Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Good news that furlough is still being kept on hopefully there is business support well into 2022 as we continue to rebuild post Brexit and Covid it's been a challenging time and even if we kept paying people their wages to retrain or companies to diversify its going to be far cheaper in the long run than having loads of folk on the dole, which itself needs bumped up. I'm glad the Tories have finally come round to tapping into the bottomless pit of money that's there hopefully we can prepare the NHS for future pandemics and tackle the back log of delays head on.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The decision was made before the October holidays for N5 - yet some courses did not get amended assessments until the second week in December - that just isn't good enough.

Some courses will not have done any of the SQA official assessments - and they won't have to early June they have to sit them - fitting in moderation needs time - our LA expects us to have our final estimates done by 11 June - you are really looking at end of May at the latest. It's tight.

You're probably right, but if we have to be wrapped up by late May, as well as tightening the timescale, it begs questions as to what you do afterwards.   New school years will get underway in August rather than June this time, meaning plenty of dead time if it can't be exploited to conclude courses.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Really? There's a link about two lines  down within that article .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/vatican-says-getting-covid-vaccine-morally-acceptable

Sorry I've just woke up and browsing myself back to sleep. Thanks, will read in the morning - found it surprising. 

Edited by madwullie

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The decision was made before the October holidays for N5 - yet some courses did not get amended assessments until the second week in December - that just isn't good enough.

We're still waiting to find out what's happening with the National Progression Awards we're running this year. There's been no amendments announced for any of the three courses running at level 4, 5 and 6 in our dept.

Edited by Rizzo

So the UK chancellor extends furlough beyond the date his own party have said restrictions will be a distant memory, and this is bad news because of sturgeon? Not at all surprising that he's not ditching it when they've said all social restrictions will go? Nah, sturgeon bad. Snp bad. [emoji2357] 
Has a single person said that, or anything g like it?

You're probably right, but if we have to be wrapped up by late May, as well as tightening the timescale, it begs questions as to what you do afterwards.   New school years will get underway in August rather than June this time, meaning plenty of dead time if it can't be exploited to conclude courses.
Some LAs are doing timetable change for next session at start of June - provisionally Dundee was looking at a 4 June date.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some LAs are doing timetable change for next session at start of June - provisionally Dundee was looking at a 4 June date.

Really?

That does tighten things in a way that strikes me, at this stage at least, as unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
7 hours ago, madwullie said:
So the UK chancellor extends furlough beyond the date his own party have said restrictions will be a distant memory, and this is bad news because of sturgeon? Not at all surprising that he's not ditching it when they've said all social restrictions will go? Nah, sturgeon bad. Snp bad. emoji2357.png 

Has a single person said that, or anything g like it?

9 hours ago, Scosha said:

Concerned. That’s a free pass for NS to keep us in tiers until then. Fuxake. 

🤷‍♂️

Edit: ah f**k it nvm

Edited by madwullie

8 hours ago, 101 said:

I can only assume you have been lucky enough not to have to attend or want to attend a funeral in the past year.

Ah sorry.  I thought you were the opposite of a wedding crasher.  My bad.   

33 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Really?
That does tighten things in a way that strikes me, at this stage at least, as unnecessary.

You forget that not only are we dealing with SQA but also clueless buffoons at LA level.

It won't be a decision by the SQA that dictates when new timetables kick off though.  I'm surprised that it's something even authorities meddle in to be honest.  It seems daft to start the new school year at the normal time, when the previous one has been so distorted.

8 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Find it absolutely mental when people get upset over extension to the furlough scheme.

It's of course a good thing, but there's also the fear that the SG will use the extension to keep us in lockdown longer.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's of course a good thing, but there's also the fear that the SG will use the extension to keep us in lockdown longer.

Yeah, its a double edged sword really. People not losing jobs = good. Industries being held closed just because furlough is there = not good.

I've heard from a friend who works in payroll for a large retailer that there will be changes to furlough from July onwards with employers having to contribute towards it rather than just paying NI and Pension costs like they are at the moment so looks like like it will be leaning towards employers having a minimum amount of employees on furlough.

Edited by Bert Raccoon