ICTChris

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, s_dog said:
So if the vaccination program isn't as successful as hoped (assuming that's what you're getting at), what's your solution?

Keeping everyone under restrictions forever is not a viable solution whichever way this pans out.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

So forgive me for saying that yes, the vaccines must lead to a radically different outcome. Because if it they themselves reckon it doesn't, then what were they doing fucking about with their thumbs up their collective arses all of 2020 when people were questioning what their plan B would be if a vaccine didn't happen or didn't work?

I don't really have a clue what plan b should be, nor do I think everyone should be kept under restrictions forever. I think that these scientists, advisors etc are pretty much like most of us, they're pinning their hopes on the vaccines working as planned, and beyond that, they'll keep doing what they've being doing up until now, reacting and scrambling about because the whole point is no one knows of a quick & easy answer of how to fix it. The fact they basically sat all summer and warned of a possible second wave in winter and did nothing but wait for vaccines is a perfect example of that.

We may well end up with vaccinations every year while the pandemic runs its course and  have no choice but to live with a certain amount of illness & death from it until it does. Hopefully not, and the vaccines will work and like you say, we'll  be left with something that is at least no more deadly than the flu. But the point is, how can you or anyone else on here, some random people on a football forum, be so absolutely certain about what is going to happen?

Remember, situations like we’re in at the moment (where we just really need to sit tight) are totally incompatible with 24/7 rolling news, Twitter and our general need for instant gratification.

Today is a prime example - one study came out this morning (which was plastered all over the place) suggesting numbers were ticking up in January. By lunchtime, they’d rolled back on it and added the context and heavily caveated it. By then it was too late, the more anxious amongst us would’ve freaked out and now the rest of the day is spent trying to contextualise it - the same thing happened this week with the Pfizer/Israel story where half complete data was plastered everywhere with a negative headline, and it took hours for proper analysis to be done and for things to be contextualised.

Unless the government are sitting on something we don’t know about, nothing has really changed, the vaccines  are still a hit hot at preventing severe disease and likely preventing transmission to some extent. Even if the targets are missed it’ll probably be by a week or two the way things are going. I’m not seeing anything obvious or logical which makes spring seem like an unrealistic target for things to really look a lot better.

Media seem to be having a major downer on everything today based on not much, the emotional rollercoaster they seem intent on taking folk on is nonsense.

The Conservative Covid recovery group have said that if the vaccination targets are met then lockdown should be lifted three weeks later. Current target is for February 15th which going by this groups targets would see measures loosened on March 8th.

This group is a group of backbench Tory MPs rather than any official government or political body.

Just now, ICTChris said:

The Conservative Covid recovery group have said that if the vaccination targets are met then lockdown should be lifted two weeks later. Current target is for February 15th.

Of this year?

2 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Remember, situations like we’re in at the moment (where we just really need to sit tight) are totally incompatible with 24/7 rolling news, Twitter and our general need for instant gratification.

Today is a prime example - one study came out this morning (which was plastered all over the place) suggesting numbers were ticking up in January. By lunchtime, they’d rolled back on it and added the context and heavily caveated it. By then it was too late, the more anxious amongst us would’ve freaked out and now the rest of the day is spent trying to contextualise it - the same thing happened this week with the Pfizer/Israel story where half complete data was plastered everywhere with a negative headline, and it took hours for proper analysis to be done and for things to be contextualised.

Unless the government are sitting on something we don’t know about, nothing has really changed, the vaccines  are still a hit hot at preventing severe disease and likely preventing transmission to some extent. Even if the targets are missed it’ll probably be by a week or two the way things are going. I’m not seeing anything obvious or logical which makes spring seem like an unrealistic target for things to really look a lot better.

Media seem to be having a major downer on everything today based on not much, the emotional rollercoaster they seem intent on taking folk on is nonsense.

The BBC 6 o'clock news had an overhead shot of a grave being dug in some London cemetery. 

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Conservative Covid recovery group have said that if the vaccination targets are met then lockdown should be lifted two weeks later. Current target is for February 15th.

Restrictions completely lifted or back into the Tiers? 

7 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Restrictions completely lifted or back into the Tiers? 

I'd say tiers/Levels rather than completely  lifted as much as I'd love it to be the latter option.

If having to remain in this lockdown for a few more months means never having to do it again then I can live with that

Aye, a few more months of folk locked up in their homes and a huge swathe of the economy totally buggered won't do any harm at all. This acceptance that we will need to be in full lockdown until April/May is absolutely ludicrous.

I never knew until tonight that Sridhar is American.

Does that make me dislike her more now? Well sorry to say I think it does. I am who I am.

I haven't checked so I don't know, but what are total all cause mortality figures like for the UK in 2020 vs the likes of Europe, the US etc?
It's obvious our response was not good, but with everyone counting what constitues a Covid death differently, looking at that number alone won't be a fair comparison to determine just how bad it was.
I don't often agree with you but you are right here. It's also a reality that the way excess deaths is calculated is different from country as well.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Conservative Covid recovery group have said that if the vaccination targets are met then lockdown should be lifted three weeks later. Current target is for February 15th which going by this groups targets would see measures loosened on March 8th.

This group is a group of backbench Tory MPs rather than any official government or political body.

It really has been a bizarre time when I have felt more aligned with Conservative Brexiteers at least appearing to fight to return our civil liberties, rather than so-called 'progressives', for quite some time now in this pandemic.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Easter ? The article say 5 March.

"might" last till Easter.

But ministers were also told that restrictions may have to remain in place until after the Easter holidays.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Aye, a few more months of folk locked up in their homes and a huge swathe of the economy totally buggered won't do any harm at all. This acceptance that we will need to be in full lockdown until April/May is absolutely ludicrous.
We're in lockdown because the hospitals are fucked. We've been told that isn't going to improve for several weeks which takes us well into February. Slow improvement from there will hopefully see us starting to open up by the middle of March/beginning of April. To open up any sooner would be ludicrous

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It really has been a bizarre time when I have felt more aligned with Conservative Brexiteers at least appearing to fight to return our civil liberties, rather than so-called 'progressives', for quite some time now in this pandemic.

Get out and guard some statues to take your mind off of it

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Get out and guard some statues to take your mind off of it

MISSUS BUNFIELD

28 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's part of their overall "small government" agenda.

it's fucked up that people don't need to wear a mask in the shops.
That's probably a huge indication of why covid is so bad.

Everybody keeps going on about masks but remember we got the first wave down to single figures mostly without them

We're in lockdown because the hospitals are fucked. We've been told that isn't going to improve for several weeks which takes us well into February. Slow improvement from there will hopefully see us starting to open up by the middle of March/beginning of April. To open up any sooner would be ludicrous
This is all very well to be cautious and slowly open things up but unless the support for small business and their employees improves then its going to come at a greater cost. A month here or there may not seem much but you have businesses that have either been closed or running at vastly reduced levels for 14 months by the time the end of April comes around.

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

I don't really have a clue what plan b should be, nor do I think everyone should be kept under restrictions forever. I think that these scientists, advisors etc are pretty much like most of us, they're pinning their hopes on the vaccines working as planned, and beyond that, they'll keep doing what they've being doing up until now, reacting and scrambling about because the whole point is no one knows of a quick & easy answer of how to fix it. The fact they basically sat all summer and warned of a possible second wave in winter and did nothing but wait for vaccines is a perfect example of that.

We may well end up with vaccinations every year while the pandemic runs its course and  have no choice but to live with a certain amount of illness & death from it until it does. Hopefully not, and the vaccines will work and like you say, we'll  be left with something that is at least no more deadly than the flu. But the point is, how can you or anyone else on here, some random people on a football forum, be so absolutely certain about what is going to happen?

Why would vaccines not "work as planned"? They have passed all required clinical trials.