Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why is being sceptical of the need for continued restrictions long after the vaccine program has battered through half the population a "rabbit hole"?

I am generally willing to have a serious discussion with posters who I think merit it and treat the others as I think they should be treated.

I’ve always had you in the first group but your last response bar one suggests that you’re at it.  Nonetheless, since I’m magnanimous, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I think the SG and their advisers are being very wary because they’re dealing with an unprecedented situation that is still evolving.  To go off at a slight tangent, that’s why I get pissed off at the ‘I want to know when x, y and z is happening’ bunch.  Only a stupid or reckless politician* or public health official would try to predict where we will be in a month’s time, let alone three month.

I do not believe the SG will keep restrictions in place any longer than are necessary, they just do not want to offer false optimism.  I respect them for that.

* Or populists in a post-truth era who will say something then deny it a week/month later.  A bigger, longer term issue for society than the pandemic.

Edited by Granny Danger

4 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Well I'll quite happily vote SNP and I'll be giving my list vote to the Greens maximising the pro-indy numbers in the d'hondt system.   The whole election will be framed around the constitution.   If ( and it's a big if ) the SNP poll over 50% there will be enormous pressure of Westminister to allow for a 2nd referendum.   Labour and Lib Dems will probably come on board and at worst support for independence will climb ( due to Westministers refusal ) as it gets dragged through the courts.    

The idea you can be pro-independence and vote for these b*****ds is bonkers.   Post-election Nicola Sturgeon will still be the FM.  The only person you'll be helping with a spoilt ballot is the           'Douglas Ross' of this world.  Image result for douglas ross no independence

Out of greenies, but same here.  The Greens will get my second vote if it’s likely to result in a bigger YES cohort in the Scottish Parliament.

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Re ballot papers "A none of the above" option should be available.

Of course, that'll never happen, the same as PR will never happen for Westminster elections. PR is all well and good for the NI, Welsh & Scots elections though.

A constituency that selects None of the above having a vacant seat or, imo the best option, having a random constituent selected in a ballot would be class.

Anyway, the only positive I can find for voting SNP atm that doesn't involve holding your vote hostage in perpetuity is that there's some mentalist on the Politics Forum who'll have to donate at least a hundred quid to good causes if Sturgeon somehow clings on beyond June.

Edited by NotThePars

18 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Between the Lone Beholder having an absolute nightmare and the Climate Denier's old posts getting chucked up to remind us what an absolute knob he is even without outing himself as a selfish wee Tory, it's been quite a couple of days on here - fair taken my mind off the aches and pains, I can tell you.

Anyone want to lay claim to being one of the "Main Players"?

Glad to see you're nearly back to your usual combative self! :thumsup2

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I am generally willing to have a serious discussion with posters who I think merit it and treat the others as I think they should be treated.

I’ve always had you in the first group but your last response bar one suggests that you’re at it.  Nonetheless, since I’m magnanimous, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I think the SG and their advisers are being very wary because they’re dealing with an unprecedented situation that is still evolving.  To go off at a slight tangent, that’s why I get pissed off at the ‘I want to know when x, y and z is happening’ bunch.  Only a stupid or reckless politician* or public health official would try to predict where we will be in a month’s time, let alone three month.

I do not believe the SG will keep restrictions in place any longer than are necessary, they just do not want to offer false optimism.  I respect them for that.

* Or populists in a post-truth era who will say something then deny it a week/month later.  A bigger, longer term issue for society than the pandemic.

I am also not worrying about what might happen 3 months from now but it does seem to have a lot of people frustrated. 

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I always thought encouraging the disaffected to vote would be a good idea until I saw Trump winning in 2016 then increasing his vote in 2020.

"Wants people to vote but only if they vote the way I like" type post.

(For the benefit of the non humorously abled, the above is facetious.)

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You obviously have no idea what ‘trolling’ means.  Maybe that’s why you’re half way down a rabbit hole with posters who are generally a lot thicker than you are.

We're you not the person who was predicting about quarter of a million dead in Scotland alone in the first 6 weeks of the pandemic? 

I mean, I'm not sure I'd accept your yardstick of what qualifies as intelligent. 

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Todd definitely is, and having me on ignore seems a criterion.

If you can’t read this post you’re in with a shout.

Disappointed to find out I'm not a "Main Player"...

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm not at it at all. I am genuinely fucking raging with the messaging from scotgov and their advisors which does real damage whether its well intentioned or not.  I believe they are cowering away from any risk, probably as a consequence of months of gaslighting the population into an irrational level of fear, which isn't proportionate to the ongoing threat faced. Not wanting to build up hopes is entirely different to what they are doing IMO and if that's their actual intention, they are quite simply, spectacularly fucking bad at it.

Your "they don't want to offer false optimism" is my "they absolutely are offering false pessimism". Its either one of those two, or they are actually so afraid of a single covid death that they so intend to keep restrictions in the long term regardless of hospital numbers which should be IMO, but doesn't sound like it actually is, by far the most important driver of restriction removal.

The about turn of yon GD from someone who predicted something like four million dead Scots within a fortnight, via calling folk VLs who questioned why it was necessary for him to drive his wife to the shops to sit in the car while she did the shopping at a time we were all being told to stay at home as much as possible (instead of, you know, going for the shopping himself), to calling folk trolls and thick is really quite something.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We're you not the person who was predicting about quarter of a million dead in Scotland alone in the first 6 weeks of the pandemic? 

I mean, I'm not sure I'd accept your yardstick of what qualifies as intelligent. 

Were does not have an apostrophe.

I’m not sure I’d accept your yardstick of what qualifies as intelligent.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It was significantly more than that - 3m dead in a week or something. 

Anyone who doesn't have the lad on Ignore by now only has themselves to blame. 

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The about turn of yon GD from someone who predicted something like four million dead Scots within a fortnight, via calling folk VLs who questioned why it was necessary for him to drive his wife to the shops to sit in the car while she did the shopping at a time we were all being told to stay at home as much as possible (instead of, you know, going for the shopping himself), to calling folk trolls and thick is really quite something.

That's right - anyone who DIDN'T drive their wife down to get milk during a pandemic had never had any ass in their life according to GD.

Granny Danger doing about as good a job defending positions on this thread as Freeman has of managing the pandemic. 
Completely understand why people are absolutely furious with the SNP and the Scottish Government’s handling of this crisis. I accept that they are the only route to Indy ref 2, I also just generally feel let down by their performance overall and find them keen to take plaudits from their own fans but very much unwilling to even respond to requests for clarification or concerns from the people they are supposed to serve. Ive only voted for them but find myself just absolutely scunnered with politics in general now. 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

It was significantly more than that - 3m dead in a week or something. 

Anyone who doesn't have the lad on Ignore by now only has themselves to blame. 

I love the fact that you (supposedly) have me on ignore yet still obsess about me.

Living rent free in Marshie’s head, lots of room still here...