Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There will be insurance available. Insurance companies love people being scared enough of something unlikely happening that they pay money to buy peace of mind. It's literally how they make money.

50,000 x £20 insurance policies = £1m

500 payouts of £20 = £100k

£900k profit from one event.

That's not how insurance works mate.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Seriously, it's a wee bit embarrassing the way you're going on just now.

You haven't a clue how this plays out in reality.  Your comment about the presence of peers in a school environment, making constructive work less likely than can be managed under current remote learning arrangements, betrays a towering ignorance.

Dispense with the silly, prejudice ridden name calling and recognise that some people know a great deal more about some things than you do.

When and where did I say that it was 'less likely' that constructive work could be completed in a school setting?

Be extremely specific.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There will be insurance available. Insurance companies love people being scared enough of something unlikely happening that they pay money to buy peace of mind. It's literally how they make money.

50,000 x £20 insurance policies = £1m

500 payouts of £20 = £100k

£900k profit from one event.

I hardly think it's that simple, they've lost out in plenty of sectors at different times. 

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

When do we reckon are they likely to make a call on fans travelling to London for the Euros for example? There will be thousands who have booked to go. I've hotel and flights booked, and can cancel the hotel a month in advance for a full refund. I've been tempted to just cancel now as I just can't see it happening, but there's a tiny part of me hanging on here just in case :lol: 

I don’t really see any reason why travel throughout Britain shouldn’t be allowed in June tbh. 

However, I can see the SG advising against it - they will be getting completely ignored in that case. 

I know I'm being ludicrously pedantic here but of these things are already being done on a massive scale, it's not the thin edge of the wedge. To me it sounded like the argument was vaccine passports would be a doorway to some sort of 24/7 monitoring of individuals. I don't see what a vaccine passport of your phone would achieve that just having candy crush on your phone wouldn't.

Ah ken it’s a bit like locking the stable door after the has bolted ken.

I’m sure there’s a really good article being written somewhere about all the possible ramifications of a vaccine passport and how it will add on to the already mental ways we’re being surveilled by the government and private entities but off the top of my head I just don’t feel comfortable about this extending the border to hospitality venues and the likes. It was uncomfortable enough having university lecturers openly saying “yeah my job in some capacity is to do border control” without possibly extending that to bar staff.

I might be wrong and it might be possible for people with shaky immigrant status to get a vaccine passport but I’m fairly confident Priti Patel and the Hostile Environment party will be looking for any way to further extend the reach of the Home Office.

9 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I know I'm being ludicrously pedantic here but of these things are already being done on a massive scale, it's not the thin edge of the wedge. To me it sounded like the argument was vaccine passports would be a doorway to some sort of 24/7 monitoring of individuals. I don't see what a vaccine passport of your phone would achieve that just having candy crush on your phone wouldn't.

It’s not so much the having it on the phone and using it that bothers me. The point is what questions they ask to get the passport issued and what they then do with the data once pieced together. 

It may be that lots of agencies have bits of our data however they won’t all be sharing it between each other. Problems lie I. putting it all together to build a picture of the individual. Things like the passport can be the reason they say they need to gather or access data that they weren’t allowed to before.

4 minutes ago, Scosha said:

When do we reckon are they likely to make a call on fans travelling to London for the Euros for example? There will be thousands who have booked to go. I've hotel and flights booked, and can cancel the hotel a month in advance for a full refund. I've been tempted to just cancel now as I just can't see it happening, but there's a tiny part of me hanging on here just in case :lol: 

If it's legal to go and the pubs are open I'm going. I haven't booked my train down and tbh won't even be sure if the trains will cope as I imagine they will have a reduced capacity so might hire a van or something.

We can only get 50% of our accommodation back up to 24 hours before arrival, I will try and get the rest back from the insurers 

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

How would insurance work in this specific instance, then?

Genuine question.

At a very simplistic level, you are right in that the premiums of the many pay for the claims of the few.

A claims ratio of 10% would have the insurers in trouble with the regulators very quickly though. 

The risk you are proposing is so niche that none of the big players would likely be interested in it, anyway.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

When and where did I say that it was 'less likely' that constructive work could be completed in a school setting?

Be extremely specific.

It's very clearly implied when you say that the presence of peers enhances the scope for distraction.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

How would insurance work in this specific instance, then?

Genuine question.

Well I thought it was kinda obvious but for a start you don't pay 100% of your purchase price in insurance. When you buy a car for £20,000 you don't pay a further £20,000 in insurance, so your 50,000 x £20 to get £1m of income is nonsense. More likely it would cost you a pound or two to insure a £20 purchase so 50 -100k in income.

Also 500 x 20 is 10,000.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

If it's legal to go and the pubs are open I'm going. I haven't booked my train down and tbh won't even be sure if the trains will cope as I imagine they will have a reduced capacity so might hire a van or something.

We can only get 50% of our accommodation back up to 24 hours before arrival, I will try and get the rest back from the insurers 

There's no chance of you getting any money back from your insurer for accommodation booked while restrictions were in place.

Last few pages are absolutely grim reading.

The prospect of no loud, packed football crowds, no packed music venues, no packed bars with singing, seeing loads of folk youve no seen in ages and getting a blether is just total shite, all that’ll happen is everyone’s social lives will move to house parties whether illegal or not and it’s a grim reality that it would appear that some people advising the government actually want and the government don’t seem to be resisting.

It would nice just to hear from the government that the end goal would be to have your Hamdens’, your Barrowlands’ etc rocking and bouncing by the end of this, some people are clearly happy morphing into their sofas watching strictly come dancing and going to Peebles for their annual holiday but I certainly am not.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Well I thought it was kinda obvious but for a start you don't pay 100% of your purchase price in insurance. When you buy a car for £20,000 you don't pay a further £20,000 in insurance, so your 50,000 x £20 to get £1m of income is nonsense. More likely it would cost you a pound or two to insure a £20 purchase so 50 -100k in income.

Also 500 x 20 is 10,000.

I suspect he missed an 0 from the pay-out calculation, given the discussed ticket price was £200.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It’s not so much the having it on the phone and using it that bothers me. The point is what questions they ask to get the passport issued and what they then do with the data once pieced together. 

It may be that lots of agencies have bits of our data however they won’t all be sharing it between each other. Problems lie I. putting it all together to build a picture of the individual. Things like the passport can be the reason they say they need to gather or access data that they weren’t allowed to before.

The smart phones argument isnt really valid in terms of the case against vaccine passports anyway, since even for like for like data, smartphone ownership and app permissions are at the discretion of yourself

This is a completely different scenario to government mandated health passports, and you can even leave aside fears of nefarious activity and just say that this is an overreach of government. 

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Also 500 x 20 is 10,000.

I thought it was pretty clear that £20 was the premium, and that £200 was the ticket price.

i.e. 50,000 insurance premiums at £20

vs

500 claims of £200

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I suspect he missed an 0 from the pay-out calculation, given the discussed ticket price was £200.

Even worse if he did, that would mean the company at best breaking even at worst making a loss of £50k

14 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I don't see what a vaccine passport of your phone would achieve that just having candy crush on your phone wouldn't.

When the digital infrastructure is in place to exclude certain people from public places you can guarantee that it's not going to stop at people who are not Covid vaccinated. 

There will also have to be some sort of Biometric element as it won't be as easy to subvert as borrowing someone else's phone. It's clearly the first step towards a Social Credit system like the one in China which will be a nightmare under a Neoliberal government and the fact that the two people driving this in the UK are Tony Blair and Jeremy Hunt should tell you all need to know. 

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

There's no chance of you getting any money back from your insurer for accommodation booked while restrictions were in place.

When I booked it it was legal to travel.