Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Whilst you are correct that the rates went up after the schools went back there may have been other factors in play if you look at the graph below it shows that after the implementation of circuit breaker and tier 4 restrictions in the Glasgow and surrounding areas, around the school October holidays, that the case levels were actually dropping until the Christmas break when everyone was given the free for all. 

So while schools may contribute to the overall level of infection you could say that it is obviously not the only factor that drives infections.  Given the graphs it is therefore possible to have the schools open and control the infection spread with other measures and given now with vaccines available, we would hope, there is less pressure on hospitals.

Screenshot_20210215-175325~2.png

Whilst I have been annoyed by the reluctance of either WM or the SG to recognise the potential impact having schools open would have, I would bet that the surge in September and October was caused by the mass movement of students around the country for the commencement of the new university term.

48 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

When they concede this inch, I hope everyone takes a mile

Incredibly stupid thing to say.

We saw the infection rate plummet after the first lockdown then shoot up again to an unacceptable degree.  The last thing we need is a further significant increase after the existing restrictions are relaxed or removed.  That will only result in restrictions being reimposed which is the worst possible outcome.

I genuinely hope that as the existing restrictions are removed there is never a need to reimpose them.  If that means exercising a bit of common sense for a while then so be it.

I look forward to returning to complete normality rather than any sort of ‘new normal’ scenario.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We saw the infection rate plummet after the first lockdown then shoot up again to an unacceptable degree.  The last thing we need is a further significant increase after the existing restrictions are relaxed or removed.  That will only result in restrictions being reimposed which is the worst possible outcome.

I genuinely hope that as the existing restrictions are removed there is never a need to reimpose them.  If that means exercising a bit of common sense for a while then so be it.

I look forward to returning to complete normality rather than any sort of ‘new normal’ scenario.

Agree with the common sense approach but once the old and vulnerable have had their second jag there's really no reason why we shouldn't be almost back to normal, with the exception of unhindered international travel which is some way off.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I have absolutely no need to make up my mind on this because both parts can simultaneously be valid.

Having to do schoolwork is different from the holidays.  Said schoolwork doesn't however mean that kids aren't bored given all the restrictions in place.

It means that they aren't bored due to a lack of activity, but rather 'bored by being forced to engage in activities that they don't enjoy'. Sort of like 'being at school' all along then.

That parents are getting a daily taste of their sprogs being bored and acting up at home rather than in a classroom is not relevant either way. 

There is not a compulsion to sit at home, but the lack of available alternative pursuits, means that much more sitting at home is happening than would during a typical summer holiday.

You're simply talking rubbish here.

Well no, because they're not actually 'sitting around' at home. They have work to do. There's nothing to stop children being outside as well and you must be living in a different world if you think that's not happening: with and without parental supervision. 

The comparison is really between what they would be doing a year ago and today. 

Well yeah, if you see restrictions as some sort of punishment for naughty behaviour.

I will concede that it depends what the roadmap says but I would be fully on board with the public using the only means they have to send a message if the roadmap reflects the negative narrative we are already used to, and is riddled with "close to normality" type bullshit.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Isn't it climate change he denies?

I wonder what category he's under in this guide:

https://grist.org/series/skeptics/

Don't really care to be honest, just amazed he considers himself a better judge of what is stupid than even someone who voted for Brexit

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

It means that they aren't bored due to a lack of activity, but rather 'bored by being forced to engage in activities that they don't enjoy'. Sort of like 'being at school' all along then.

That parents are getting a daily taste of their sprogs being bored and acting up at home rather than in a classroom is not relevant either way. 

Well no, because they're not actually 'sitting around' at home. They have work to do. There's nothing to stop children being outside as well and you must be living in a different world if you think that's not happening: with and without parental supervision. 

The comparison is really between what they would be doing a year ago and today. 

No, not like being at school at all.  I can't believe I'm explaining this, but at school, they'd be surrounded by peers and they would be set more work than is currently the case.

The thing stopping people from being outside is that there's nowhere to go.  Being outside isn't that appealing at this time of year.  It was you who asked how it differs from summer holidays after Strichener bizarrely raised it.

I love the bit about the different world I must be living in, by the way.  Obviously, I couldn't possibly rival your levels of insight on this one.