Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Why would it run riot when people have previously been vaccinated and a level of immunity has been built up amongst the population, either through vaccination or exposure to current strains?

You're (hypothetically) talking about a new strain. It wouldn't be a completely new virus.

Going by media reports the experts seem to think that a variant that reduces the protection from serious illness and the protection from transmission is possible. 

48 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Mexico, for example, is open for tourists right now.

Are you suggesting that not travelling to Mexico, and therefore putting Mexican tourism workers' jobs at risk, is less selfish than travelling to Mexico and following their current covid legislation?

It's an interesting take, i'll give you that.

If our government, and those of the other wealthy countries, weren't such c***s. Then every country could open hack up at the same time. Not disadvantaging anyone. So in short. Yes.

41 minutes ago, 101 said:

We are a third country now though, it wouldn't blow me away if some bright spark in the EU suggests free movement within the bloc. Don't know how much UK tourism makes up of tourism overall, I would imagine it's the majority of Spain's tourism who will be keen to have the country open.

Using Catalonia as an example, the French make up the biggest nationality of foreign visitors at around 13%, followed by the Brits at around 11%, so while we would be a big loss it wouldn't be the end of the world for them that many over here seem to think.

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'm starting to think some people are just too used to lock downs and restrictions now almost like a kind of institutionalised mental state of mind, with a fear of the world opening up again. Surely can't be healthy.

My missus was saying the other night that she wouldn't be surprised if some people end up with full-blown PTSD when it all blows over. I suspect normality when it returns will have a few tweaks - for instance when walking into a pub, we all have our own threshold for "f**k it, this place is stowed - we'll go somewhere else..." and I imagine at least initially that'll be a good bit lower for most people than it was before - but like with any other learned behaviour, it'll gradually fade away over time.

Some things that were a pain in the arse before like that annoying guy that grabs your arm every time he's speaking to you or the space invader that gradually edges closer and closer over the course of a conversation are hopefully gone forever...they're certainly more likely to be challenged over what they're doing than they were before.

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

My missus was saying the other night that she wouldn't be surprised if some people end up with full-blown PTSD when it all blows over. I suspect normality when it returns will have a few tweaks - for instance when walking into a pub, we all have our own threshold for "f**k it, this place is stowed - we'll go somewhere else..." and I imagine at least initially that'll be a good bit lower for most people than it was before - but like with any other learned behaviour, it'll gradually fade away over time.

Some things that were a pain in the arse before like that annoying guy that grabs your arm every time he's speaking to you or the space invader that gradually edges closer and closer over the course of a conversation are hopefully gone forever...they're certainly more likely to be challenged over what they're doing than they were before.

Jakeball guy breathing down your neck at the puggie trying to force you to take your nudges. Anything that lowers the likelihood of that happening is all right in my book 👍 

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Using Catalonia as an example, the French make up the biggest nationality of foreign visitors at around 13%, followed by the Brits at around 11%, so while we would be a big loss it wouldn't be the end of the world for them that many over here seem to think.

Given that there is a busy land border between Catalonia and France I think it shows a huge number of British people travel there and likely spend more than the French. 

It's as if Scotland had comparable numbers of English and French visitors every year. 

Edited by Detournement

6 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

If our government, and those of the other wealthy countries, weren't such c***s. Then every country could open hack up at the same time. Not disadvantaging anyone. So in short. Yes.

Are you seriously suggesting it should be government policy that we stop vaccinations and proceed at the same pace as countries like Australia who aren’t even starting vaccinations this year?  Genuinely just hand over all our vaccines to South America, Africa etc and we’ll sit indoors with a further tanking economy, rising unemployment and mental health issues.

you’re unhinged.

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Yes, I'm also sure children will have become indoctrinated into the social distancing and there will also be some adults who'll get all flustered over people entering their "safe space", although to be fair this sort of bizarre behaviour had already surfaced prior to the pandemic.

No doubt quite a few barneys  / shouting matches will be the result.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The new variant potentially renders the older vaccine redundant.

Even if it is only the vulnerable who need a new vaccine that would still require a significant lockdown.

If holidays greatly raise the probability of another lockdown then they will be off the agenda. Some people might love watching the telly for 49 weeks of the year plus a couple of holidays abroad. so aren't bothered but I'd rather get back to normal within the UK.

You can choose to do whatever you want, but the rest of the world will move on without you. 

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Jakeball guy breathing down your neck at the puggie trying to force you to take your nudges. Anything that lowers the likelihood of that happening is all right in my book 👍 

Do you still "let them spin" after a flashing hold on a losing pair on the 2nd and 3rd reels following nudges ??

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

If a booster is required, it's not instantaneous for it to be in however million vulnerable arms. 

Say 3/4 weeks from conception to actually starting to be mass produced. Then we have to have a system ready up and running to stick it in the arms that can go from 0-60 in no tine. That doesn't happen in a day either. Is 8 weeks to do the same amount of people who get the flu vaccine too long? 

The flu virus hits with seasonal predictability. As far as I can see, CV isn't particularly seasonal - does this not mean the variants can arise at any time. Again, not insurmountable, we just need to be ready to go at any moment.

lol wut

52 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/04/about-4000-covid-variants-across-world-uk-minister

30-40 days to create a vaccine for a new variant then manufacturing and roll out time. So very much best case 12 weeks best case scenario assuming a single jag.

That someone is seriously trying to spin a twelve week turnaround time on the creation of a new vaccine as 'really bad news - hide under the duvet time' rather than an absolutely crushing leap forward for medical science sums up early 2021 in a nutshell. A large portion of the population has been quite simply gaslighted by zero Covid fantasists and wall to wall coverage of ICUs. 

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I'm also sure children will have become indoctrinated into the social distancing and there will also be some adults who'll get all flustered over people entering their "safe space", although to be fair this sort of bizarre behaviour had already surfaced prior to the pandemic.

No doubt quite a few barneys  / shouting matches will be the result.

Yeah, I can see people being a bit on edge in social situations at least initially, and there will be some behaviours that we barely tolerated before that we probably won't from now on. Must admit, I'll probably personally stay away from pubs for the first few weeks after they reopen, not through fear but more through the knowledge that there's a lot of people with a lot of steam to blow off and many places are likely to be carnage initially.