Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Hopefully makes Nicola kickback the date for schools. 

I hope they continue the phases approach, youngest classes first and the most vulnerable. And slowly reintroduce it, the routine testing will help as well.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

I hope they continue the phases approach, youngest classes first and the most vulnerable. And slowly reintroduce it, the routine testing will help as well.

I'd far rather they kicked it back a month but I've no kids to think about. 

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fucking hell, the cult are touchy this morning.

One minute they are falling over themselves to explain how NS couldn't possibly have locked down earlier because the WM furlough scheme wasn't in place, the next they are sneering at the idea that lockdown wouldn't be able to continue if it is removed.

Make your mind up 🤷🏻‍♂️

If someone put 50p in you I feel like this is one of the stock phrases we'd get.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Next Question, you haven't met your target, your a few shy....a day before the target ffs these c***s need shooting. Someone also needs to tell her that 100% is impossible given refusals and medical issues.

Crazy crazy stuff 100% of any group is a pipe dream, I'm actually amazed 99% have taken it up and been able to do so.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Crazy crazy stuff 100% of any group is a pipe dream, I'm actually amazed 99% have taken it up and been able to do so.

Depends how they're measuring it.  Is it 100% of that cohort full stop or is it 100% of that cohort who can have and who want the jag.

9 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'd far rather they kicked it back a month but I've no kids to think about. 

I don't get this attitude, as much as a few people on here moan, we all know that the first things the government will open up are schools before anything else so the quicker we can get the first step done  and hope it goes well then the quicker all the other restictions will be loosened and we can get back to normanl.

Edited by The Stig

16 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye with a few notable exceptions the standard of U.K. journalism is pitiful. Lazy sods mostly intent of generating click bait material from trawling the very worst of social media.

There’s plenty of good journalists in the UK.  Quite rightly none of them lower themselves to the drivel in mainstream newspapers. People just need to broaden their reading horizons.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'll go for optimistic. 

It's an interesting scenario at the moment. The Tories are far more push and pull with restrictions than an (ironically) hyper-conservative Scottish government. The political pressure to lift lockdown weighs heavier on Johnson (who is naturally opposed to restrictions) than it does on Sturgeon, who is naturally cautious in nature. 

Because of that, it would seem likely that it'll be Westminster who will be the first to announce an easing of lockdown. That will heap enormous pressure on Sturgeon to do the same in Scotland, especially when cases, and hospitalisation and death rates are well below the rest of the UK.

I don't know if we'll all be getting haircuts at the beginning of March. My gut feeling says that we're probably going to be stuck with a full lockdown for another 5 or 6 weeks. 

I desperately hope I'm wrong, but it seems that it's the zero covid fanatics who have the First Ministers ear just now, so she's quite happy to keep on quoting them as a reason to keep lockdown in place. 

I do understand your broad point, but we're currently looking at a situation where cautious NS is opening schools ahead of gung-ho BJ

10 minutes ago, The Stig said:

I don't get this attitude, as much as a few people on here moan, we all know that the first things the government will open up are schools before anything else so the quicker we can get the first step done  and hope it goes well then the quicker all the other restictions will be loosened and we can get back to normanl.

Or maybe the gaps between each step could be shortened considerably as we'll be starting from a far lower level. 

Would far rather have 10% increase 4 weeks later than plateau or worse for 4 weeks. 

Edited by ayrmad

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I wasn't paying full attention at the start of the briefing, did I hear that cases were around 900 and under the 5% again?

Yes. 

21 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

There’s plenty of good journalists in the UK.  Quite rightly none of them lower themselves to the drivel in mainstream newspapers. People just need to broaden their reading horizons.

Actually you are correct. There are plenty. Sadly our (my) life currently seems disproportionately impacted by the poorer quality press. 

I'm generally frustrated by how polarised and agenda driven much of our journalism is. Maybe it's always been that way but with 24 hour news it's possibly harder to ignore.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I don't know much about Captain Moore but it really seems like people are projecting onto him whatever they do or don't like in the world, it's really fascinating.

I think it is ultimately just funny that the UK venerating an old pensioner raising money for the creaking health system and the US being run as an even more
decrepit gerontocracy highlights that the two greatest democracies on the planet are playing the greatest hits of the Soviet Union without the full employment or a comprehensive welfare state