Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Whats the forecast for delivery of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine? Given its a single dose we could absolutely fly through that and bump the numbers up. 

Like the other vaccines a starting amount should be here already, I am not getting the sense of govt urgency in getting this approved like the other ones. Perhaps they would rather go with the Az double dose as it' s slightly higher efficacy 

Edited by AyrExile

Just now, AyrExile said:

Like the other vaccines a starting amount should be here already, I am not getting the sense of govt urgency in getting this approved likes the other ones. Perhaps they would rather go with the Az double dose as it' s slightly higher efficacy 

The J&J one would be the ideal candidate for getting papped into the 18-35 population. Get it done in work places, late opening clinics etc. Id have hoped we would have had massive stocks of all the vaccines prepared for us to wheech out upon approval. 

It's got everything to do with the UK & Scottish Government, though.
Did they expect foreign governments to ignore their BS "mOaR iNfEcTiOuS & mAyBe mOaR dEaDlY KeNt VaRiAnt" cries?
The "mutation zone" label will hang around longer than case numbers are a concern, and that is entirely down to the actions of the UK Gov.
I didn't realise the UK was the only country concerned by or actively testing for mutant strains.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The J&J one would be the ideal candidate for getting papped into the 18-35 population. Get it done in work places, late opening clinics etc. Id have hoped we would have had massive stocks of all the vaccines prepared for us to wheech out upon approval. 

Think our early approval helped out with Pfizer supply plus Az link is giving us a big advantage there. As for the other vaccines supplies might be harder to guarantee as other countries perhaps more heavily bought in. Irrespective the Uk is in a great place as a country and we will be finished whilst others are still ploughing through

Just over half of the samples submitted for sequencing come from the UK. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-to-share-genomics-know-how-to-help-other-countries-identify-new-variants-12198958

It would therefore be safe to say that there is a very real gap in some other countries and that they have little to no idea of how the virus mutating.

Pretty sure we send around 10% of our positive cases to be sequenced. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
55 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Did they expect foreign governments to ignore their BS "mOaR iNfEcTiOuS & mAyBe mOaR dEaDlY KeNt VaRiAnt" cries?
The "mutation zone" label will hang around longer than case numbers are a concern, and that is entirely down to the actions of the UK Gov.

I didn't realise the UK was the only country concerned by or actively testing for mutant strains.

Its the only one acting hysterically about it and refusing to open up incase an as yet undiscovered and possibly non existing variant emerges. The UK was the country which caused the variant hysteria in what i’d argue was an ill advised way to deflect from a realisation that its policy for xmas was an absolute shit storm but didnt want to be forced into an embarrassing climb down. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
55 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There's a difference between looking out for variants of concern, and actively declaring a particular variant 70% more infectious and possibly more deadly with nothing to back either claim up.

Just over half of the samples submitted for sequencing come from the UK. 
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-to-share-genomics-know-how-to-help-other-countries-identify-new-variants-12198958
It would therefore be safe to say that there is a very real gap in some other countries and that they have little to no idea of how the virus mutating.
Pretty sure we send around 10% of our positive cases to be sequenced. 

I believe they’re ramping up genome sequencing capacity such that on current case number trends, they’ll be able to sequence every case by the end of March.

Like the other vaccines a starting amount should be here already, I am not getting the sense of govt urgency in getting this approved like the other ones. Perhaps they would rather go with the Az double dose as it' s slightly higher efficacy 

The government is completely independent of the regulator.

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I believe they’re ramping up genome sequencing capacity such that on current case number trends, they’ll be able to sequence every case by the end of March.

F**k sake, in that case we really will be finding out about possible Govan and Castlemilk variants.

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Should be much easier to do so when we're not seeing 40k a day!  No reason we shouldn't be able to sequence them all when we're into the lower 000s. 

Should be much easier to do so when we're not seeing 40k a day!  No reason we shouldn't be able to sequence them all when we're into the lower 000s. 

Exactly! We are increasing the capacity at the same time as case numbers are falling to the point that eventually the capacity will outweigh demand and every case can be sequenced.

Fomite transmission isn't a thing. Why was the slide closed?
Because fomite transmission not being a thing has had absolutely no coverage whatsoever. Again, perhaps it's to try and retain good practices, but it shouldn't be driving policy, and to some extent, it must be.