Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

image.png.c95274b709904d1c2c786d988682d3c6.png

Pour one out for Poland!

And despite the cretinous PiS government, they've still managed to behave like adults in comparison to our plague island.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

So yeah, we can't rely on variants arising neatly in winter so need to be good to go with the tweaked vaccines at any time of the year

Which, like the flu, will be more likely observed in whichever hemisphere is currently in winter.

Seriously, even the people making the vaccines and updating them acknowledge that this is an issue, but it's not something that can't or won't be handled. Then of course there's the real and likely possibility that eventually SARS-CoV-2 will essentially become another strain of common cold, by which point there would largely be no need for ongoing vaccination.

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

No, but the best comparisons are the countries immediately around them.

Are they the best comparisons, though? Or are people so entrenched in maintaining they are the best (for best read "only") comparisons because the outcome is the one they want?

It also pays no notice to the fact the death rate in 2019 in Sweden was massively under the 5 year average, much more so than Denmark and Finland.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Using Catalonia as an example, the French make up the biggest nationality of foreign visitors at around 13%, followed by the Brits at around 11%, so while we would be a big loss it wouldn't be the end of the world for them that many over here seem to think.

I agree, I don't think it's going to be as simple as restrictions easing = European holidays back on.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Going by media reports the experts seem to think that a variant that reduces the protection from serious illness and the protection from transmission is possible. 

It's also possible I'll score the winner for Stranraer in this season's Scottish Cup final

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

As someone under the age of 60 who isn't obese, would I have preferred to be living in Sweden for the past 12 months, rather than here?

Absofuckinglutely. tfw.png

Obviously everyone would rather that (right up until a close friend or relative ends up in ICU).

I thought we should do shielding and leave it up people to assess their own risk initially but between people who treated it like the plague, folk who think it's fake and nihilist death wish pensioners it's clearly not possible in the UK to follow that strategy. 

20 minutes ago, madwullie said:

@Honest Saints FanFan @welshbairn

Just got another text saying I should have got my letter or will get it imminently. 

Either NS reads P&B or they're aware they've made guarantees and want to look like they're keeping them. Expect mine by Monday at the latest now. 

I'm still waiting. I know the GP is doing the vaccine for the vulnerable here and only at weekends. They give very little notice as they don't know the amount of vaccine they'll get until the day before so hopefully I'll get a call tomorrow. If not, I'll be straight onto Nicky.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I'm still waiting. I know the GP is doing the vaccine for the vulnerable here and only at weekends. They give very little notice as they don't know the amount of vaccine they'll get until the day before so hopefully I'll get a call tomorrow. If not, I'll be straight onto Nicky.

It'll come. My auld man who is housebound got a phone call on Tuesday, the nurse vaccinated him yesterday, and he already has an appointment for the 2nd jag on 21st April.

Someone I know in the army outed him as a bit of an old fraud over the summer...using the rank of retired captain in civilian life is a bit sketchy in itself, as lieutenant and captain are basically the baby officer ranks and you're not entitled to use them after you leave. It's not strictly illegal, but it's certainly frowned upon. Add in the fact he seems to have left as only an acting captain meaning that he would have reverted to his permanent rank (lieutenant) on leaving and thus it also very much looks like he was bullshitting about what rank he actually was for 70+ years...
Despite the lip service hero worship they were forced to show to the public, from what I was told the actual army of today pretty much had the measure of him - he was described to me as a bit of an old walt...had to ask what that meant, and it's apparently an army term for ex-services pub bore types who exaggerate what they got up to and how important they were...the ex-army cook who claims to have been in the SAS type of thing...it's apparently short for Walter Mitty.

You've described [mention=8416]Oaksoft[/mention] there.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Look mate, destroying the lives of younger people doesn't matter if it means the over 80s can squeeze out another year or two.

Im all for locking down to get a grip on it, but in perspective my wee boy has now lived over a third of his life in lockdown, my wee niece her entire life. I do think we’re at the stage where its still reasonable to be locked down until the vaccines reach the most vulnerable.

We sorted and paid for childcare during the main lockdown to keep the wee man stimulated and learning, but I cant help but think for kids of loads of ages its not just schools and nurseries being shut that will be harmful, the development they get from their wee football clubs, interacting with other kids and going to museums etc that are all closed. But this argument that we need to absolutely shit ourselves forever more incase ‘mutations’ is unacceptable. There needs to come a point where the balance is tipped and its quickly approaching. 

Looks like GG&C may be rolling in the vaccine with visits to docs, the MiL who was shielding hadn't had her letter but was called by her Docs to confirm bloods to be done tomorrow and was invited to have her jag at the same time.

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Boris Johnson could have honoured Captain Sir Tom Moore by funding hospitals – he decided to clap instead

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/captain-tom-moore-clap-boris-johnson-nhs-b1797735.html

Captain Tom was almost definitely a lifelong Tory so making grand but ultimately empty gestures while continuing the immiseration and asset stripping of public assets in the background is as perfect a tribute to his beliefs as anyone could've made.