Coronavirus (COVID-19)

There is a clear difference between being floored with something (to the point you can't work), and having a mild cough.
"Sorry boss, i've coughed a few times this morning. I've booked a covid test and i'll see you in 10 days / after the result comes back if it's negative" is absolutely not going to be the norm for the forseeable.
Hourly paid emoyees especially are not going to risk putting their rent in jeopardy because they have a bit of a sore head and a cough either.
Covid testing will become like flu testing. It'll get done for moderate / severe cases only.
In that scenario the R number would be back to it's natural albeit vaccinated level (wasnt it 4 without 3 with) and cases will be through the roof. I accept there are people who don't get sick pay. That is shit but unfortunately a fact of life and that's a factor.

What's that you say, no excess deaths by Easter but still under house arrest for at least another month after that, when we have a vaccine which will obliterate deaths and hospitalisations?

This banana republic-esque Government and its diddy advisers need fired straight into the Sun.

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

So all the talk of "at least this will stop folk going to work with a virus" is getting thrown in the bin already.

Of course you need to keep testing capabilities as people simply cannot go to their work with Covid even with vaccination and no one is expecting that to be the case. People will need a positive test result for sickness purposes.

Are you proposing we waste tens of thousands each day testing people? About 99% of them will have mild symptoms and maybe need to lie in bed for  2 days. Do you suggest we do this forever? 

45 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Not being negative but is it not more likely that the younger people are at work? whilst most of the over 75's will only be leaving the house to go to the shops once a week?

or have they been attending prohibition style speakeasys to play dominos and smoke cigars ?

Because its trends, I think that would already be covered. I'm no statistician tho so 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
There is a clear difference between being floored with something (to the point you can't work), and having a mild cough.
"Sorry boss, i've coughed a few times this morning. I've booked a covid test and i'll see you in 10 days / after the result comes back if it's negative" is absolutely not going to be the norm for the forseeable.
Hourly paid emoyees especially are not going to risk putting their rent in jeopardy because they have a bit of a sore head and a cough either.
Covid testing will become like flu testing. It'll get done for moderate / severe cases only.

In that scenario the R number would be back to it's natural albeit vaccinated level (wasnt it 4 without 3 with) and cases will be through the roof. I accept there are people who don't get sick pay. That is shit but unfortunately a fact of life and that's a factor.

Well no they won't, as whilst it will still circulate at low level among the population, high vaccination rates mean it will have trouble infecting people, and even when it does manage to get someone, they are unlikely to have more than mild illness.

You appear to be either ignoring that, or you recognise it but still think anyone who has a mild example of any one of the laughably long list of covid symotoms will stay off work until getting a test, and will then be staying off work for 10 days if it's positive.

That might happen this winter, if they keep some sort of support in place, but beyond that it's absolutely not going to happen. And nor would it be justified.

Britain’s Covid-19 vaccines may stop people passing on the virus “almost completely”, the head of immunisation at Public Health England has revealed.

Dr Mary Ramsay said grounds for hope that vaccination may achieve the holy grail of halting community transmission were emerging from new studies.

“What we don’t yet know is how long that might last and whether or not that will be enough to stop the infection spreading more widely in the population over time,” she told Radio 4’s Today on Tuesday

Either way, just get the pubs and borders open.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

What's that you say, no excess deaths by Easter but still under house arrest for at least another month after that, when we have a vaccine which will obliterate deaths and hospitalisations?

This banana republic-esque Government and its diddy advisers need fired straight into the Sun.

As we already know, that will depend on how many covid deaths contribute to the zero excess deaths figure. 

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

As we already know, that will depend on how many covid deaths contribute to the zero excess deaths figure. 

Why? This is "wE jUsT dOn'T kNoW" level scrambling.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Britain’s Covid-19 vaccines may stop people passing on the virus “almost completely”, the head of immunisation at Public Health England has revealed.
Dr Mary Ramsay said grounds for hope that vaccination may achieve the holy grail of halting community transmission were emerging from new studies.
“What we don’t yet know is how long that might last and whether or not that will be enough to stop the infection spreading more widely in the population over time,” she told Radio 4’s Today on Tuesday
Either way, just get the pubs and borders open.
giphy.gif&key=478efc9cdf87489308b350fff7c5daab55445a30cbe863d02815d55d02e46bc4
Thats fantastic news as "we just dont know how it impacts transmission" is the rug upon all of the Lovejoys have placed their soapbox to carp on about continuing restrictions to KEEP US ALL SAFE!!!@@@@

Delighted to see the vacscenes pulling it out from under them.

Meanwhile, the other parts of our immune system, following either vaccination or natural infection, will continue to keep people out of the hospital and crematorium if it encounters any current or future variant. Though sadly, if this still results in cold-like symptoms, that may still be unaceptable to your weirdo Helen Lovejoy types advising and cheerleading the Scottish Government.

In addition to this recently peer-reviewed study:

14 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Jeeso you manage to find negatives everywhere.  No one is in house arrest at present and the Gov have made it clear that restrictions could be eased ahead of what they announced last week - why don't you wait and see what is announced over the next couple of weeks rather than concern yourself with this pretendy house arrest you are getting all worked up about

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Jeeso you manage to find negatives everywhere.  No one is in house arrest at present and the Gov have made it clear that restrictions could be eased ahead of what they announced last week - why don't you wait and see what is announced over the next couple of weeks rather than concern yourself with this pretendy house arrest you are getting all worked up about

A "stay at home order" (which isn't due to be lifted for over a month) is not far short of house arrest.

19 minutes ago, Elixir said:

As you can meet outdoors from 15th March and the stay at home restriction is currently set to end on April 5 how are you still under house arrest for at least another month after Easter? 

14 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Which by May is going to be utterly insignificant.

I'm not reading too much into these reports about the levels being tighter - over the course of this pandemic I've come to realise that the standard of reporting from the BBC isn't much (if any) better than some of the tabloid rags.

Nonetheless, if it does turn out to be true then I reserve the right to go fully "heads gone" once it's officially announced.

13 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

BBC 1 o’clock news running with the tighter tier measures story as well. f**k this if true, that’s me accepting I’m not getting into NDP until 2022

There's an upside to everything.

Edited by Left Back