ICTChris

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I just have visions of union flegs everywhere, people walking about in uniforms, saluting the queen before dinner and the odd re-enactment. Everyone trying to out story the next one with their tales of what they did in Nam and them all being so walter mitty that even though they all know each other is lying they just go along with it anyway??

That's is it! Coppers can get in too.

As well as the down on their luck old Majors with shiny elbows on their blazers. There is the odd younger vet all bulging eyes, veins and PTSD just ready to go over the edge.

It was cheap!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Just now, craigkillie said:

Just before we went back into Tier 4, our local hairdresser had a sign up saying something like "Please do not enter if you feel unwell or have a runny nose". It's November in Scotland, pal, nearly everyone has a runny nose.

This. How many people are losing money due to having to self isolate because of having a wee cough that they probably get every fucking winter anyway??

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As well as the down on their luck old Majors with shiny elbows on their blazers. There is the odd younger vet all bulging eyes, veins and PTSD just ready to go over the edge.

It was cheap!

Sounds awesome.   Be good to spend a night in the bar, sitting in the corner, just observing.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

I don't think Israel have come out of lockdown, but they're talking opening borders around April/May.

I agree that lifting too early could cause some issues, but I can't see that happening.  8th March seems to be the date where we'll get some easing and by then, all vulnerable groups will have had their first jag.  I predict by end of April/early May every adult will have had a jag (who wants one), so at that point there should be no reason not to get back to at least where we were last summer.

Yip apoligies they are extending there lockdown because too many cases in icu and they are getting younger patients

I just dont want to be in a position were we are all vaccinated but back stuck in the house because they opened up to early.Id rather take an extra few weeks and then its done and dusted and we can go for a pint and go to the fitba etc 

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yip apoligies they are extending there lockdown because too many cases in icu and they are getting younger patients

I just dont want to be in a position were we are all vaccinated but back stuck in the house because they opened up to early.Id rather take an extra few weeks and then its done and dusted and we can go for a pint and go to the fitba etc 

Yip, totally agree although in theory at least that threat recedes every single day as we vaccinate another 600k.

Israel's issue is that Covid has been rampant since the turn of the year (fourth wave) and they started vaccinating in the midst of that. It doesn't appear that their more "devout" members of their community have been giving much of a f*ck about self-isolation throughout, which is probably a big part of the problem.

Edited by Burnieman

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I'm fully expecting Bozo to publish a route map out of effectively all restrictions in a couple of weeks, while what I'm anticipating from Sturgeon is a long, drawn out return to sanitised pish.

"Cautious Approach ©"

Some good news coming out of Israel in regards to the Pfizer vaccine

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/pfizer-vaccine-single-dose-90-per-cent-effective-after-21-days/

Also a suggestion that the recent spike in infections may have been caused by people binning the restrictions after getting the first dose

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Why does Boris stand socially distanced from his wife?

I like to think it's because she fucking hates him as well. 

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It was cheap!

Do they? I know some will let them know incase they wanna go to London and be fucking terrified for a weekend. 
Why do vets get ptsd? Who knew animal husbandry was so dangerous???

52 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, super_carson said:
I find myself agreeing with a Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer...
200.gif&key=e9ff6ff11cd531be287fe2d0842c8c75ed85b6f96fbb910ec841fa0d68d5f350

In all seriousness, it's not so much about saying he's 100% right but it's about now listening to a wider-pool of experts.  Lockdowns have a positive effect on virus rates, but a negative effect on just about everything else.  We need to be listening to all the experts to plot a sustainable way forward.  No one, not even Sunak, is suggesting we lift all the restrictions tomorrow but there has to be a rational discussion that will involve compromises and the "grown up discussion" that we, in Scotland, were promised.  

We are ahead of England in that as it stands now though. We have the knowledge that as long as the drops continue we will get indicative dates come next review on 16 Feb.

I agree that we are  in a better situation than England, and our rates are falling from a lower starting point due to quick decisions from NS & the SG.  While I think it's fairly obvious the SG's initial handling of the pandemic - and seeming transparency from NS - was far better than that of England's, comparisons between the two countries are largely pointless as our governments have fundamentally different ideologies and leaderships.  It's also going to be years before we know which countries got things right - even Australia and New Zealand won't know the full scale of the impact of their policies for some time.  My worries aren't about the handling of the pandemic as much, but about our plans moving forward. 

The language from NS, Leitch and other advisers is still this overly cautious de facto zero-covid and they appear focused on using lockdowns as the only weapon by which to reduce the virus.  We continue to hear the same lines about variants (some hypothetical)  and transmission with regards to the vaccine, despite a lot of evidence now emerging that the vaccines are effective in these regards.  They may require some alterations as variants pop-up, but from my layman's understanding the current vaccines aren't exactly useless and idea of tweaking vaccines periodically isn't anything new or unusual.  

It's this kind of rhetoric, coupled with Leitch's remarks yesterday that concern me that we will, again, be the slowest country to remove restrictions (and we're kidding ourselves if we think last summer was anything close to it).  The messaging is not about vaccinations being the way forward, but is still rather restriction-centric.   We all know the damage this virus can cause, and right now I am supportive of the restrictions while hospitalisations and death rates remain high and I'm sure many of us who appear overly critical of the SG are in agreement they are necessary for now.  

But it doesn't seem to me that in Scotland we are looking at the damage restrictions will cause.  There is the short-term impact on mental health, but the economic damage has major long-term implications for society and, ironically, public health. Last February, there were 19% of households living in poverty and that figure was already rising - what will that figure look like now?  How many more families will resort to foodbanks as jobs are lost and incomes shrink? There is clear a correlation between poverty, poor health, crime, education, quality of life and life expectancy; the economy and public health are symbiotic.  

I get what you're saying, if the rates continue to fall we will potentially know what's happening come the middle of the month and that's all fine and well but it will be very slow, cautious and laden with caveats.  That said, I am not suggesting a full unrestricted return to normality - I don't think anyone really is.  What I am suggesting is that there needs to be a greater and rational discussion involving all areas of society about the impact of lockdown and whether the restrictions are proportionate.  

Once we hit the end of April with all (or almost all) adults having received the first vaccination, and heading into summer, I don't forsee any steps back.
By the time we hit October and the start of the "winter surge" all adults will have been vaccinated twice.  By then, we need to be back to normal because that is as good as it is going to get.
Surely having to start 2nd doses en masse by about the middle of next month the number of new 1st doses is going to slow massively. That was always the main drawback of doing it as we have and presumably why we are now hearing of trials in mixing the vaccines between the 2 doses.

27 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Sounds awesome.   Be good to spend a night in the bar, sitting in the corner, just observing.

Don't do it.  I was in there a couple of summers back and it was dreadful....

...There's no air conditioning.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Over 45k jagged yesterday. Superb effort that

That's brilliant, hopefully we can maintain that!

Superb numbers and I’m sure Ruth Davidson will be fizzing.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
46 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
Once we hit the end of April with all (or almost all) adults having received the first vaccination, and heading into summer, I don't forsee any steps back.
By the time we hit October and the start of the "winter surge" all adults will have been vaccinated twice.  By then, we need to be back to normal because that is as good as it is going to get.

Surely having to start 2nd doses en masse by about the middle of next month the number of new 1st doses is going to slow massively. That was always the main drawback of doing it as we have and presumably why we are now hearing of trials in mixing the vaccines between the 2 doses.

If we vaccinate at the rate of 45k per day (inc Sundays), we'll be through all adults by end of April (in Scotland).   Using the 12 week window as a guide, second jags will start around mid-April, so only a few weeks crossover at the end of the first jag process.  Come May, everyone will be in the second jag process which should conclude by around July.

That tallies with reports yesterday that the UK govt internally believes everyone will be done by August, which they won't admit to publicly yet.