Coronavirus (COVID-19)

59 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I can only talk of experience of.my sons school. 1500 pupils over 2 sites. Total positive tests from August to December was 2. This is accurate as Fife report them all and I like.my figures as you all know.
Now the school is academically the best in Fife so it may well be that transfers through to following the rules more than other schools.
Does show it is possible though to avoid widespread events.

Nursery/school I work in: 2cases

School kids in: 2 cases

Their previous school: 0 cases.

I'm not going to get annoyed by the routemap until I see it, and have also seen what NS things she needs to be seen to care more about and change for no real reason.

For someone who bangs on about a 4 nations approach being best she doesn't half love deviating and "going further"

I don’t see how it wouldn’t be. I’d imagine their using the same vaccine in the trial as they are in ‘real world’ and one would also imagine both the trials and ‘real world’ were tested on alive human beings.

I haven't really read into the details of trials for these vaccines, but in general the main question, statistically speaking, is whether the sample in the trial is representative of the general population. It is conceivable that there are groups of people who are missed by the trial for whatever reason - for example a group being too vulnerable to take part or a certain type of person with certain characteristics being more willing to take part than others.

A simple example would be if you were only advertising for participants on the internet, then you're going to miss out a lot of older people or more vulnerable people who don't use the internet much. That's obviously quite simplistic, but there will be other more nuanced issues that could easily be overlooked.

You try to account for these things in the design of your trial and in your analysis, but there's always a tiny chance that something has been overlooked. Therefore it's always going to be something that is monitored to make sure that everything is working as intended.

Sky reporter asking 'What if the vaccine is not 100% effective?'.

At this point in proceedings, a year into this pandemic, they should be fucking barred from future conferences for even asking something as moronic as that. They know fine well that it's not 100% effective so why ask it other than looking for more sensationalism?

Fucking Sky.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sky reporter asking 'What if the vaccine is not 100% effective?'.

At this point in proceedings, a year into this pandemic, they should be fucking barred from future conferences for even asking something as moronic as that. They know fine well that it's not 100% effective so why ask it other than looking for more sensationalism?

Fucking Sky.

Sky have been adept at fear mongering through sensationalism the entire pandemic. No reason they'll stop it now. 

I'm not going to get annoyed by the routemap until I see it, and have also seen what NS things she needs to be seen to care more about and change for no real reason.
For someone who bangs on about a 4 nations approach being best she doesn't half love deviating and "going further"
As frustrating as the cautious approach the Scottish Government have applied so far, it has resulted in England having 1.5 times the deaths per head of population compared to Scotland.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Another mental statement from Johnson. The routemap will be "cautious but irreversible " that's some statement !!!

Mental utterly utterly mental, I would much rather a fast moving programme linked with vaccine deployment, once the at risk groups have been done get the out door economy going again and a few weeks after that start a risk based approach at the indoor economy but be pragmatic if bowling alleys start a spike or we do actually see a MUTANT strain that is resistant to the vaccine then we need to be able to bring back in restrictions and most importantly financial support within hours.

To say we won't be going back sends the wrong message imo maybe he wants one final U turn. 

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Must just have been a coincidence the rates went shooting up when they went back then. 

Aren't kids generally asymptomatic as well? They'll spread it easily even if not ill themselves. 

Whilst you are correct that the rates went up after the schools went back there may have been other factors in play if you look at the graph below it shows that after the implementation of circuit breaker and tier 4 restrictions in the Glasgow and surrounding areas, around the school October holidays, that the case levels were actually dropping until the Christmas break when everyone was given the free for all. 

So while schools may contribute to the overall level of infection you could say that it is obviously not the only factor that drives infections.  Given the graphs it is therefore possible to have the schools open and control the infection spread with other measures and given now with vaccines available, we would hope, there is less pressure on hospitals.

Screenshot_20210215-175325~2.png