Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

One of the more disheartening aspects of the pandemic for me has been the reveal on just how lacking in understanding and empathy a large section of the public are. This thread and social media is a microcosm of this, with a huge number of posts like the above. Just one very prominent example of this is every time someone mentions hospitality, it’s straight to “you just want a pint” rather than any sort of empathy for the large number of people furloughed or unemployed, or who’s business is likely finished and are struggling to make ends meet.

There’s been plenty of other examples of this, but it’s always sad to see that a lot of people, like GD above, that either genuinely are incapable of empathy and therefore can’t think beyond “this person wants a pint” or, even worse, they do understand but just don’t care.

All of us have been affected by this, all of us.  The year out of my life is probably a bigger proportion of my remaining years than many on here.

I’m not able to see my granddaughter, can’t go on holiday (my biggest pleasure in life), can’t go to the football (maybe a blessing in disguise), having to struggle with the impact on my business (that’s not fun).  The thing is I’m not constantly bitching and moaning about it and looking for sympathy because I accept that it’s an unprecedented situation.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

It's an extraordinary lack of understanding.

You'd imagine someone who by their own admission wrongly voted for Brexit, would learn from their previous mistakes and have a bit more empathy and open-mindedness to the current situation we find ourselves in and the effect it's having on people but it seems some are just doomed to making the same mistakes over and over.

There’s a few posters like GD and more recently ayrmad who are like this. Whether they are incapable of empathy, or do understand but actively ignore it, is the real question. Either way, it’s been eye-opening.

12 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

My parents both received the AZ vaccine yesterday.  Mum was fine but my dad had a wee reaction with muscle pains and shivers that kept him up overnight.   He's fine now and has ordered a new 4 slice toaster from Amazon which will be delivered on Monday.  

My wife doesn't need vaccinated to do that sort of thing.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

All of us have been affected by this, all of us.  The year out of my life is probably a bigger proportion of my remaining years than many on here.

I’m not able to see my granddaughter, can’t go on holiday (my biggest pleasure in life), can’t go to the football (maybe a blessing in disguise), having to struggle with the impact on my business (that’s not fun).  The thing is I’m not constantly bitching and moaning about it and looking for sympathy because I accept that it’s an unprecedented situation.

And yet in spite of all this, you dismiss people, (including people who have been long-standing supporters of the SNP and Scottish Government) who are quite reasonably angry at the prospect of a fully vaccinated nation being under continued restrictions beyond the programme's rollout, as 'bitchers and moaners'

Do you understand how counterintuitive this is (as well as harmful to yourself) that you'd sooner suffer all of the hardships you've described than ever question the motives or capabilities of the political party you support?

I genuinely struggle to comprehend that.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

"I would like answers regarding why a procession of Scotgov ministers and advisers are foreshadowing the continuation of restrictions that impact my business/livelihood/physical health/mental health/education/education of my children/ability to see my children/parents/grandparents/friends/ability to travel abroad et cetera, far beyond the stated aim of protecting the NHS, with numerous highly effective vaccines in place, for an as yet undetermined period of time with no mention of criteria for, or even possibility of, their removal"

Is equal to

"constantly bitching and moaning about it and looking for sympathy"

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Better than the bitching and whining “Boo hoo, poor me, I can’t go to the pub.  Life is so cruel” type patter.

Yes, because every single one of people wanting pubs to open are alkies choking on a pint and not one of the thousands of folk employed in the hospitality trade (and the thousands more employed in their supply chains).

I’ve read a few people hypothesise that the Kent strain came from medical experiments on Covid patients. I don’t mean batshit conspiracy theorists but one Twitter account in particular who I find very reliable.
[/url] A paper has been written on this, positing that the strain came due to plasma treatments.

Don't know about the experiment part but I thought it was already known that the Kent variant was traced back to two patients in a hospital?

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yep, one of my friends is down 5 figures a week, thankfully he looks for solutions rather than be negative. 

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

There’s a few posters like GD and more recently ayrmad who are like this. Whether they are incapable of empathy, or do understand but actively ignore it, is the real question. Either way, it’s been eye-opening.

I find it eye-opening that folk can only see their way of dealing with negative situations, there is not one single benefit for me of wallowing over dealing with it. 

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve read a few people hypothesise that the Kent strain came from medical experiments on Covid patients. I don’t mean batshit conspiracy theorists but one Twitter account in particular who I find very reliable.

A paper has been written on this, positing that the strain came due to plasma treatments.

My MiL got covalescent plasma as part of a trial when she had it in, I think, October-ish. 

For a few weeks at least it was standard in Lanarkshire anyway

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

never has this GIF been more apt:

steve coogan shrug GIF

That's how I feel when folk are moaning about watching wee Johnny all week or not getting out for a pint. 

Side one: You just want to go to the pub/holiday and don't care if you kill a granny. 

Side two: you want the entire world to be locked down forever because you're scared of a virus. 

In reality, no-one actually holds either of these positions. 

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

“I’ll vote Tory if it allows me to go for a pint” would be an astounding position for most posters.  But, lone behold, it’s about what I’d expect from ‘the main players’ on here.

You edited it and still left this! :lol:

Just now, madwullie said:

Side one: You just want to go to the pub/holiday and don't care if you kill a granny. 

Side two: you want the entire world to be locked down forever because you're scared of a virus. 

I don't think GD or me want restrictions anymore than anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If you’re really interested (which I doubt) pop over to the politics thread where you will see my misplaced reasoning and my many retractions of that position.

Though you’re probably more interested in scoring cheap points/garnering greenies.

Just ignore him ffs.

What is the Scottish governments idea then? They don’t sound at all convincing that there’s any light at the end of the tunnel, all they are doing with their talk is giving rise to peoples anxieties that we’re not getting out of this in our lifetime