Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/03/covid-deaths-high-in-countries-with-more-overweight-people-says-report

Further proof that disgusting fatties are the real pandemic that needs tackling - starting with being welded into their homes Wuhan-style and living off carrot sticks pushed through the letterbox until they're no longer mistaken for beached whales. 

8 hours ago, HibsFan said:

I know we talk a lot about cigars and all that at this point and good for us, but on a serious note, it's still not really sinking in just how impressive and downright miraculous this vaccine creation and rollout has been so far, think it won't really hit me properly until a good few years down the line.

Every previous thing that we (the people on the street not the eggheads) typically thought possible regarding timeframes has been ripped up and completely rewritten.

God bless the nerds.

Bollocks, they've been taking the pish for years. Banking on the fact no-one really understood what they did. A bit of pressure and scrutiny soon got them moving. It's  the same principle as work IT departments.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/03/covid-deaths-high-in-countries-with-more-overweight-people-says-report

Further proof that disgusting fatties are the real pandemic that needs tackling - starting with being welded into their homes Wuhan-style and living off carrot sticks pushed through the letterbox until they're no longer mistaken for beached whales. 

They don't need to go to all that bother. More public information films should do the trick. 

46 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Bollocks, they've been taking the pish for years. Banking on the fact no-one really understood what they did. A bit of pressure and scrutiny soon got them moving. It's  the same principle as work IT departments.

I think this is my favourite post in the whole thread.

It's brilliant on many levels, but in particular,

A swipe at those that actually invented the vaccine. Think that might be a first.

Equating scientists to IT departments.

And also, I think somewhere along the line, I actually agree with you're point.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The only way to end the obesity epidemic is to ban food producers from filling their products with shite. 

No. The only way to end the obesity epidemic is to make people not want to over eat. It's a mental illness and should be treated as such. 

This would require a lot more effort than governments around the world seem willing to admit so sugar taxes and limits on advertising it is. 

7 hours ago, virginton said:

As has been covered about a million times a narrative such as the one you harp on about is not conducive to people losing weight and should it be ever become a main stream opinion would contribute to enormous mental health pressure on the NHS and if their mental health is fucked they are hardly likely to be successful in tackling their weight.

I would have expected some understanding from someone who didn't exactly take kindly to having your own looks put to public trial on here before you got them erased from the site. 

The anti obesity policies will be so bad in the aftermath of this. High fat foods no longer advertised on buses! More of those unbelievably patronising cartoon advertising campaigns about eating vegetables not chips!

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

As has been covered about a million times a narrative such as the one you harp on about is not conducive to people losing weight and should it be ever become a main stream opinion would contribute to enormous mental health pressure on the NHS and if their mental health is fucked they are hardly likely to be successful in tackling their weight.

I would have expected some understanding from someone who didn't exactly take kindly to having your own looks put to public trial on here before you got them erased from the site. 

^^^ Fatty.

No. The only way to end the obesity epidemic is to make people not want to over eat. It's a mental illness and should be treated as such. 
This would require a lot more effort than governments around the world seem willing to admit so sugar taxes and limits on advertising it is. 

It is a mental illness for some. However, not for everyone and too easy to hide behind for some people. As i have mentioned previously, there needs to be some ownership on some obese people to lose weight rather than just relying on the nhs

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

In the UK 80% of intensive care beds are taken up by overweight (32%) or obese (48%).

Nevermind a vaccination passport to open up, just a simple set of scales in the pub decides if you get in or not. 

It can happen to anyone remember!

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

McDonald's sponsoring a shit tonne of sporting events/sports teams over the years always makes me chuckle.

Indeed. Among others, they sponsor the SFA's 'Fun Fours' football - football specifically aimed at 5-8 year olds. Borderline predatory.