Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

If a vaccination passport gets rolled out and by then the majority of posters on here will be vaccinated, who would take and use one to get into a venue?

I would, but not out of any great conviction, or necessarily even a desire to visit the venue in question.

I'd primarily be motivated by the prospect of coming on here and telling you all about it.

34 minutes ago, AllSaint said:

Looking more and more likely that Scotland will be ‘opening up’ before England. Incredible scenes and makes the tin foil hat brigade look incredibly foolish with their tantrums at literally anything negative they read on whatever flat earth forums they spend their time on. 

tenor (11).gif

I don't think we are to be fair. We so far haven't seen the vaccine hesitancy they have in their younger cohorts but we are not at that stage. There will be no need for any domestic passport system if take up holds up.

Why we're following Israel on anything is beyond me. An abhorrent almost apartheid state, who treat certain members of their society as well as they treat dog shite on their shoes. 

5 hours ago, superbigal said:

Time for a quick complete February review as todays data was 7 day infection rate 22nd to 28th Feb.  Compare to Jan 25th to Jan 31st.

So Jan 31st we were at 132.9 cases per 100K.  Feb 28th we are at 76.5 cases per 100K  Reduction in last 4 weeks of 42.44%

Who have been the shakers and movers.    Well East Lothian & Stirling are the only areas with actual cases increases. Some of the falls in just 4 weeks are remarkable. Good to see so many of the Western areas now outstripping the national average.  Even Glasgow has quietly dropped at national rates.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Falkirk  174.0 to 161.0  Rise from 6th  to 1st with a 7.47% fall

Stirling 142.2 to 146.5  Rise from 13th to 2nd with a 3.02% rise

West Lothian  142.0 to 125.1  Rise from 14th to 3rd with a 11.90% fall

Clackmannanshire  153.3 to 122.2 Rise from 11th to 4th with a 20.29% fall

Renfrewshire  172.5 to 121.7  Rise from 8th to 5th with a 29.45% fall

West Dunbartonshire  175.4 to 120.3  Drop from 5th to 6th with a 31.41% fall

North Lanarkshire  216.5 to 118.1   Drop from top 1st to 7th with a 40.83% fall

Glasgow City  199.3 to 114.0   Drop from 2nd to 8th with a 42.8% fall

East Lothian 74.7 to 99.9 Rise from 26th to 9th with a  33.73% rise

Midlothian  114.6  to 95.2 Rise from 17th to 10th with a 16.93% fall

South Lanarkshire 189.1to 94.8  Drop from 3rd to 11th with a 49.87% fall

East Ayrshire  166.4 to 80.3   Drop from 10th to 12th with a 51.74% fall

East Renfrewshire  172.7 to 76.4  Drop from 7th to 13th with a 55.76% fall

East Dunbartonshire  169.4 to 70.9  Drop from 9th to 14th with a 58.15% fall

Dundee City  123.9 to 69.0 Rise from 16th to 15th with a 44.31% fall

City Of Edinburgh 70.7 to 63.6  Rise from 27th to 16th with a 10.04% fall

North Ayrshire  183.3 to 65.3  Drop from 4th to 17th with a 62.19% fall

Fife  82.7 to 57.6 Rise from 23rd to 18th with a 30.35% fall

Perth & Kinross   113.2 to 57.3 Drop from 18th to 19th with a 49.38% fall

Inverclyde  147.8 to 52.7  Drop from 12th to 20th with a 64.34% fall

South Ayrshire  129.7 to 47.1  Drop from 15th to 21st with a 63.69% fall

Angus 110.2 to 44.8  Drop from 19th to 22nd with a 59.35% fall  

Moray 89.8  to 37.6  Drop from 20th to 23rd with a 58.13% fall

Western Isles  74.9  to 33.7  Rise from 25th to 24th with a 55.01% fall

Dumfries & Galloway 131.0 to 29.6 Drop from 14th to 25th with a 77.40% fall

Highlands 66.1 to 28.0  Rise from 29th to 26th with a 57.64% fall

Aberdeen City  75.7 to 27.6  Drop from 24th to 27th with a 63.54% fall

Scottish  Borders  83.1 to 19.0 Drop from 22nd to 28th with a 77.14% fall

Argyll & Bute 85.0 to 18.6   Drop from 21st to 29th with a 78.12% fall

Aberdeenshire 68.9 to 18.4 Drop from 28th to 30th with a 74.75% fall

Orkney Island   18.0  to 0.0  Now Covid Free

Shetland Islands   4.4 to 0.0  Now Covid Free

Edited by superbigal

Reading an article in the guardian there that has a couple of bits of info I didn't know about:

Firstly, they claim it was New Zealand's billionaires who drove/backed their covid strategy. Secondly, apparently asymptomatic infections are now estimated down at ~20%.

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

They should just start dishing out free cigars with every vaccine tbh.

Once all restrictions are in the bin and I'm next on holiday I'm definitely developing a crippling addiction habit of enjoying a wee cigar or two.

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Reading an article in the guardian there that has a couple of bits of info I didn't know about:

Firstly, they claim it was New Zealand's billionaires who drove/backed their covid strategy. Secondly, apparently asymptomatic infections are now estimated down at ~20%.

New Zealand is the fall back plan for billionaires if there's a nuclear war or society breaks down in the USA and Europe. Closing the door behind them is an important part of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaires-are-prepping-for-the-apocalypse-in-new-zealand

Edited by Detournement

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

New Zealand is the fall back plan for billionaires if there's a nuclear war or society breaks down in the USA and Europe. Closing the door behind them is an important part of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaires-are-prepping-for-the-apocalypse-in-new-zealand

Takes me back to The Chrysalids 

16 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Is this the beginning of the climbdown from pushing the fear about people with no symptoms being highly dangerous?

40 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is this the beginning of the climbdown from pushing the fear about people with no symptoms being highly dangerous?

f**k knows mate. There was a link to two studies that looked pretty thorough. Maybe it's just more facts about the disease becoming available now we've had longer to study it 

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Looks like India will be sparking up shortly.

Are India not already producing/administering huge amounts of AZ?  Sure I’ve seen reports of them opening things up in the last couple of weeks.  They had supporters in the ground certainly for the last test match and I think the one before that as well.

I see the EU is now gracefully sending 100k vaccines extra each to Czechia and Slovakia, which I'm sure is in no way connected to the 2 million Russian vaccines that Slovakia's government ordered just last week. 

Not sure how many cigars the ordinary Russian chews on, but Putin has certainly benefited from the UK and EU trying to play a pandemic like the 1950s Cold War. The EU has practically no authority at the moment: some of the internal borders are arbitrarily closed, while most of the Med will open up for tourism in the summer regardless of Brussels' advice. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

I see the EU is now gracefully sending 100k vaccines extra each to Czechia and Slovakia, which I'm sure is in no way connected to the 2 million Russian vaccines that Slovakia's government ordered just last week. 

Not sure how many cigars the ordinary Russian chews on, but Putin has certainly benefited from the UK and EU trying to play a pandemic like the 1950s Cold War. The EU has practically no authority at the moment: some of the internal borders are arbitrarily closed, while most of the Med will open up for tourism in the summer regardless of Brussels' advice. 

I’m guessing the French and German stockpiles came in handy after all.

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yup. I am very much pro-EU, but without stating the obvious, going beyond the health implications the pandemic has really not been a good thing for the bloc. This has only been amplified by the vaccine rollout and members now breaking rank to file in supplies from Russia and China.

15 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I know we talk a lot about cigars and all that at this point and good for us, but on a serious note, it's still not really sinking in just how impressive and downright miraculous this vaccine creation and rollout has been so far, think it won't really hit me properly until a good few years down the line.

Every previous thing that we (the people on the street not the eggheads) typically thought possible regarding timeframes has been ripped up and completely rewritten.

God bless the nerds.

2021: None of us are ever going to say anything bad about these eggheads ever again. Scientists are the new rock stars.

2022:

Spoiler

image.png.9ed15c3f2740d32ff8a0ea5a37a74459.png

Edited by Gordon EF