Jump to content
ICTChris

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Recommended Posts

My Granpa never spoke about it up until a couple of months before he died and he started telling me about his time in France/Belgium/Holland and Germany.  I always wonder if he knew he was on the way out and wanted to talk to someone about it.
In no way did he make it sound in any way heroic or glamorous.  He was away from his wife for 5 years, his mates died, and he saw things that haunted him for the rest of his life. 


I’d never met my great grandparents, both were dead before I was born but both great grand fathers were in the black watch.

My grans dad had been a soldier before the war kicked off and apparently was a bit more open with stories but would only really talk if prompted too, but never went too much into it.

My Grandads father on the other hand didn’t talk about it at all, my dad says he can remember asking him about the war for a school project and he’d spoke about where he’d travelled and his role in the army but nothing beyond that.

I always find it rather weird when you find this group who spend their entire time talking about the war, and nothing but the war.

We don’t even know where any of their medals are, we know one set ended up being left to a sibling of my grandad who’s since died, but the other set has gone awol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mizfit said:

 


I’d never met my great grandparents, both were dead before I was born but both great grand fathers were in the black watch.

My grans dad had been a soldier before the war kicked off and apparently was a bit more open with stories but would only really talk if prompted too, but never went too much into it.

My Grandads father on the other hand didn’t talk about it at all, my dad says he can remember asking him about the war for a school project and he’d spoke about where he’d travelled and his role in the army but nothing beyond that.

I always find it rather weird when you find this group who spend their entire time talking about the war, and nothing but the war.

We don’t even know where any of their medals are, we know one set ended up being left to a sibling of my grandad who’s since died, but the other set has gone awol.

 

I've got my Granpa's campaign medals in a box.  I keep meaning to get them mounted and display them.  Not because I have any kind of raging hardon for ARE BOIS, but as a memory of what he went through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've got my Granpa's campaign medals in a box.  I keep meaning to get them mounted and display them.  Not because I have any kind of raging hardon for ARE BOIS, but as a memory of what he went through.
I actually have some bits and pieces of my grandads including his flight logs. It's not the most interesting content but like you say, it's a memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

Whilst the glamorisation and glorification of war is extremely distasteful, I think those who served in ww2 can be proud of their involvement.  They were, in the main, ordinary men who were conscripted to fight facists, not career soliders like today who had a choice in joining up.  

And, whilst the above maybe oversimplifies the politics of it, I dont think it can really be argued that Britain should not have been involved or picked the wrong side.

Agree with the reluctance to talk about it.  One of my grandfathers served in Burma in WW2 and spent a not inconsiderable amount of time in a japanese POW camp.  He certainly wasnt eager to tell tales about volleyball on the beach or fine dining abroad.

None of my relatives who served in the Second World War ever talked about their experiences (apart from my father who talked a little bit about guarding the Forth Bridge - that's what he spent the war doing - who saw colleagues killed on exercises). Not him, not my Uncle Jimmy (submariner), not my Uncle Dave (Desert Rat), not my Uncle Bob (Merchant Navy). Not the two fellas I knew who were at Dunkirk, other than to say they were at Dunkirk. Nor the 4 chaps I knew who were in Japanese/Italian PoW camps, other than to say they were prisoners.

Different generation. Nowadays it would be all over Facebook and Twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yanks will be up to third tomorrow.
Ra Sellick now on the board.
It won't matter a f**k if we decide to still measure the pandemic in new cases which for some bizarre reason seems to be the direction of travel. BBC this morning floating the notion that running nose and sneezing might get added to the symptoms prompting a test ffs. We will be testing (and hence finding) tens of thousands more 'cases' if that happens.

Once we get well into this vaccination program surely new cases become irrelevant and it all becomes about illness serious enough to require hospitals ie strain on the NHS. Even Sunak is commenting on the clear shift of emphasis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've got my Granpa's campaign medals in a box.  I keep meaning to get them mounted and display them.  Not because I have any kind of raging hardon for ARE BOIS, but as a memory of what he went through.

I think you should, tbh. My brother has our Dad's medals (and Uncle Jimmy's), but I've no idea what he has done with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

What about Captain Peacock in Are You Being Served, was he also conning us on prime time TV for years?

I imagine back then it would have been shorthand for him being a faux-posh social climber...the joke of him being a retired army captain probably would have resonated a lot more in the 70s when a much greater proportion of the population would have had served in the military at some point, whether it was WW2, national service or the fact that the UK had a much bigger standing army than it does now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted at 9:00

Significant return to normality' possible after vulnerable vaccinated - scientist

8016b458-9b55-4fc1-956a-a74580075f20.jpg&key=3a6c521da01c88a9e4af714e6ff926df86481c6982134a5675525dd66e5e0ddc

Today Programme

BBC Radio 4

Prof Andrew Hayward - a member of the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) - says that, once the most vulnerable in society have been vaccinated, a return to normality is within reach.

He tells BBC Radio 4's Today Programme: "Once the most vulnerable people, particularly those over 50 and those with chronic illnesses, are vaccinated then yes I think we can see a significant return to normality.

"That, in addition to the fact coronavirus is a seasonal disease, I think will make a big difference and allow us to open up.

"I think what we'll see is a phased opening up as the vaccination levels increase, and then we will be more or less back to normal for the summer, I would imagine."

I wonder how much Sturgeon will continue to drag her feet, though. bQshDtu.png&key=1a9e11e2f19a969ee15b38033f6c0456d674c7a29810b3a5943ebd042cf0fb2f
I think Sunaks comments today are aimed at Westminster who appear to be following the exact same ultra cautious line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:
I've got my Granpa's campaign medals in a box.  I keep meaning to get them mounted and display them.  Not because I have any kind of raging hardon for ARE BOIS, but as a memory of what he went through.

I actually have some bits and pieces of my grandads including his flight logs. It's not the most interesting content but like you say, it's a memory.

This is the one thing that I have of his that he brought back.  He got a hold of a Luger and some American had this and begged him to swap it.

My Granpa got the much better deal imho.  The leather case is really lovely and the flask is crystal with a silver cap.  

*Wee hands. 

20210204_101235.jpg

20210204_101248.jpg

20210204_101258.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've got my Granpa's campaign medals in a box.  I keep meaning to get them mounted and display them.  Not because I have any kind of raging hardon for ARE BOIS, but as a memory of what he went through.

You are going to wear them all on your orange away top next time you get into Ibrox, don't even try to pretend otherwise.  Your hipster-Rangers fan act is fooling no-one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whilst the glamorisation and glorification of war is extremely distasteful, I think those who served in ww2 can be proud of their involvement.  They were, in the main, ordinary men who were conscripted to fight facists, not career soliders like today who had a choice in joining up.  
And, whilst the above maybe oversimplifies the politics of it, I dont think it can really be argued that Britain should not have been involved or picked the wrong side.
Agree with the reluctance to talk about it.  One of my grandfathers served in Burma in WW2 and spent a not inconsiderable amount of time in a japanese POW camp.  He certainly wasnt eager to tell tales about volleyball on the beach or fine dining abroad.
Yeah iv worded that wrongly because I do think those who fought in WW2 especially can be proud of their actions and we of them. Of course we are way beyond that now right enough with the Nation level crywanking every year.

Glorification a better choice of word.

Things done out of necessity and best consigned to history, but not allowed to be by folk who werent there and dont have to live with the image of butchering folk just like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is the one thing that I have of his that he brought back.  He got a hold of a Luger and some American had this and begged him to swap it.
My Granpa got the much better deal imho.  The leather case is really lovely and the flask is crystal with a silver cap.  
*Wee hands. 
20210204_101235.thumb.jpg.5bcb6c482b3a0170914799c2dbe1df23.jpg
20210204_101248.thumb.jpg.a42543ddcdf01e1e5a864c9875cbc847.jpg
20210204_101258.thumb.jpg.a79c733bb94e26fa032c47ea4376a305.jpg
Just about squeeze a 25ml dram into that I'd imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

You are going to wear them all on your orange away top next time you get into Ibrox, don't even try to pretend otherwise.  Your hipster-Rangers fan act is fooling no-one.

You've just described my attire for when the missus and I perform our nuptials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

I imagine back then it would have been shorthand for him being a faux-posh social climber...the joke of him being a retired army captain probably would have resonated a lot more in the 70s when a much greater proportion of the population would have had served in the military at some point, whether it was WW2, national service or the fact that the UK had a much bigger standing army than it does now.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  Part of the joke was he wasn't a Major, he was a mere Captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandfather is far from one to harp on about the war in day to day life, but now always gets contacted by the press whenever D-Day remembrance comes around (as one of very few survivors still around).  To him the heroes are those in the ground over there, not him who got gunned down and spent months and months in a hospital in Southampton.  For me, this is quite a chilling quote:

"My introduction to D-Day was seeing a soldier lying face up in the water, dead. He was quite peaceful, but quite dead – and that’s something you never forget."

Edited by Hedgecutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great uncle kept several tophies he took from Germans during the war - a Nazi armband and a breastplate.  I don't know about his medals, I think my aunt and uncle have them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ICTChris said:

My great uncle kept several tophies he took from Germans during the war - a Nazi armband and a breastplate.  I don't know about his medals, I think my aunt and uncle have them.

For sale?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I wonder how much Sturgeon will continue to drag her feet, though. bQshDtu.png&key=1a9e11e2f19a969ee15b38033f6c0456d674c7a29810b3a5943ebd042cf0fb2f
I think Sunaks comments today are aimed at Westminster who appear to be following the exact same ultra cautious line.

I think we can also take from that, that come come 1st May it will be  "you'll have had your furlough"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

For sale?...

We are in discussions with a collector in Ireland

Image result for father ted nazi room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...