Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Surely they should have been preventing such a crowd from forming in the first place? 
Usual attitude from police Scotland here, completely unwilling to do anything against fans of two clubs but will be a overly harsh on all other fans just to pretend they are doing something about misbehaviour involving football.  
It’s an unacceptable stance. 
This.

It's more about not upsetting one half of the bigot brothers.

They would have done the same if it was Celtic.

Any other club did this they'd be on them like a ton of bricks.

20 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Scottish football shouldnt be punished in anyway, but what we need is strict liability, wouldnt apply today, but would have yesterday. Cancel the old firm game in a fortnight though, thats going to be an absolute mare. 

And the one after the split, award a point each.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There’s 90 police cells actively in use in Glasgow right now even if you arrest a ‘small group’ youre not going to make a dent in a crowd of thousands scattered through the city centre. The snp appointed lord advocate has also massively reduced the guidance to duty officers on which type of offences will actually be accepted in custody and these folks would likely just be released anyway. 
Look i get your anger, im raging myself, but theres not very much else they can do, if they go in and try and arrest a ‘small group’ then it spurs an even larger amount to cause disorder, thats how crowd dynamics work. 

I assume you’re a police officer?

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Everything i’ve ever posted on p&b is in public domain so you assume whatever you want. I am my own person and my posts are entirely my opinion. 

Chief Constable shouldn't you have other things in tonight? ;)

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Everything i’ve ever posted on p&b is in public domain so you assume whatever you want. I am my own person and my posts are entirely my opinion. 

No need to be defensive.  Things like knowing how many police cells are available in Glasgow would be something the vast majority of people wouldn’t know.

I wasn’t having a go at you.

As always, I’m sure the reality is somewhere in the middle. 

Could the Police have done more to prevent a mass gathering? Quite clearly yes. 
However, they were never going to be able to contain it completely. 

Cells obviously wouldn’t be an option, but being there early doors and issuing fines for anyone refusing to leave would be. As would condoning off areas and using barriers. 

Edited by No_Problemo

52 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why should we not expect the vaccine to absolute cigar covid into, at worst, the same category as seasonal flu come Autumn / Winter?

Every study to date has shown them to perform incredibly well. Dare I say even better than could have been hoped for.

Please excuse me whilst I file this "we just don't know!" nonsense in the bin where it belongs.

Maybe because of the Kent variant that caused the numbers to spiral out of control just a few months ago? All the numbers are looking better, but that's in part due to lockdown as well as vaccinations, plus the decreases in cases are starting to stall a little in some places.

You're right that the vaccines are doing probably even better than could have been hoped for, the fact they may have a significant impact on transmission could be the key. But mamy experts are still cautious, and I'd rather listen to them than those just wanting to throw caution to the wind. We need to make sure we do it right this time. I don't want to have to suffer any more lockdowns after this one, I want them to do whatever is possible to make this the last one. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

“Police have a hard enough job already”

You do have to question that many officers being used to move them *towards* the city centre. There are more than enough there to close that road, even if they had stopped folk getting into George Square and Ibrox without one central venue you have to imagine there would be a fair amount of dispersal.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

No one got hurt, no one got arrested. That's good policing. 

Anyone with half a brain can work out that the Covid risk is less than the average big supermarket on a weekend day. 

There’s more chance of spreading covid by opening the pubs then a few hundred people walking along the street.

4 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Maybe because of the Kent variant that caused the numbers to spiral out of control just a few months ago? All the numbers are looking better, but that's in part due to lockdown as well as vaccinations, plus the decreases in cases are starting to stall a little in some places.

You're right that the vaccines are doing probably even better than could have been hoped for, the fact they may have a significant impact on transmission could be the key. But mamy experts are still cautious, and I'd rather listen to them than those just wanting to throw caution to the wind. We need to make sure we do it right this time. I don't want to have to suffer any more lockdowns after this one, I want them to do whatever is possible to make this the last one. 

The cases are flying down.

Edited by No_Problemo

4 minutes ago, s_dog said:

All of this would be a good point if we didn't have a number of very effective vaccines. But we do.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

While the rangers celebrations are bad hopefully because its outside there won't be too many problems.

Remember the protests last year, no huge issues from it.

I'm for lockdown Ibrox edition for the next 50 years just to be sure.

It’s fucking wild. One of my mates is a Policeman and he’s away celebrating in amongst all that today. There’s no way that the SG can stand up on Monday and tell us all to stay at home or else, but let shite like that happen under their watch. 
The way you are talking you seem to think Sturgeon was sitting in a bunker watching it all unfold on CCTV while instructing her "troops on the ground" how to control that situation.
The police dealt with that situation today no differently to the way they have dealt with supporters of those two cheeks for decades, they can basically do what they want, it's mob rule plain and simple. Always has been, always will be. Clearly their mob trumps the law but that is no different today in lockdown to anytime in the past 40 years or so but to advocate that this means the rest of us can do what we want is basically setting out moral compass in line with the knuckle daggers. Two wrongs must definitely don't make a right.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

No need to be defensive.  Things like knowing how many police cells are available in Glasgow would be something the vast majority of people wouldn’t know.

I wasn’t having a go at you.

I used to be a PC yes. I work in the criminal justice system and obviously do weigh on the side of the Police mostly, I can absolutely absolutely hold my hands up and say when I think things are done wrongly, im probably a bigger critic of how things are done than anyone else on here. I can genuinely not think of a harder job right now than being the tactical commander of whats happening in George square, if you dive in and arrest 2/3 people you risk sparking a riot, it absolutely does happen, its all about how crowd dynamics work. If they try and head them off at one train station they will meet at another. 
Id like to see an enquiry after today. I also agree that it undermines enforcement of the rules afterwards, but im genuinely not able to see what else could have been done (i know loads of people will be like ‘arrest them all’ ‘baton charge’ or whatever but there is absolutely no existing grounds to baton people or otherwise in line with ECHR). 
The cells thing you can find out via a FOI request.