Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

TUI have a few grand of mine.  No point asking for it back and causing them more issues.  I want a holiday when this ends.  Not sure how ATOL protection works with vouchers though.

It doesn't 😬

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
There is no way on earth that overseas flights would be banned from Scotland but not England while the Scotland / England border remained open, that's neither possible nor indeed likely in any type of scenario, hypothetical or not.

I don't think flights are being "banned". Quarantine has never stopped Ryanair for example flying. It stops the holiday firms like Tui and Jet2 as they have customer charters offering refunds in those circumstances but some flights will operate enforced quarantine or not.

There are no reasonable grounds to enforce quarantine for vaccinated people this summer. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There are no reasonable grounds to enforce quarantine for vaccinated people this summer. 

I doubt i'll be vaccinated by then tbf, so if I want to plan anything in the medium term rather than wait till last minute, i'd have to do so based on the ludicrous nanny state BS coming from Scotgov

Had my flights to Montenegro in May cancelled a couple of nights ago, but curiously the hotel booking itself (even though it was a package) seemed to still be live. Schedule has been scrubbed until June.

Thankfully, this meant that a refund was due. Couldn't be arsed with an ongoing game of lift and shift whenever restrictions change so took the refund.

44 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Someone needs to tell Jet2 that 2021 is a goner. This was their mail drop a few your a go....2022 !Screenshot_20210202-222546_Outlook.jpeg

it might still be possible but working in travel we always sell at least 18 months in advance, especially for family groups who need to plan and may need to use a savings plan to pay for their trip.

We will have 2023 on sale in the next few months, it puts the pressure on those who book to come to the hotel each year to book as they know we sell out each year and there is a danger they will miss out.

I cannot see anything wrong with them advertising a little in advance.

ATOL doesn’t cover vouchers.  Rishi will pony up instead.  God bless the British taxpayer.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/07/refund-credit-notes-for-holidays-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus-no/
I assume it was issued between the dates given?

There will be a lot of people who may have taken them when holidays to Turkey were cancelled in October - they won't be covered.

4 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

it might still be possible but working in travel we always sell at least 18 months in advance, especially for family groups who need to plan and may need to use a savings plan to pay for their trip.

We will have 2023 on sale in the next few months, it puts the pressure on those who book to come to the hotel each year to book as they know we sell out each year and there is a danger they will miss out.

I cannot see anything wrong with them advertising a little in advance.

Was going to say this. I usually book Florida flights well over a year in advance if available as I book everything separately, much to my own downfall as the last ever Thomas Cook flight into Glasgow in 2019 was supposed to be firing back out 5 hours later with me on it and of course, never left.

Was some going getting flights to Miami via Heathrow for the next day booked and driving up to Orlando from there - try selling that to a family of 7 folk. :lol: 

@Bairnardo, this is the thread I've finally re-stumbled on from the other day that describes the urgency and process for tweaking vaccines. It wasn't a video after all.

It's v technical and miles beyond my in general, although I do get the gist - the bit about it not being an instantaneous process is in about tweet 17 onwards, but the rest is worth trying to get your head around. (c**t doesn't number his tweets, so will be amongst the first against the wall when I take charge) 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Was going to say this. I usually book Florida flights well over a year in advance if available as I book everything separately, much to my own downfall as the last ever Thomas Cook flight into Glasgow in 2019 was supposed to be firing back out 5 hours later with me on it and of course, never left.

Was some going getting flights to Miami via Heathrow for the next day booked and driving up to Orlando from there - try selling that to a family of 7 folk. :lol: 

Exactly

I do the same for Scotland games but do leave it late, but its just me and a mate 

Big groups need a lot of planning , we sold most of our 2021 rooms in 2020 and all the requests just now are for 2022 and 2023 (a few for Christmas this year)

Out of interest......In the foreseeable scenario that England open up reciprocal quarantine free travel with a few countries for summer, and Scotland do not, how many of you would be prepared to take a holiday by flying from/to England?
Lets assume for the exercise that its July, and everyone over 50 is vaccinated. Nicola Sturgeon has told Scots they should not be doing this.

I would.
I wouldn't. I'm a lazy c**t and couldn't be arsed with the journey down for the outgoing flight or the return leg[emoji23][emoji23]

I'd see absolutely nothing wrong with people doing it though.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Out of interest......In the foreseeable scenario that England open up reciprocal quarantine free travel with a few countries for summer, and Scotland do not, how many of you would be prepared to take a holiday by flying from/to England?

Lets assume for the exercise that its July, and everyone over 50 is vaccinated. Nicola Sturgeon has told Scots they should not be doing this.

I would.

Without a doubt. Though as others have said, I just don't see how it would be a tenable position for the Scottish Government.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

More deaths in the second wave now than the first.  That’s criminal levels of incompetence from all concerned.

Not that I'm defending any government, but is it really much of a surprise? It's winter during the worst pandemic for a century. The whole northern hemisphere is being battered.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
100%
Newcastle / Manchester are not that far away.

Where is this opening up coming from. I saw Hancock and Johnson mention "holidays" but no mention of them being abroad. Have I missed something ?

They have both been saying they're more optimistic in the past couple of days. I know, I know...

10 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Exactly

I do the same for Scotland games but do leave it late, but its just me and a mate 

Big groups need a lot of planning , we sold most of our 2021 rooms in 2020 and all the requests just now are for 2022 and 2023 (a few for Christmas this year)

Yeah, I was planning on Orlando in September or October this year before it all hit but made the decision very early doors (like May last year) that it was a no-go due to a few factors. Mainly everyone and their granny who got cancelled in 2020 will be wanting to go and I don't fancy that level of crowd. Also, I'm outright refusing to go into that humidity and wear a mask all day in a theme park. No chance.

So I'm now planning on September 2022 at the earliest, possibly as late as March or May 2023. Extend it out to 3 weeks and that will let us hit the Florida Keys for a week too.

I'll book closer to home until then (Europe or Canaries) if circumstances allow us to go away without any fuss or risks of travel corridors or any of that pish.