Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some bint on bbc thinks masks and social distancing could be in place for the next few years incase Madagascar hasn’t been fully vaccinated
I only caught the last few minutes of it so don’t know the full context but it sounds like another case of health workers wanting to micro manage everything

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n728.full

IMG_1616314457.309599.jpg

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n699.full

Again this proves much the same point

37 occurrences in roughly 17 million doses is rough 1 in every 459,000 people

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n699.full

The UK had 28,000 hospital admissions for Pulmonary Embolism in 2011 alone (must take into account that may include 1 personal suffering multiple time). That however works out at a case in 1 of every 2,250 - I’m sure it wasn’t actually this high but I hope this proves my point.

Of course they can never rule anything out because in science most concepts aren’t a 100% fact, but the likelihood is right now that there is no correlation.

Aren't you comparing the figures for the general population over a whole year with the figures for the vaccinated over a much shorter period (I'm assuming a day or so after being jabbed)?

On the whole masks and distancing longetivity "debate"

Why does no one straight up ask these people why, given that some of the most unexposed places in the world like Australia & NZ don't plan on keeping them when they vaccinate their populations and bin all restrictions, we would need them here?

I've said it before but you only really hear this guff from people who it simply doesn't affect. So long as they can keep working from home, get their Waitrose deliveries, enjoy time in their gardens, and are able to have their small band of friends over for dinner parties, they will see no difference in their lives. They don't live in the real world, and have no grasp on how the parts of life most people enjoy and look forward to are impacted by having the likes of SD in place.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I see someone stole a vial of the vaccine from a vaccination center in Edinburgh.

Surely someone can't be that stupid?

Well yes I can, I shouldn't be surprised.

Bet they are a right p***k.

If they want to ban us from Brazil and South Africa then fine, but I'm going to need much more on these "dangerous variants" before accepting that holidays to Greece/Spain etc can't happen. 

Basically shitting ourselves here from something that doesn't even exist. 

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"At all costs"

You could apply this argument to any other virus that doesn't actually exist.

For example, banning travel based on the same argument in 2019 would probably have stopped Covid-19 coming here.

But... where do you draw the line when it comes to preventing the potential importation of something which only exists hypothetically?

3 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting debate!

I’m not convinced that it’s too unexpected for Under 50’s to be more affected by blood clots - not always but often a cause is poor lifestyle. Overindulgence in fast food is much higher in younger populations and sedentary lifestyles in younger populations are also becoming very high. These risk factors suggest that it’s not inconceivable that under 50s could be nearly as badly affected as over 50s at this period of time.

Edit: A vast majority of the Under 50s who’ve actually had the vaccines to be part of studies so far will be the clinically vulnerable making the findings even more expected.

I just hope that over exaggerating news headlines don’t put people off taking the Vaccines.

I think this is the reason why the risk has been downplayed.

Even if a link has been proved, countries would continue to deploy the vaccine anyway. So the only barrier to people taking the AZ vaccine is people themselves saying they don't want it. Britain uniquely has vaccinated tens of millions of people with AZ so I thinl there has been a concerted effort by Government, media etc to head off AZ scepticism, in part by dismissing other countries' moves to pause vaccination .

Lots of successful vaccinations in history gave small numbers of people unpleasant side effects but continued with vaccinations. The polio vaccination, for example has given a very very small number of people polio, yet it is still in widespread use today.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is probably a D Notice on reporting on UK vaccine side effects.

It's hard to believe that the UK is the only country which hasn't had issues with AZ.

There have also been claims of editors not accepting stories on side effects, talk radio banning discussion of it and Eammon Holmes said live on telly there are reporting restrictions.

The editorial line on anything categorised as national security is controlled by the government. That's why there has never been any investigation into the links between the Manchester bomber and the security services. 

Some deeply sociopathic comments in the press today by people who need sectioned. I despise these public health weirdos thinking they have the power to micromanage the population. Can only hope people will simply move on and not comply once they have had their vaccine.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I come in here for a bit of relief from St. Mirren with some comparatively light-hearted subject matter and get reminded of this. 

Shocking.

Aye, you don't expect your teams f**k ups to get slated here. Could point out paisley isn't in east ren, but that would make me look huffy and bitter.

Aren't you comparing the figures for the general population over a whole year with the figures for the vaccinated over a much shorter period (I'm assuming a day or so after being jabbed)?

Good point - I should probably have divided the first figure by about 5 or 6