Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

Probably answered pages ago but why did a certain area in Italy get hit so bad.

Why there?

Chinese and at leat one Italian workers returning from Wuhan after Chinese New Year. Was up in ski resort so everybody close to each other. Italian greetings and culture is quite touchy feely too so that probably didn't help. Especially in a family environment.

I'd cut them a bit of slack at the moment, can't be easy occupying some of them all day at the moment. 

I am about to find out. I have a 24 hour shift coming up looking after an Autistic guy in his home.
The highlight of his day is normally being able to go out to a cafe or for a meal somewhere.
Social distancing is also an issue for him as are crowds so the normal shopping should be interesting’ as well.

4 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Chinese and at leat one Italian workers returning from Wuhan after Chinese New Year. Was up in ski resort so everybody close to each other. Italian greetings and culture is quite touchy feely too so that probably didn't help. Especially in a family environment.

According to a friend of mine of Italian extraction it seems like Italy's a bit of a perfect storm for something like this to hit hard...a much more tactile culture than most countries in Northern Europe, one of if not the oldest populations in Europe and by our standards a very high incidence of multi-generational living...people tend to live at home until they're married and a hell of a lot of families will also have Nonna living with them.

Currently on pretty crowded train en route to glesgy. Certainly no sign of social distancing measures or any signs that train seats / tables etc have been sterilised. Pray for me.

According to a friend of mine of Italian extraction it seems like Italy's a bit of a perfect storm for something like this to hit hard...a much more tactile culture than most countries in Northern Europe, one of if not the oldest populations in Europe and by our standards a very high incidence of multi-generational living...people tend to live at home until they're married and a hell of a lot of families will also have Nonna living with them.
There's also a laid back attitude to rules and regulations as well. I'm not knocking this, it's incredibly laid back ala most Mediterranean countries.

I'm guessing to begin with they had even more folk flouting the rules than we have.

But hopefully you're right and there's is a perfect storm, and this extra few weeks gives us time to prepare better.

There's no doubt it'll be bad. But Italy bad would be horrendous.

So when will non essential workers get proper protection?
You can’t congregate outside but it’s ok to do so at work? If hospitals get overrun then it’s out of order to ask anyone to do any non essential job.
Very much agree with this.

All the morons congregating at parks and beaches etc just got a telling off last night by the government. Yet here we are Monday morning and a significant number are still commuting into factories and offices.

I'm actually working from home in a non-essential role. My wife is a nurse and obviously away into the hospital. As we are both working we have had to ask family to watch our daughter thereby increasing our social interaction.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s been a surprising lack of these characters kicking around.

348A4FAE-14DD-4114-8D7C-522F09B0DBF1.thumb.jpeg.beb0b302f254e091770d8de9041e1ee3.jpeg

Probably all in self isolation.

Some fans really struggle to cope with the prospect of relegation.

With nobody knowing what is going to happen to the season I guess these people have just gone home. 

There's also a laid back attitude to rules and regulations as well. I'm not knocking this, it's incredibly laid back ala most Mediterranean countries.

I'm guessing to begin with they had even more folk flouting the rules than we have.

But hopefully you're right and there's is a perfect storm, and this extra few weeks gives us time to prepare better.

There's no doubt it'll be bad. But Italy bad would be horrendous.
That's right about the rules. Red traffic lights are seen as a challenge rather than an order.
[emoji38]

I am going to stick my neck out here and predict that the measure taken so far in the UK, and despite all the arseholes ignoring it, are going to prove hugely effective.

Whether that's for the best in the long run, who knows, since once the reporting reflects that, folk will probably start to get lax, and pressure will grow to get back to normal. We are probably a country well placed to have a highly lethal second wave.

I am going to stick my neck out here and predict that the measure taken so far in the UK, and despite all the arseholes ignoring it, are going to prove hugely effective.

Whether that's for the best in the long run, who knows, since once the reporting reflects that, folk will probably start to get lax, and pressure will grow to get back to normal. We are probably a country well placed to have a highly lethal second wave.
Second waves will not be as severe as the really bad first ones though, because the amount of data from around the world will be massive. We'll also be much closer to treatment and vaccine.

Second waves will not be as severe as the really bad first ones though, because the amount of data from around the world will be massive. We'll also be much closer to treatment and vaccine.
I go from optimistic about a quick return to normality, to thinking it will never be normal again on an almost hourly basis!

Right now I think we might just get a grip on this with the measures in place.*

*Based on no expertise at all of course, just my own opinion, before some wee VL steams in asking me if I'm an epidemiologist now.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

@CountyFan

I know there are others here who also drink in the station, but you have the honour of being the only one I remember, they are punting all their ales for 4 pound a litre, if you take any sort of sealable container down they will fill that shit up. 

One of the stations top bois here too, hopefully they start doing the same with Tennents x

47 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

A different story here.

Researchers in Milan that the version of the coronavirus in Lombardy matched an outbreak in Germany, centred on a businessman from Munich who had met a woman from Shanghai carrying the virus.

This would mean that while the Italian authorities were closing the air routes from China, the virus could have already arrived from Germany.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/dj3jonuhi1/coronavirus-year-of-the-mask

I have had a few emails and texts from bookies saying they've "got you covered" with virtual horse racing. Absolute parasites.

I saw a screenshot from SkyBet’s prices on Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway. Unfortunately I’m not joking.