Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

So the 'Kent variant' has now also picked up the same mutation as the SA one which according to the BBC is a WORRYING NEW CHANGE.

Love the play by play on virus mutations we're getting.

Clearly, the answer is to close the borders to stop these new variants and mutations from getting in.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

It’s literally a five minute walk from a bus stop at the bottom of the town with a massive car park. The most vulnerable have been vaccinated at local surgeries, to ramp things up larger venues are needed. 

There is plenty to criticise but this isn’t one of them. 

And larger venues local to people would have been far better, 10 months and we choose a place that isn't handy for most of the local population. 

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

If you don't mind wee effie and her chums piling onto buses with a decent walk at either end. 

"Hey Effie would you like this potentially life saving vaccine?"

"Aye, where is it?"

"The Citadel, you'll have to walk a few hundred yards from the bus stop"

"Naw thanks, I'd rather die"

Just now, ayrmad said:

And larger venues local to people would have been far better, 10 months and we choose a place that isn't handy for most of the local population. 

This is utter nonsense. It’s right next to the town centre, and is in an ideal location. It is Ayr, not a large city - every person attending will be very close to it. 

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

really? you'd have thought everyone there had died given the way the government go on about the VARIENT

Maybe they have, so the SA variant packed it's bags and decided to try it's luck in the UK?  It's currently living in a one bedroom flat in Welwyn Garden City.

6 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

really? you'd have thought everyone there had died given the way the government go on about the VARIENT

The alcohol ban has been on and off like a light switch, seems a huge proportion of general hospitalisations are a result of some alcohol related injury/illness. Their Govt must be confident it's under control as they've been so strict with the likes of the alcohol ban to reduce strain on hospitals. 

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

"Hey Effie would you like this potentially life saving vaccine?"

"Aye, where is it?"

"The Citadel, you'll have to walk a few hundred yards from the bus stop"

"Naw thanks, I'd rather die"

"Effie would you prefer two walks and a needless bus journey or a wee walk round to that lovely big schoolfor your vaccine" 

"I'll just go to the school as I've not used the bus for needless journeys in such a long time. 

14 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Captain Sir Major Lord Tom's family is with him on hospital.

I assume this means his prognosis is not good but I can't rule out his daughter working on some other grift.

Maybe that trip to Barbados when the rest of us weren't supposed to be travelling, doesn't seem like such a good idea now ???

14 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

This is a good point and it's weird how we only seem to get the negative side of the dreaded "variant" as opposed to,

It's not unexpected that new variants have developed - all viruses mutate as they make new copies of themselves to spread and thrive.

Most of these differences are inconsequential. A few can even be harmful to the virus's survival. But some can make it more infectious or threatening.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

"Effie would you prefer two walks and a needless bus journey or a wee walk round to that lovely big schoolfor your vaccine" 

"I'll just go to the school as I've not used the bus for needless journeys in such a long time. 

The schools that have children and staff in them?!

Also, spreading out our vaccination centres will also be far more time consuming. As I already said, local GP’s are doing the most vulnerable people. 

Edited by No_Problemo

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Steven W said:
Should spice this thead up a bit again

You know the script already. Folk in here screaming for details of relaxation of measures in Feb. SG announces 1st relaxation on 2 Feb ie phased school return and same people will scream that it's not their preferred relaxation despite it being crystal clear from the get go that schools returning would be the first easing. They can't win in the eyes of a good few in here now. It's got stupidly entrenched.

They 'can't win' if they continue to double down on terrible control policies and rollout strategies that have failed. They absolutely can win by no longer fannying around with vaccinations and by following objective reality in not opening community infection factories, rather than crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Schools going back isn't themselves an issue. It's the constant references to them being safe that irks people. Along with the likes of Sridhar wanting them open at the same time as pushing #ZeroCovid nonsense.

If the SG came out and said that they knew schools being open had a negative impact on the R rate, but it was a risk they feel is acceptable then it wouldn't be an issue. They never will, though.

No, it absolutely is an issue because its impact on the R rate is so significant that it would punt the whole of society into weeks if not months of needless restrictions. This would not be an 'acceptable risk' but rather a politically convenient decision that would have a net negative consequence for society and the economy.

Schools should be integrated into the tiers system and not opened while there is widespread community transmission in an area. Treating them as a special case has directly led us into this lockdown and will massively hinder our route out of it.

Edited by vikingTON

14 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Captain Sir Major Lord Tom's family is with him on hospital.

I assume this means his prognosis is not good but I can't rule out his daughter working on some other grift.

At least this way the daughter can’t claim hospital are treating him etc etc. She’s there and seeing what’s being done. 

The thing is, they have said that.

Nicola Sturgeon stood up at one of the briefings and specifically said it was a balance of risks. Swinney has also said the same.
Swinney also contradicted himself by saying schools were safe.

As I pointed out at the time you can never say they are safe - you can only say there is a risk but that it is a risk worth taking.

So if it indeed turns out that the mutation seen in South Africa is beginning to arise independently from the Kent one - i.e. because it is naturally beneficial to the virus, then we can therefore conclude border restrictions to 'keep them out' are largely a nonsense as this will happen regardless.

Edited by Elixir