Think about that.

Mate all your posts are proof that people need to go outside!

Just now, JTS98 said:

Mind and try not to touch the flag with your bare hands.

People here have health conditions that require movement to. You move in your home.

Where I am it wouldn't work , doesn't work - we are on Day 2 of lockdown and people are already ignoring the rules i.e. 2+ family members going out together - passing through security with no more than a friendly wave  -no permits shown, nothing.  The culture here is that rules are to be obeyed by the poor and therefore, if the security guard is poorer than you then he/she cannot stop you going about your business, nor will he/she try to.  

Lockdowns work great in obedient cultures, otherwise not so much.

Strangely enough the ban on alcohol sales was strictly implemented from Day 1 with no exception - go figure. 

Me, 2 months ago: teachers are moany arseholes and have it easy with all their fucking weekends off and extended holidays.

Me, 2 hours into home schooling a 6 + 9 year old: I believe teachers to be god like beings who should be revered and worshipped daily.

10 minutes ago, mathematics said:

My morning drive has come down to 45-50 minutes from an hour, which is nice. It's weird, though, seeing one of the country's main arteries (A1/M1) so bloody quiet. Radio traffic updates are surreal, as well.

3 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

No. I'm not.   As long as I don't come into close proximity with anyone, or touch a suspect surface, there is no danger of infection. It is perfectly possible for me to do that. 

Do you some sort of super power that lets you determine what surfaces are "suspect"? Load of absolute shite.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What aren't you getting about the advice of "stay in your house"? It isn't "stay in your house unless you have an underlying foot condition which makes a round of golf irresistible to you", it's stay in your fucking hoose full stop. If you need to keep moving then walk around your house or garden. If you must hit a golf ball then get the wee plastic ones and build a course round your house. We're all understanding what you're saying, we just think you're in the wrong.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Ask yourself, is this essential?

Is your game of golf essential?

You won't give up a game of golf in a global health emergency on the same day as the First Minister said on live radio that you should.

That's daft. I'm sorry, but it just is.

Playing Golf at your local course is FAR less dangerous to both yourself and others as opposed to being expected by the same First Minister to board a busy commuter train and travel from one area to another and back each day to work in a crowded City Centre office doing a task which isn't an emergency in any way whatsoever.

I do understand what your saying about "work requirements" as opposed to "leisure choice", however if the risks are indeed so high, then I'd have expected a lockdown situation and I'd also have expected some sort of "danger money" being paid for those expected to work, especially if they're earning below the figures that are being handed out by the Gov to those NOT working.

Ultimately it's about common sense but at the same time people aren't stupid and if you can make a case for NOT doing one thing, I can't see how you can then make a case for DOING the other.