Coronavirus (COVID-19)

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It won't be a decision by the SQA that dictates when new timetables kick off though.  I'm surprised that it's something even authorities meddle in to be honest.  It seems daft to start the new school year at the normal time, when the previous one has been so distorted.

Surely it's best to restore some normality asap? We are also planning to change timetable at the same time as usual. The older kids will have done their assessments by then (they'll need to, for us to meet the various deadlines) and the younger ones will benefit from a big reset.

I've heard from a friend who works in payroll for a large retailer that there will be changes to furlough from July onwards with employers having to contribute towards it rather than just paying NI and Pension costs like they are at the moment so looks like like it will be leaning towards employers having a minimum amount of employees on furlough.
10% initially rising to 20%.

2 minutes ago, David W said:

Surely it's best to restore some normality asap? We are also planning to change timetable at the same time as usual. The older kids will have done their assessments by then (they'll need to, for us to meet the various deadlines) and the younger ones will benefit from a big reset.

There's maybe an argument there regarding BGE kids, but again, given how much has been missed, extending this school year seems sensible.  

I'm genuinely astounded to learn that new timetables are anticipated in June for seniors.  It simply compresses things for now in a way that's not needed.

9 hours ago, 101 said:

Good news that furlough is still being kept on hopefully there is business support well into 2022 as we continue to rebuild post Brexit and Covid it's been a challenging time and even if we kept paying people their wages to retrain or companies to diversify its going to be far cheaper in the long run than having loads of folk on the dole, which itself needs bumped up. 

That's just not true though. Out of work benefit is an absolutely tiny fraction of government welfare spending in the UK today, while furlough is a much more expensive policy. The dole will not be increased to a credible minimum standard precisely because of furlough. It has created a nice little two-tier system of support that keeps just enough Tory voters protected from the natural comeuppance of their poor-baiting worldview. 

Furlough was an emergency scheme - that emergency no longer exists and it should therefore be wrapped up. 

17 hours ago, AllSaint said:

Will be accepting apologies in the form of fist bumps. 

Is there a cap to the amount paid out to those on furlough? - I thought it was £2,500 per month - however, I was listening to both LBC and Radio Scotland this morning and there were stories of people getting £60k and £40k in the last year - with the person earning £40k on furlough also earning a further £25k working in a distribution warehouse...thats not right is it?

6 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Is there a cap to the amount paid out to those on furlough? - I thought it was £2,500 per month - however, I was listening to both LBC and Radio Scotland this morning and there were stories of people getting £60k and £40k in the last year - with the person earning £40k on furlough also earning a further £25k working in a distribution warehouse...thats not right is it?

It's up to £2,500 per job. So in theory someone with multiple well paying jobs could receive more. Maybe employers chose to top up to 100%?

There is nothing to stop someone furloughed from one job working elsewhere at the same time either.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Quick question.

Young person tests positive for Covid in the middle of February. Isolates for 10 days.

At the end of February a parent of the young person tests positive.

Does the young person have to self-isolate again?

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The bold Devi wanting under 40’s banned from pubs when they open, until they’ve had their 2 doses of the vaccine.

I hate the way the world is now 😞

If that's The Times article, it's paywalled to f**k before we get into the crux of what she was saying. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on that one.

39 minutes ago, keithgy said:

That is my grandson having to self isolate as someone in his P1 class has tested positive 

At what point is farcical nonsense like that going to stop?

13 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The bold Devi wanting under 40’s banned from pubs when they open, until they’ve had their 2 doses of the vaccine.

I hate the way the world is now 😞

Where is she saying this?

I would be seething if I were somehow not allowed into the pubs when they open as they’re strictly for older people, while I’ve been sat with my life on hold to protect these folk for the past year. f**k off Devi. 

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nicola-sturgeon-advisor-wants-under-19953466

She's also claiming that the Brazil variant entered the UK by people exploiting a loophole in the red list system.  Hadn't read that before.

The quotes seem to suggest she means once the vaccine roll out is complete, which is still very questionable but not quite as bad as suggesting opening pubs etc but banning people who haven't yet been vaccinated on account of their age.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

At what point is farcical nonsense like that going to stop?

Where is she saying this?

She was discussing how vaccine passports are going to be inevitable and then she said youngsters need an “incentive” to get the vaccine. Later on she went on to say 

“You can really create an incentive to people to say if you want to go to a concert, if you want to be active in places where spreading occurs then you have to protect and make sure you’re not spreading it to others” 

Disgusts me in all honesty 

12 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I would be seething if I were somehow not allowed into the pubs when they open as they’re strictly for older people, while I’ve been sat with my life on hold to protect these folk for the past year. f**k off Devi. 

I said this a couple of weeks ago. We've shut down the entire country to protect old folk and I'll be fucking raging if we're kept under lock and key while they're able to swan around the world on SAGA cruises.

I don't really understand why these 'experts' still get airtime tbh. Their musings add little now.

We know the vaccine is cigarring the virus. Just update us how many people need to leave hospital, and how many jags need fired in to arms to get stuff open and in what order.

We, arguably, don't need 5 briefings a week.

Edited by Todd_is_God