Coronavirus (COVID-19)

21 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I hadn't thought of that tbh. 

In saying that, none of the funerals I've ever been to have actually been in a church though - even my gran who practically lived there was just at the crematorium. Do many people have them at the actual place of worship? I genuinely don't know

In England the last few I’ve been to were in the crem.  In Scotland it’s been a mixed bag.  The last two the service was at the graveside.  One about 3 months ago and one pre-pandemic.  The one before that the service was in the house before moving to the burial.  I was told this was the norm in Fife where it took place.

Just now, parsforlife said:

I agree with the first 2.  But I don't want a world where Social distancing is even advised,  I want to celebrate a last minute winner with guys jumping over each other,  I want to be part of a tight crowd at a gig,  I want to sit next to my mates in a pub,  even if that most of the time that its 'possible' to space out more. A world where that is discouraged carries the scars of this year.

Tbf that's why I said "where possible" but I agree with you that it's not a great way of putting it.

I've changed my mind now. Get it to f**k.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

In saying that, none of the funerals I've ever been to have actually been in a church though - even my gran who practically lived there was just at the crematorium. Do many people have them at the actual place of worship? I genuinely don't know

My parents both had a service at the church and then on to Buckie Crematorium.

I have only been to two funerals in NI that didn't have a church service first (and one of those had a service in the funeral parlour). All other funerals I have attended have been in a church/chapel.

I've said many times that there is nothing wrong with giving advice, so long as it's not mandatory and can be followed or ignored on a personal choice.
Masks - consider wearing a mask if you are ill and need to go out and about and be indoors. Fine.
Hands - was your hands regularly. Should be a given. Fine.
Social Distancing - keep away from people where possible. This happens naturally anyway. Again fine.
There is no puropse in forcing everyone to wear masks indoors and keep distant from everyone outwith your household throughout the winter and into 2022 "just in case" they pick up a mild illness, because it really does impact the ability for businesses to trade, for people to enjoy using said businesses, and generally are just a pain in the arse, particularly for staff, who are seemingly always forgotten about when talking about how much of an annoyance they are.
When these restrictions are lifted, the first person who moans in a busy bar that people are too close to them, that others on the train have sat in the seat next them and are not wearing a mask can get themselves squarely to f**k and mind their own business.
Washing your hands is not a restriction - what it might do though is for there to be better hand-cleaning facilities.

Lost track of the number of football grounds with no running water, freezing water, empty soap dispensers or no way to dry your hands.

It's like a throwback to the worst pubs in a bygone era.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Washing your hands is not a restriction - what it might do though is for there to be better hand-cleaning facilities.

Lost track of the number of football grounds with no running water, freezing water, empty soap dispensers or no way to dry your hands.

It's like a throwback to the worst pubs in a bygone era.

It all went wrong when they started letting women in.

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

All four of my grandparents and my dad have passed away in the last couple of years. Three of the funerals were at the crematorium, one was at a hotel. My gran's last year was an outdoor service only.

Gran Church, neice grave side, Mil Church, mum Church, Fil Church, uncle crematorium, wife funeral parlour, dad funeral parlour. That's been mine in recent years,some of the church ones were hard going as most attendees weren't churchgoers so the hymns were a drag. 

Edited by ayrmad

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When it was announced that 2 households could meet up outdoors again I reflected that my neighbours have been doing this for months and it's hardly a concession.

I don’t think your neighbours are alone there. The parks and walks are rammed with people on the nice days. Groups are not uncommon.

I could do with a haircut. That would be a good concession.

Lockdown rules haven't been followed for months, and anyone who is following them to the letter is the tiny minority.

Sturgeon has completely fucked herself by acting as if shutting things down etc., is a fear tactic anymore, all she's doing is aggravating people who can see the light at the end of the tunnel and just want to run to it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lockdown rules haven't been followed for months, and anyone who is following them to the letter is the tiny minority.

Sturgeon has completely fucked herself by acting as if shutting things down etc., is a fear tactic anymore, all she's doing is aggravating people who can see the light at the end of the tunnel and just want to run to it.

Indeed, and now I have Run To You by Bryan Adams in my head.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I had to go into the office yesterday to collect some paperwork.  Usual train at 7:30am which is often standing only had 2 folk in my carriage. The station car park had that's all but full by then had the total of 8 cars. Yes I am sad enough to have counted. 

City centre still dead. Basically only workies and Deliveroo guys about. Shops all closed as are a lot of the food places.  Masks been worn everywhere.  Based on that I'd say lock down where it was most effective is still effective 

Incidently, the office is on George Square and had received the treatment from the "Pee-pul".

IMG_20210309_120221.thumb.jpg.04635e3d535616aee3bd4be0102ca958.jpg

When it was announced that 2 households could meet up outdoors again I reflected that my neighbours have been doing this for months and it's hardly a concession.

There are plenty of people out there following the rules exactly to the letter, and this change will bring a great relief to them. That's enough to make it worth doing.

You've got to remember that some folk will have been absolutely broken by this, genuinely terrified by the messaging that came out at the start and therefore being worried about even activities that most people have now accepted as being pretty safe (such as small outdoor meetings).

Slightly disheartening news on infection rates.  England now has a lower rate per 100K than Scotland.

Also on a "Council" breakdown  Clackmannanshire is now the worst in the UK

My insider (From Dollar) tells me there was a huge "Rangers" party in Alva at the weekend so watch their figures quite closely. he also tells me that Alva has more than 1 "Church" giving out underwhelming message to it's followers.  Again with Churches opening up will be interesting to focus on this area.  Any Alva Church Going Rangers supporting insiders on P&B ?

In the UK charts Falkirk is at 10, Stirling at 12, West Lothian at 15 & Glasgow City at 16.

There are only 23 LAs now with rates above 100 in the UK.

Edited by superbigal

My company sent the reps in England back on the road on Monday and we had a Teams meeting this morning for our Senior Management to get feedback. All of them reported the same thing - factories, construction sites, offices all paying lip service to Covid. The offices are slightly better - people behind screens, wearing masks etc but then making each other cups of tea and standing blethering at the water cooler kind of thing. Factories take temperatures at the door but inside there's no masks and no social distancing. Construction sites are just as bad, if not worse. All the hygiene stations set up last summer are neglected with the alcohol gel dispensers empty and the workers pile into tiny portacabins at break times.