Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The return of some Senior pupils to do practical assessments may be unrealistic - 5-8% of the school roll maximum at a time.

Pupils cannot just return straight into assessments - there will be need to be preparation as well due to the mixed engagement by pupils during lockdown. I can imagine that in some schools that offer a practical-heavy timetable that this will be an issue.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:
6 minutes ago, super_carson said:
So, careful and gradual easing of restrictions possibly at the start of March.
Any predictions?
I reckon the level system will get binned, so start of March will probably be schools and maybe non-essential retail.  I can't see it being a return to level 3, despite places like Edinburgh being in a constant decline of cases and already at level 2 numbers.  I'd love to be wrong, of course, but it just doesn't fit with this overly cautious tone from NS and the SG.
Glad there has been acknowledgement about the poor speed of vaccinations, and if they turn it around from here then I'll temper my criticisms of it.  Hopefully they have an impact to accelerate the decline of folk getting sick.  

I can see everywhere going down the tiers together rather than it being regionalised as it was before. Harsh on some areas but probably the easiest way to do things.

Possibly - or perhaps the criteria for each level might change.  

I could handle level 3 for a good few weeks - being able to go to the gym and go out for lunch/early dinner would be a pleasant change - but that's from a purely selfish point of view.   

3 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Don’t have the press conference on but does “senior pupils” just mean those at high school? What about p4-p7 children? 

All I’ve read is p1-3 will return full time and “senior pupils”  part time. 

She meant secondary school, as she also said it's to complete practical work for their qualifications. I guess that means it will only be art, music, PE, drama?

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Like i mentioned earlier, NS "looking at" the vaccine numbers isn't going to magically speed anything up anytime soon.

Vaccine appointments up until at least the end of next week are already scheduled.

They have a stated target of 400k per week (a perfectly acceptable number), but the reality is they aren't planning on getting to that point until the end of February.

Do we know if that 400k includes second jabs?  

She meant secondary school, as she also said it's to complete practical work for their qualifications. I guess that means it will only be art, music, PE, drama?

Tech, Graphic Communication, maybe some of the science classes?

Cant think of any others beyond that.

New Zealand have had 25 dead in total. Iceland 29. Singapore, a fucking travel hub for the whole of Asia, has 29. Thailand, 79. There are plenty of examples of countries who took a drastic approach to begin with to protect their vulnerable. We literally sent them back home with a virus we knew would kill them. 
As a matter if interest, do all countries count Covid deaths the same as the UK? Ie tested positive in the previous 28 days, regardless of actually cause of death?

Not an excuse, just interested.

Admin & IT, Computing, Modern Languages and CDT courses as well.

We are not allowed to assess remotely - it has to be done under exam conditions.

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Tech, Graphic Communication, maybe some of the science classes?

Cant think of any others beyond that.

In Science our practical work was binned this year. No assignments or projects. Yes, tech/graph comm would be in as well.

6 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Possibly - or perhaps the criteria for each level might change.  

I could handle level 3 for a good few weeks - being able to go to the gym and go out for lunch/early dinner would be a pleasant change - but that's from a purely selfish point of view.   

Personally i'd prefer they binned the curfew nonsense for hospitality. If it's ok to go out for a meal, then it's ok to A go at dinner time, and B have wine / beer with your food.

Pubs operating as pubs, can be in a lower tier if need be, but the time limit nonsense was ridiculous really.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Well, if Sturgeon doesn't set out plans for scrapping the pointless quarantine before the election, that's two SNP votes gone for good.

No one will be admitting uk nationals without quarantine by May, absolutely no chance so uk will be no different to anywhere else. That's a totally unrealistic timescale for unrestricted overseas travel

I don't mean it has to be lifted by May, but a clear plan set out for it being scrapped. The EU she claims her party wants to rejoin will be leaving quarantine requirements behind by this summer.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Probably has an impact on travel restrictions for a start i.e. being vaccinated won't necessarily give you the right to go about other countries.

Also closer to home they don't want people who are vaccinated now assuming they can't transmit the disease and breaking rules.

Countries across Europe are already making moves that allow vaccinated individuals to travel without quarantine requirements.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

As a matter if interest, do all countries count Covid deaths the same as the UK? Ie tested positive in the previous 28 days, regardless of actually cause of death?

Not an excuse, just interested.

I highly doubt they do but I also doubt the differences in counting are enough to explain the additional 7,900 deaths we have over these countries. 

27 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Are we looking at death and hospitalisation numbers dropping off a decent amount in the next fortnight? Case numbers looking much better than they did a month ago.

Sounds like we will be shut in the house for February but getting some things open in March.

That was the chat earlier in the month when they predicted the peak in hospitalisations 🤞 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Personally i'd prefer they binned the curfew nonsense for hospitality. If it's ok to go out for a meal, then it's ok to A go at dinner time, and B have wine / beer with your food.

That's where my selfishness comes in, I've been sober for 5 years.  Although I do take your point, some of the restrictions on businesses are so severe there is no point in them being open.  

While unpopular, I can almost see the sense in the alcohol ban as it that could affect behaviour with regards to social distancing etc. (could and almost are doing some heavy lifting in that sentence) but the curfew doesn't make sense.  It's not as if you're more susceptible to covid after 6pm - especially if alcohol is removed as a factor.  

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I don't mean it has to be lifted by May, but a clear plan set out for it being scrapped. The EU she claims her party wants to rejoin will be leaving quarantine requirements behind by this summer.

Countries across Europe are already making moves that allow vaccinated individuals to travel without quarantine requirements.

To be fair to NS, she did say "until we are in a position to lift travel restrictions" which suggests they are not indefinite.

I'm not too concerned about travel restrictions at the minute. I'll hold my concern for if the tune is the same as we approach summer against a back drop of increased vaccination and decreasing cases, hospitalisations, deaths, and restrictions elsewhere.

I agree that a plan is required, though.

I highly doubt they do but I also doubt the differences in counting are enough to explain the additional 7,900 deaths we have over these countries. 
Just asking the question. Comparisons are largely useless if there 101 different measurements.