Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

A significant number of people will continue to wear face masks and keep a little bit of distance well after any govt determines it's no longer necessary. That's my take based on the number of folk I've seen from the Far East in places like London. They've just kept doing it every since SARS I think. 

One thing I've always dwelled on throughout is just how many minks were there pre-pandemic who wouldn't routinely wash their hands and generally not cough and splutter in the direction of others?

A significant number of people will continue to wear face masks and keep a little bit of distance well after any govt determines it's no longer necessary. That's my take based on the number of folk I've seen from the Far East in places like London. They've just kept doing it every since SARS I think. 

Thats personal choice tho, bit different to be mandated by law. It wasn’t a legal requirement to wear a face covering in the far east and there ware plenty who did not.
Most people liked the old normal and want to see it return, I haven’t been to a nightclub in years but I don’t take the attitude of “ ach who gives a f**k it doesn’t affect me” when they have been kept closed for so long, most humans are social beings
Ps not saying you do!

23 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
38 minutes ago, Scosha said:
How long do we reckon the SG will keep up the social distancing and mask rules after England have canned them? 

They won't, or at least a large percentage will simply ignore them. They'll know that already though.

You're probably right. But my biggest gripe will come from the things I can't ignore. Face mask wearing at work, for example, will likely remain in law, and that obviously can't be pied.

Similarly, if they legislate for max group sizes / number of households in hospitality venues, there is literally no way around this.

I have no issue with recommending distancing etc where possible following the vaccine roll out, but i'm deeply against it being strictly enforced. If you want to keep 2m away from people, wear a mask, or avoid places where neither are likely, then crack on. Just don't expect everyone else to be forced to do the same, or be outraged about them not.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Even in any such nonsensical hypothetic example, I'm afraid we would just have to accept greater illness and death than the constant declines we have grown used to over the last decade or two.
That would certainly be the preferred option to this episode of Black Mirror we continue to 'live' through.
Much as I think the description I gave wasn't likely, in your scenario that simply wouldn't happen. Inadvertently you have hit upon the very scenario that would drive retaining measures ie hospital admissions and deaths at a level that would threaten the NHS. IF (and imo it's a massive IF) it did pan out that way there is no way we would "carry on regardless". The example given is a disaster scenario that would leave us under measures whether anyone liked it or not.

As I said I simply can't see it however it was posted in response to questions as to why measures might be needed after vaccination. That is the very worst case, nightmare scenario that could lead to that position. It's massively unlikely but not 100% impossible and I personally simply can't see it.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure Nicola Sturgeon is sitting in a corner crying after reading this.

Think she's already doing that in fear of Salmond ending her career.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Think she's already doing that in fear of Salmond ending her career.

It doesn’t surprise me that you’re that fucking thick.  Read it and weep.

BDD1F926-F98E-4429-89D5-14D9B19027EA.thumb.jpeg.a33f4f1e2f0e3a22b1ada7147244bbb1.jpeg

Edited by Granny Danger

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Much as I think the description I gave wasn't likely, in your scenario that simply wouldn't happen. Inadvertently you have hit upon the very scenario that would drive retaining measures ie hospital admissions and deaths at a level that would threaten the NHS. IF (and imo it's a massive IF) it did pan out that way there is no way we would "carry on regardless". The example given is a disaster scenario that would leave us under measures whether anyone liked it or not.

As I said I simply can't see it however it was posted in response to questions as to why measures might be needed after vaccination. That is the very worst case, nightmare scenario that could lead to that position. It's massively unlikely but not 100% impossible and I personally simply can't see it.

Health services are not going to be threatened with once-in-a-century pandemic waves every winter from now on because of Covid.