Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

They promised all this but did nothing to actually achieve it. To do so they would need to have an actual lockdown with closed borders and aggressive track and trace followed by mass testing. After that pretty much live this way until nearly everyone was vaccinated and release slowly while maintaining testing at the borders. What they actually did was pretty much nothing despite being locked down for months making the lockdown pretty much ineffective and a blunt tool that scunnered everyone into not obeying future rules.

No effective opposition and poor journalism meant that they weren’t even questioned really even the health minister is still in a job despite the chaos in care homes. They should have went hard at the start and instead just blamed Westminster for all their failings. I’m not sure how we would have got on without the furlough scheme or access to the vaccine so quickly but let’s not throw stones at that. Entire response is a joke but somehow most think that sturgeon has done a great job. Compared to someone who shook hands with covid patients, well I suppose so. In terms of a global comparison, nope. Total failure.

I can’t believe that anyone is still trying to engage with you considering your petulant sarcastic responses to legitimate questions that you can’t answer. The above, and subsequent comments when questioned on it, shows you as either a dribbling simpleton or a troll.

I’m going with the former.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Yea, that’s not what the article says. 

The article says that Deeks identified significant issues with the accuracy of the tests with the 60% figure coming from a study in Liverpool. Im quite happy with my skepticism of the reliability of LF testing.  
Even if you take the Schools Minister saying 1/3 of tests have false negative results https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-reliable-are-the-uks-coronavirus-lateral-flow-tests

then its quite a significant issue. The sage report from late 2020 also puts the 48% accuracy into play. The highest successful accurate test ratings of 70% occurred in testing at Porton Down, essentially conducted by expert lab technicians and scientists, real world tests conducted and handled by trained members of the public appear to have an accuracy of 58% according to another study. 

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The article says that Deeks identified significant issues with the accuracy of the tests with the 60% figure coming from a study in Liverpool. Im quite happy with my skepticism of the reliability of LF testing.  
Even if you take the Schools Minister saying 1/3 of tests have false negative results https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-reliable-are-the-uks-coronavirus-lateral-flow-tests

then its quite a significant issue. The sage report from late 2020 also puts the 48% accuracy into play. The highest successful accurate test ratings of 70% occurred in testing at Porton Down, essentially conducted by expert lab technicians and scientists, real world tests conducted and handled by trained members of the public appear to have an accuracy of 58% according to another study. 

It doesn’t say you would be as well flipping a coin.  Cos that would mean you would have 50% of who you tested as positive which is clearly wrong.

There is certainly issues, which obviously need looked into,  but don’t misrepresent the stats.   

It’s better looking at lateral flow as ‘detects a decent amount of positives that may well have been missed’  rather than ‘your definitely negative, go do whatever you want’

Level thresholds to be tougher...

I

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56237471

it’s back to a rather gloomy outlook for life north of the border, hopefully the vaccine continues to work.

If they are also going to be tougher on thresholds then they need to bloody well stick to the thresholds this time, not bin it a couple of weeks in.

Edited by super_carson

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It doesn’t say you would be as well flipping a coin.  Cos that would mean you would have 50% of who you tested as positive which is clearly wrong.

There is certainly issues, which obviously need looked into,  but don’t misrepresent the stats.   

It’s better looking at lateral flow as ‘detects a decent amount of positives that may well have been missed’  rather than ‘your definitely negative, go do whatever you want’

I didnt say the article said youd be as well flipping a coin, I said that, if the accuracy in terms of false negatives is as low as those studies suggest then its a reasonable analogy. I dont have enough faith in the concept of testing to go for it, the vaccines are shown to reduce transmission, they are our way out. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The goalposts quite literally being shifted in the middle of a match now to appease these absolute fucking losers. 

Yep. That’s any hope of normality in Scotland by the summer out the window I fear. Despite a highly effective vaccine programme, we are going to be in a worse position than last year.  And the worst part? Absolute hand wringing Helen Lovejoy types will lap it up. 

Edited by super_carson

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The goalposts quite literally being shifted in the middle of a match now to appease these absolute fucking losers. 

This is a shocker.  Basing it on WHO guidance from before vaccines were approved.

“Content of restrictions” really means they reserve the right to ignore data and arbitrarily punt areas into levels for amusement as they did before.

6 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I

it’s back to a rather gloomy outlook for life north of the border, hopefully the vaccine continues to work.

If they are also going to be tougher on thresholds then they need to bloody well stick to the thresholds this time, not bin it a couple of weeks in.

Not entirely surprised, I hoped NS would be more reasonable with the levels but she seems to be pandering to the Lovejoy brigade. Seems like they actively want a pumping in the election.  

6 minutes ago, super_carson said:

it’s back to a rather gloomy outlook for life north of the border.

Well that’s Glasgow fucked until the summer then (when restrictions are canned once and for all). Scottish Govt seem hell bent on finishing off the hospitality industry. 

I

That just says they are aligning with the WHO levels not what can happen at each level.

That is the real decision we are waiting on.

On 23/02/2021 at 19:47, Elixir said:

So Sturgeon plans on bouncing everyone into 'level three' 10 (ten) weeks from now, despite the fact that currently:

- only 7 council areas 'require' the level three threshold

- 8 council areas meet the level two threshold

- 15 council areas meet the level one threshold

- 2 council areas (Orkney and Shetland) meet the level zero threshold

And between now and then infection rates are only naturally going to go one way as winter ends and spring progresses - down.

What a load of utter shit. How are they going to continue justifying this for at least the next two months? Surely not the standard and now dubious 'new, highly infectious variant' mewling.

The government said the more stringent approach was needed because of the new faster-spreading variant of the virus.

bQshDtu.png

6 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Not sure why that's coming as a surprise or indeed a news story on the BBC considering it was in the document released last week.

This is true.

Using cases as the primary metric is something which needs seriously challenged, though, particularly as the levels aren't due to come into play until after the completion of vaccine roll out for the entire JCVI top 9 groups.

The problem is no one seems to be interested in doing so.

The article also assumes the levels themselves will remain unchanged, which I don't think will be the case.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That just says they are aligning with the WHO levels not what can happen at each level.

That is the real decision we are waiting on.

I know the levels will be adjusted, but given how much the SG are obsessed with elimination/eradication/whatever phrase of the month is I don’t think it’ll be drastically different.  

That said, given the kicking she took last week I’ll be interested to see what is put forward and the public reaction to it.

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Not sure why that's coming as a surprise or indeed a news story on the BBC considering it was in the document released last week.

The SG's fluffers were actually using the claim in the document to suggest that the tiers would have fewer restrictions than before, to try and wave away the SG's crock of shite, roadmap to nowhere. 

Who could have predicted that the opposite would prove the case?!