Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Business to Business, so people who are raging at us know why we cant supply them as they are shop owners themselves & understand the supply chain yet it is somehow our fault personally. We ordered 3k loaves yesterday & we got 1.2k, we are fucking useless because Warbys & Allied Bakeries shorted us. I understand why they did but according to our customers this is somehow our fault.

Thanks for clearing up. They are possibly just looking at someone to vent their frustrations at and you are their go to person. At times of high stress, reasoning and common sense goes out the window with people.

What year is your wife in? In some hospitals they are taking out the 3rd year students and putting them through as qualified if they feel confident enough to help with the staffing. I was under the impression all other students were being withdrawn for the time being.

First year and nope, they got an update today. Correct about the 3rd years though who can ‘opt’ to continue their last few months as a clinical placement and get paid a band 4 wage (band 5 for being qualified). Medics taken out by the GMC, nurses to stay in placement for the time being.

She had a fever and a lot of aches and pains Monday night and I now feel like shit tonight so both self isolating just in case. Indication is she’ll be expected to still make up her placement hours from being off this week and had to put it in as a normal absence which feels beyond ridiculous in the circumstances.

Do you find yourself at an opposite end of things from the nhs with things like this? The nhs get a lot of praise and goodwill from the public at times like these (beast from the east, this and in general) whereas i imagine workers like yourself and g-man get a lot of shit and abuse for only trying to do your job and serve the public.
Verbal abuse most days.
A few customers crying.

Good times

2 hours ago, yoda said:

You're not doing it in this post but there's a lot of similar takes on social media which are going down a similar road, and it's proper jose.png material.

I'm sure it is comforting for folk, and there's obviously a conversation to be had about a greener society/economy, but, at the same time, read the mood. Tens of thousands will die and there's going to be immense, probably unprecedented, socioeconomic damage that will have detrimental long-run effects on a large chunk of the population. But, on the other hand, the birds are singing.

Also lol @ all this heartwarming reclamation of nature being doubly wiped out as soon as the economies get back on track and make up for lost time.

The European nations playing a blinder here, Italys performance is spectacular and they know how to play the game when it matters, certainly on 'away goals' they are gubbing China, it remains to be seen if they can overall the massive points tally that China have amassed. The US have huge potential and the the UK seem to be trying hard to fumble themselves into a medal position.  The UK will surely try to finish the job Japan failed to do by silencing the Abels. Will that Chunt be posting on You tube about the poor service and support he gets from the UK now?

In Asia, South Koreas challenge seems over with too much of a pragmatic and practical approach, much like Japan and Singapore.  Singapore have now brought out a contact tracing app for all their citizens, which will allow contact tracing of any infected person in minutes, allowing for a faster response and hopefully containment of any potential clusters. As yet Singapore has still not had the need to go to the highest alert level.

Malaysia bring a movement control order to try and stem any possible increase and the government have to warn the locals to comply. Indonesia, their attempts at controlling order fail completely when everyone takes off for the beach, treating it more as a public holiday.

Philippines, get a shit more serious with movement orders and curfews. Duterte to bring in a shoot to kill policy if you sneeze.

The economic impact, which has always been the bigger potential issue than the virus itself, is likely to be at unprecedented levels now as people lose their shit in fear and lose (near) all site of reality and rational. It's going to take a very long time to recover and austerity and job losses are going to be huge in the coming years. Will toilet toll become the hard currency for the west in the future?

The likelihood this will now fast track robotics, AI and analytics into business is pretty much assured which will have a huge impact for all in the future, quicker than anticipated. All for a few sheets of Andrew ;-d 

In seriousness, the UK government, and probably several others in Europe really have not planned or given any thought to this and should be accountable fo most of the mayhem that is now ongoing. Did someone in the UK government not think that, as an island, we could minimise this at the start?

Only been glancing at this thread the last couple of weeks while unwell, but have noted a few gems.

The loon ball who had the virus in Scotland in November. Brilliant. Works for a news paper and yet they haven't picked up on a sensational scoop on their doorstep, go figure?

The madman who thinks not trading with China will stop future pandemics (It think the lessons learnt from this one, may help all countries think harder about the topic now) and will bring China to its knees and crawling back to the west cap in hand. 'MIanzi' and Chinese booming middle class, although it will never compensate for the loss of global trade, will ensure it can carry on in a better shape than most western countries. China also has a tight grip on rare earth minerals which western countries have fucked up on. Although the likelihood, that globalisation will also change with the above and manufacturing and supply chains will move a great deal in the coming years.

The most abhorrent thing in the thread of late, despite each post dripping with condescending bullshit and immature one upmanship and petty lines, Virginton is speaking some amount of rational sense. I shudder typing that (although it is generally true that there is a smart mind trapped in a childs body in that person).

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

In seriousness, the UK government, and probably several others in Europe really have not planned or given any thought to this and should be accountable fo most of the mayhem that is now ongoing. Did someone in the UK government not think that, as an island, we could minimise this at the start?

The most abhorrent thing in the thread of late, despite each post dripping with condescending bullshit and immature one upmanship and petty lines, Virginton is speaking some amount of rational sense. I shudder typing that (although it is generally true that there is a smart mind trapped in a childs body in that person).

This is wrong, and Viking-ton is the most wrong of all on this thread. Listen to the actual epidemiologists.

This is wrong, and Viking-ton is the most wrong of all on this thread. Listen to the actual epidemiologists.

So they UK got it right then?

I am following every instruction that is applied here from government and epidemiologists and I can only take my own personal experience in to account. Life here is probably 80% normal. There is social distancing, there are protective measures in work places, there are compulsory self isolations (which I have just completed), which can result in fines/prison and deportation if you do not fulfil. Life goes on though, the shops are open, very little panic buying other than the first wave of shortages on masks and hand sanitiser a month or so ago, school continues, businesses continue and we have a low infection rate and no deaths. A big part of that will be luck, the size of the country (although we are a population of near 6m in one city) but also good planning, good reaction, a sensible approach and people following what is out before them.

In my belief, countries like Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and Macau have all handled this much better, all applying slightly different approaches but being structured in their approach.

Unfortunately and hopefully I am wrong, but the reactions in Europe are late, not thought out and not long term. For a moment of panic and fear there will be many years of hardship for everyone to come.

As for virginton. To be clear, the guy is an idiot and even here is he spouting drivel, but the underlying theme, what (I think) he is trying to get across has some sense.

Just my opinion though. If you know that it is wrong, good on yourself, but I will stick with the advice and plan from here.

All none essential businesses should stop operating however this needs to be done by diktat rather than voluntary to avoid predatory competition.  

Happening in Illinois 18 hours from now. Bevvy shops and weed dispensaries have been classed as essential and will remain open.

We've had the first two deaths reported overnight in the UAE.  It will be interesting to see if the government increase restrictions in response, during the weekend would probably be the time if they were planning extending the shutdown to offices.

28 minutes ago, Helpma said:

We've had the first two deaths reported overnight in the UAE.  It will be interesting to see if the government increase restrictions in response, during the weekend would probably be the time if they were planning extending the shutdown to offices.

First two in Singapore as well now. 75 year old with a heart condition and a 64 year old Indonesian who had Pneumonia in Indonesia before arriving (most likely undiagnosed), also had a heart condition.

We might be getting a bit carried away, this is not the end of times, just a phase when it's better for everyone if we reduce human contact for 2 or three months hopefully. If it goes well we'll be saying what the f**k was all that about. With possibly some reconstructions of the economy with lasting benefits.

I agree with this, we are taking steps to stop the spread of a virus to save our vulnerable citizens and not completely over run our health service here , this isn’t World War Z.

I dont feel very well. Just woke up so too early to nail down the symptoms but right now as I lie here, I have a sore head, my back and legs feels like they might be a nit achy, and although I am not coughing, theres that feeling in my chest like a cough is there.

I assume this is looking isolation worthy?