Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Believe it or not but many don't have "smart phones" with bluetooth etc, this includes the poorest in society and many in the over 65's bracket, however this seems to have been completely overlooked by many and that includes Governments and their often extremely disconnected so called "advisors".

This has also been apparent with the track and trace / test and protect apps.

Good point, if you don’t have a smart device and internet access then it’s tricky. I believe that there are track and trace teams who did the old fashioned phone or door knocking though.

Once we’ve seen the population take up the vaccine and we’re down to the only ones unvaccinated being weirdos or the under 16’s I’d imagine they’d maybe keep some of the restrictions such as mask wearing and social distancing until October.

Anything beyond the end of this year can get in the sea.

Once we’ve seen the population take up the vaccine and we’re down to the only ones unvaccinated being weirdos or the under 16’s I’d imagine they’d maybe keep some of the restrictions such as mask wearing and social distancing until October.

Anything beyond the end of this year can get in the sea.
Absolutely no chance they'll have everyone done by October, I'm 26 and I'm not expecting mines for years tbh.

Mutations will happen in a virus. From the minute amount of virology I did at uni, I seem to recall if you put pressure on it, though vaccination or lockdown, but still having circulate at a substantive level you run the risk of adaptive mutations. If it is allowed free rein through a population, you see random mutations.

Zero covid is the only way to avoid that but, as has been pointed out, given the levels of the virus we have here and on our door step, that's pretty much unachievable right now.

Happy for anyone with any knowledge to let me know im talking out my arse.

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I’m fed up with so called “scientists”.

I only want to hear from Van Morrison and QAnon.

Hopefully via an album of Ian Brown covers.

With school kids as backing singers recorded live in a pub/gym.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

Why do the keep going on about other mutations , from my wikipedia and the beano covid cartoon strip expertise most virusus mutate into a weaker and more spreadable form to extend it's life cycle. All they ever say is it's more spreadable but never really tell us if it's more life threatening.

edit: Also how many folk in the UK have had it as there is 4m confirmed so what is the number they believe of unconfirmed?

Edited by dirty dingus

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Why on earth would the hospitality industry be gone for ever. 

Do you honestly think the hospitality industry can survive if households must remain 1m apart indefinitely?

The social aspect of it would be gone.

No big weddings / parties etc.

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Why on earth would the hospitality industry be gone for ever. 

It wouldn't be gone forever but it would be fucked for a long time.

The capital required to adapt to those sort of long term changes to make opening up viable simply won't be available to any local pubs/restaurants.

Wetherspoons will probably be fine though, so hurrah.

I'd say fucked personally. Only restaurants would survive. Pubs would be gone completely.

Much as I have zero faith in either govt, they surely know this isnt workable. However, such scientific advice shouldnt be constantly getting bled into the public domain is no use. If some attention seeking clown wants to float this to govt fair enough, but we are only getting one side of it.

Let's have these idiots publicly rinsed please.

5 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Why do the keep going on about other mutations

I doubt (m)any of our senior MPs / MSPs have a scientific background, meaning they are just regurgitating what their scientific advisors are telling them.

In that sense, the desire to have constant news updates, coupled with having the hot new story to break is the main culprit here.

We've essentially got journalists who aren't qualified to talk about viruses asking questions to NS etc, who aren't qualified to answer those questions, every day, and producing the news.

It's not particularly helpful.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I'd say fucked personally. Only restaurants would survive. Pubs would be gone completely.

Much as I have zero faith in either govt, they surely know this isnt workable. However, such scientific advice shouldnt be constantly getting bled into the public domain is no use. If some attention seeking clown wants to float this to govt fair enough, but we are only getting one side of it.

Let's have these idiots publicly rinsed please.

You'd likely lose an entire generation of pubs before some new form of drinking establishment took it's place but probably years down the line. Maybe more continental-like cafe's where you can go for anything from a coffee, a beer to a full on meal would take over.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You'd likely lose an entire generation of pubs before some new form of drinking establishment took it's place but probably years down the line. Maybe more continental-like cafe's where you can go for anything from a coffee, a beer to a full on meal would take over.

But those places rely just as much on social interaction as anywhere else.

If you can't meet with your friends, family or colleagues to do those things with then there simply isn't a market.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The new drinking establishment is taking hold already. Its sub machines in folks houses. Where the govt will fonding it harder to reach in and destroy it for everyone, and earn little in VAT. They want to be careful what they wish for. 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But those places rely just as much on social interaction as anywhere else.

If you can't meet with your friends, family or colleagues to do those things with then there simply isn't a market.

I don't think it would be an end to meeting other households, given we could do that last summer/autumn.

It does seem to imply an end to mass gatherings like work do's etc which is why I agree with Bairnardo that pubs in their current guise would just die out.