Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

tl;dr

Apologies, let me summarise.

What method of border control would you have implemented and scaled as necessary during the last 12 months working within the devolution constraints and obvious sensitivities around our Western border.

Schools probably should be one of the first things back, but given that school kids won't be vaccinated, schools are an environment rife for spreading the virus, opening them will probably send the R above 1 because of the new varient© and we just don't know if vaccines will stop the virus from being spread!!!  The jury is out for me here, Clive. 

Edited by Michael W

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Schools probably should be one of the first things back, but given that school kids won't be vaccinated, schools are an environment rife for spreading the virus, opening them will probably send the R above 1 because of the new varient© and we just don't know if vaccines will stop the virus from being spread!!!  The jury is out for me here, Clive. 

I don't see a problem making the weans do an extra year, basically staying on to 5th year. It's more about babysitting duties and low wages forcing the weans back.

20 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If that is the case then even the new estimates deadline will be a tough task to meet.

6 weeks to complete courses and assessments will be difficult in some subject areas.

Swinney's clowncar performance is the reason we are in this situation.

We could have had a lot of assessments completed if they had made the decision last summer.

It's going to end up being inferred results again.

We were discussing this today; it's starting to look in terms of timings like the kids grades will be based on a final exam after all. Just one that's administered and marked in school, rather than by the SQA. 

Given the government have moved holidays about, they should be moving the Easter break to a different time. Either later, to allow the period of 4-5 weeks we need to get through a return to school and prelim diet. Or earlier, to allow a good consecutive number of weeks after the break. It's a waste of time going back for a fortnight and then going off again.

45 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I’ve 2 kids. One at Uni and one in 6th year with an unconditional, so no respite needed here

However, school isn’t respite. It’s about giving kids a chance at a future. If that means I can’t have a week in Benidorm for a year, I’m cool with that.

It really shouldnt be a trade off, if the vaccine shows that it inhibits transmission, serious disease and death to the extent studies are showing then it doesnt need to be a ‘schools or benidorm’ type trade off. Ive not seen a single poster on here even suggest that it should be a thing. What people are calling for is a clear idea of the government’s plans and thats not unreasonable in the slightest, because we were promised ‘an adult conversation’ about the decisions being made which have caused significant harm. 
fwiw id rather never go abroad again if i had to go to benidorm. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It really shouldnt be a trade off, if the vaccine shows that it inhibits transmission, serious disease and death to the extent studies are showing then it doesnt need to be a ‘schools or benidorm’ type trade off. Ive not seen a single poster on here even suggest that it should be a thing. What people are calling for is a clear idea of the government’s plans and thats not unreasonable in the slightest, because we were promised ‘an adult conversation’ about the decisions being made which have caused significant harm. 
fwiw id rather never go abroad again if i had to go to benidorm. 

Have to be honest, I was due in Benidorm last May, Covid ain't all bad. 

We were discussing this today; it's starting to look in terms of timings like the kids grades will be based on a final exam after all. Just one that's administered and marked in school, rather than by the SQA. 
Given the government have moved holidays about, they should be moving the Easter break to a different time. Either later, to allow the period of 4-5 weeks we need to get through a return to school and prelim diet. Or earlier, to allow a good consecutive number of weeks after the break. It's a waste of time going back for a fortnight and then going off again.

If we are back for just 2 weeks you would imagine that a lot of schools would run some sort of Easter Study School for the two weeks of the holiday.

Guest TheJTS98

I think I've mentioned him before on this thread, but anyone looking for a good place to get regular and reasonable updates should give a listen to the Science With Luke podcast, featuring Luke O'Neill from Trinity College Dublin.

Comes out every few days, 20 minutes-ish each time, pretty balanced but with heavy doses of optimism, which will please many on here.

Even when he's giving relatively bad news, his voice keeps you cheerful anyway. The most recent edition clarifies a few things about mixed doses, the importance of vaccinating the world from a health and economic perspective, good news from India, and impact for pregnant women etc.

It's as good a source as I've found on the covid.

Should be 100% vaccination for all school staff and all kids tested if schools are going back. Anything else will just result in more lockdowns.

“Mah Caydens no taking the vaccine it cud hae deid bairns in it ken.”

9 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 hours ago, virginton said:
These. Are. Not. Mutually. Exclusive. Things. 
With a stack of perfectly fine vaccines in place, all of these restrictions can and should be progressively chucked in the bin between now and June. 

I fully agree but obsessing on foreign travel while you can't go for a haircut and have to wear a mask and queue to get in to buy a pint of milk seems a bit OTT. There's a lot if things we need to get sorted here first. It's bound to be phased and queuing for a pint of milk needs to GTF before a trip abroad for the vast majority of people.

Did you not go on a foreign holiday last year while we didn't have crowds at football and there were curfews on hospitality, amongst other restrictions?

Did you not go on a foreign holiday last year while we didn't have crowds at football and there were curfews on hospitality, amongst other restrictions?
As did tens of thousands more when it was fully permitted. It was a visit to family more but yes not an issue there. Different thing in lockdown .

No idea why folk think I'm anti foreign travel, nothing further from the truth. I have had umpteen trips and breaks cancelled or rolled over. I love travel but it's all about priorities and it's not that high up most folks list in comparison to some of the restrictions we are living under. It's beyond me that anyone thinks it's THE biggest issue we have right now.

Why is queuing for a pint of milk something we need to sort out? [emoji38]
Some folk have lost all perspective of life now.
You think queuing to get into a shop is now normal ffs it's you who has lost the plot. This is the issue folk begin to think these restrictions are ok, the norm. It most certainly isn't ok to queue to get into a supermarket or have non essential retail closed for months, be banned from travelling outside your LA area, have pubs and restaurants closed, schools closed, millions on furlough and all sports, concert etc spectating banned.

All these issues need to be resolved as does foreign travel but there has to be priorities.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

You think queuing to get into a shop is now normal ffs it's you who has lost the plot. This is the issue folk begin to think these restrictions are ok, the norm. It most certainly isn't ok to queue to get into a supermarket or have non essential retail closed for months, be banned from travelling outside your LA area, have pubs and restaurants closed, schools closed, millions on furlough and all sports, concert etc spectating banned.

All these issues need to be resolved as does foreign travel but there has to be priorities.

How often are people actually having to queue though? I don’t think I ever have and I’m not saying it isn’t happening but is it honestly not being a bit overblown as an issue?