Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I know a couple of folk in West Lothian who are getting their jab this week, late sixties with no health concerns.  My old man is nearly 67, so hopefully won’t be too long for him and others  in  Edinburgh now.

Edited by super_carson

36 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Great news.

Hopefully shuts down the roasters on here voting Tory because they want a pint. Worse than voting for Brexit because they read a bus.

Well, even if 100% of adults get vaxxed we'll still need to social distance, just to be safe.

At least, that's according to the hapless Swinney...

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:
10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
England bad Scotland good.

Eh?

Just joking, there's some on here that can't give England any credit. I would have thought that any decent employer would welcome testing and a chance to make staff feel safer.

Most outbreaks now happen at workplaces so testing is needed. 

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Could you post a link so we can read the article, cheers.

It was in the Scotsman and posted on here - and rightly criticised - yesterday.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus-scotland-restrictions-will-not-be-scrapped-when-vaccine-rollout-complete-says-deputy-first-minister-3126282

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I know the SNP are a means to an end as far as  future independence goes, but in the here and now, the crisis of our times is happening, and it is going to be prolonged and made worse than it needs to by what I consider to be a ludicrous and dangerous position which seems to be manifesting within Scotgov. I cant reconcile this current state of affairs against the potential for indy some time in the future.

between you and me, i'll probs just draw a cock on it.

But surely your only choice is either independence or the status quo and I ken which one I prefer.

5 hours ago, 101 said:

If that's true not pitching up will have the same effect. But the vote count would be significantly down which isn't a good look in my opinion.

If the option was between not voting and spoiling your ballot, which it was in this case, then spoiling your ballot is better, in my opinion.

The same reply as above.

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Always been curious as to why their handwriting is like that. Is it a time thing? where they will write shorthand to save time to get onto the next patient? But they and other docs will know what it means if they read it?

My worry would be can the chemist read it!

I dinnae fancy getting pills for morning sickness instead of for my diabetes.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I know the SNP are a means to an end as far as  future independence goes, but in the here and now, the crisis of our times is happening, and it is going to be prolonged and made worse than it needs to by what I consider to be a ludicrous and dangerous position which seems to be manifesting within Scotgov. I cant reconcile this current state of affairs against the potential for indy some time in the future.

between you and me, i'll probs just draw a cock on it.

Might take a while to draw his hair right.

Image result for boris johnson cock

Well, even if 100% of adults get vaxxed we'll still need to social distance, just to be safe.
If just seen a guy called Ben Wallace (apparently he is the UKG defence secretary - nope me neither) on the news saying pretty much the same thing based on the (non peer reviewed) AZ protection deficiency against the SA variant. It certainly seems to be the current direction of travel. I get the impression there is real disappointment at this discovery (assuming it's officially ratified) amongst the powers that be.

If just seen a guy called Ben Wallace (apparently he is the UKG defence secretary - nope me neither) on the news saying pretty much the same thing based on the (non peer reviewed) AZ protection deficiency against the SA variant. It certainly seems to be the current direction of travel. I get the impression there is real disappointment at this discovery (assuming it's officially ratified) amongst the powers that be.
Although again, if it still protects against hospitalisation and death, and offers a reduction in transmission, then what's the problem.

You may feel a bit shit for a couple of days. So what.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
58 minutes ago, Elixir said:

As stated, AstraZeneca say they are confident it still protects against the need for hospitalisation. In any case, transmission will naturally plummet in summer, before a booster is available by the autumn. There's also absolutely nothing to suggest the variants from South Africa or Brazil will suddenly become dominant over the UK one. Indeed, I was just reading that the opposite is a distinct possibility.

It is yet more unacceptable shifting of the goalposts which simply has to stop. We cannot safeguard against every single person getting ill or possibly dying at the ruin of a free democratic society.

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I was looking for this tweet the other day regarding talk of Australia and New Zealand dropping all restrictions post-vaccination.

In Europe and North America, you're looking at probably a third of the population being exposed to natural infection by the end of winter.

That's excellent vaccine numbers.

Good news elsewhere as well.

Hospital cases - 1729 - down 65
ICU cases - 117 - down 6
Daily positive tests - 895 - 5.9% of those tested

Hospital and ICU cases heading in the right direction - a wee bump up in the daily positive test numbers and % - hopefully it's just a blip.

Think that’s yesterday’s numbers. There were only 584 new cases today and further drops in hospital and ICU.