Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

This f****** thread.

And then you get posts like this. 👍

Yep, it's good to see real good news rather than anecdotal shite from all ends of the argument. I'm chuffed to fúck that my sister (who spent most of last year isolated in the Beatson) is improving massively after having two jags, and we're already making tentative plans for when the WRK clan are allowed back into Scotland to have a massive family gathering, as this bollox has given us all a painful reminder that, by the time you get round to visiting other members of the family, they might not be around anymore.

I know it seems to the younger posters on here as if some of us were born in black and white, but as time passes, it gets more precious. Appreciate your folks while you still can. (not that I have to tell you that, JG)

3 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

The headings are misleading and worded in a way to substantially lower the number of cases which are 'actual deaths from covid'. It's inaccurate.

I don't think you're gonna acknowledge that though so all the best. 

No, they are labelled as such to make the point the OP wanted to make (which was that Covid isn't really a thing).

However the data is quite clearly the number of people who died after catching covid who did, and did not, have a pre-existing condition.

The ratio of tho who died despite having no pre-existing health conditions is in line with the figures published by NHS England, so there is no reason to assume they are inaccurate.

Anyone who has paid any attention to the vaccine performance data, knows what is included in JCVI Groups 1-9, looks at the data below, and still disagrees that vaccinating groups 1-9 will prevent a massive percentage of deaths in future is at it IMO.

Screenshot_20210225-235602_Excel.jpg

20210225_213516.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-172205_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Blue envelopes have arrived for wife and I - a big cloud suddenly lifted at that time and there is now an air of more optimism.  Strange how little it takes.

Wait till you walk out after having the first jag - birthday caird pish, maybe, but the sun seems brighter, the air smells sweeter..

It really doesn't take a lot to lift the spirits, and it feels like we're seeing a brighter light at the end of a shorter tunnel. Optimism maybe misplaced or set to be dashed by negative news, but damn, it feels good for now - and that'll do me.

6 minutes ago, David W said:

No surprise, but the JCVI are recommending age-based vaccination for the next phase. 40-49, 30-39 and 18 -29.

Seems sensible.  Anything that slows down getting jags in arms should be avoided and prioritising certain occupations would likely do that for very little to no real health benefit if 99% of the most vulnerable have already been prioritised.

31 minutes ago, Elixir said:

In England, festivals have hope and can plan ahead.

In Scotland..?

Oh, aye, Leeds/Reading going ahead. Or at least having all that lovely ticket money resting in their account until they make a real decision. I've got about four hundred pounds worth of tickets  that have been either rescheduled (twice in some cases - Hiya King King!) or just sitting there with no communication as to when the gig will take place (Yes, Thorogood, I'm looking at you!).

The problem is that most of the gigs I've got tickets for are sold out - sold out to Pre-Covid levels, that is. Are we to believe that we will be allowed into small theatres in the same numbers as before? Not just seating, you're looking at some seriously narrow corridors and cramped bar facilities in some of these venues.

Another issue, with specific reference to George Thorogood and Elton John - these guys might well peg it before we're allowed back to live venues! I'm still boiling at missing Tom Petty at Hyde Park in 2017 because we needed new flooring.

16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yep, it's good to see real good news rather than anecdotal shite from all ends of the argument. I'm chuffed to fúck that my sister (who spent most of last year isolated in the Beatson) is improving massively after having two jags, and we're already making tentative plans for when the WRK clan are allowed back into Scotland to have a massive family gathering, as this bollox has given us all a painful reminder that, by the time you get round to visiting other members of the family, they might not be around anymore.

I know it seems to the younger posters on here as if some of us were born in black and white, but as time passes, it gets more precious. Appreciate your folks while you still can. (not that I have to tell you that, JG)

Aye, my parents and all my aunts and uncles (as well as 3 of my cousins) are dead, but my outlaws and stepchildren and nieces and nephews and grandchildren (and great grandchild) are still living and when we're all jagged there will be some visiting and meals out and a baptism will have to be organised, too.

I can still vividly recall attending the funeral of a young girl killed in a farming accident. When I got home from that I gave the wee ones in our house a big hug. You never know the day or the hour.

24 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The problem is that most of the gigs I've got tickets for are sold out - sold out to Pre-Covid levels, that is. Are we to believe that we will be allowed into small theatres in the same numbers as before? Not just seating, you're looking at some seriously narrow corridors and cramped bar facilities in some of these venues.

Err, why not and why would this matter when all social distancing restrictions are expected to be lifted on 21 June?

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Thank you it is very much appreciated same goes for everyone who showed their support. I had to step away from the laptop for a while yesterday because it became a bit emotional. The possibility of losing my mother just two months after losing my Dad was just too horrible to think about, I tried not to dwell on it and just got on with things. Even posting that helped and was a weight of my shoulders and sharing it on here I wanted to give out some good news and some proof that the vaccine is working even better than expected, this is really happening, we are coming out the other side of this.

I'm very glad I cheered everyone up with that post, everyone deserved a lift after so much negativity over the last few weeks.

Great to hear that your Mum is on the mend and you're in a better place :) 

2 hours ago, Elric said:

Blue envelopes have arrived for wife and I - a big cloud suddenly lifted at that time and there is now an air of more optimism.  Strange how little it takes.

That's the way I felt after we all got our first jags.

Nothing has changed in reality as we are still in lockdown and don't go anywhere (yet) but we are on the right path but I was certainly a lot more content when we got ours.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

924 people in hospital (-43), 80 patients in ICU (-9) and 27 deaths.

That seems like a low death total for a weekday too? Haven't had a look back through previous Fridays though.

Just looking through the data on Travelling Tabby, and I make that the lowest Friday death toll since October 23 when it was 18. That was 18 weeks ago (I think).

Since then: Feb 19 (31), Feb 12 (67), Feb 5 (61), Jan 29 (70), Jan 22 (71), Jan 15 (61), Jan 8 (93), Jan 1 (43), Dec 25 (43), Dec 18 (36), Dec 11 (31), Dec 4 (41), Nov 27 (37), Nov 20 (32), Nov 13 (56), Nov 6 (31), Oct 30 (28), Oct 23 (18).

14 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The arse has fallen out the test positivity this week, are we doing expanded testing at all?

We're now testing all close contacts, are we not?

That we are doing that and seeing test positivity dropping says a lot about how much of the "more transmissible variant!!1!" chat was baseless hysteria.