Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Not the death rates?   

Because getting into the care homes early while England sat on their hands will save lives - and as we know the death current death rates in English homes is shocking.  

I am sorry but Scotlands death rate is only slightly down from the peak in the statistics (which was on the 27 January), so yes the SG should be held accountable on the death rate as well as the UK gov.  

image.png.c3a7335c9f198d513b8e5202c685e506.png

"His final wish was to go via Hawaii though and maybe stop there for...3 or 4 weeks?"

“And he really wanted to go to Disney world in Orlando...err I mean he really wanted to send his grandchildren, 5 star luxury and business class flights the works... I mean he is a war hero.”

Just now, djchapsticks said:

It's been explained umpteen times why it's actually still slowing down?!

Where has this happened?

You know as well as me it's being ramped up today, if we're still in this posiiton mid-month then batter in and ask questions. I will be.

Yesterdays stats were utter shite, and we do need answers on that, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

“And he really wanted to go to Disney world in Orlando...err I mean he really wanted to send his grandchildren, 5 star luxury and business class flights the works... I mean he is a war hero.”

"God bless him, his soul will not rest easy unless he knows we've to get the full Disney dining plan...his dying breath he said that with"

Edited by djchapsticks

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Not the death rates?   

Because getting into the care homes early while England sat on their hands will save lives - and as we know the death current death rates in English homes is shocking.  

You're correct, but once death rates start dropping the vaccinations are very quickly going to focus peoples minds.

I think we all agree that the point is rapidly approaching where Scotland's low vaccination rates can't be explained away. 

Once the media get their teeth into it the criticism of Sturgeon will be brutal, and maybe even fatal. The perception of her being such a competent leader...which has bolstered support for independence....will be blown away. The opposition parties will justifiably batter her with accusations that she concentrates on Indyref2 while ignoring vaccination targets.

We need to see vaccination rates rising sharply, and soon. I'm a supporter of Sturgeon, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that she's drifting rather than leading. 

15 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Not the death rates?   

About 40% of Covid deaths in Scotland in the last seven days have been in people 85+ - which is pretty much what it has been throughout the pandemic. Seems a bit early to say we've done well here.

7 minutes ago, The Stig said:

I am sorry but Scotlands death rate is only slightly down from the peak in the statistics (which was on the 27 January), so yes the SG should be held accountable on the death rate as well as the UK gov.  

image.png.c3a7335c9f198d513b8e5202c685e506.png

The reason deaths are only slightly down is because deaths lag behind hospitalisations which in turn lag behind case loads. Deaths will drop, but it'll be a week or two yet.

On care homes in Scotland, we can probably safely assume everyone is now done aside from the odd home that’s been unable to receive vaccinators due to an outbreak, or the occasional circumstance where Mrs so and so wasn’t feeling well the day they arrived.

IMG_0212.png

The table shows the percentage figure given daily is based on an estimate of how many live in them rather than an exact number. So it’ll never hit 100%.

We can tick care homes off in Scotland. Not the case down south and they’ll only commit to this ‘dose offered’ malarkey - I’m not remotely convinced the difficulties in vaccinating care homes makes up the 3.4% extra population level vaccination that England has against Scotland. But I suppose we’ll just need to see how it pans out. Scottish Government still supremely confident they’ll hit their targets.

Edited by Paco

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

All sounds pretty positive to me, all things considered.

Yep, I suppose it may mean that we have to keep the infrastructure ready to distribute. 

I imagine we wouldn't be trying to vaccinate the entire population, so maybe just the top four vulnerable categories? I would hope once that's all in place we'll be able to do that in 6 weeks or so? Just pulling timescales out my arse. 

Of course, there's a good(?) chance none of this will be necessary, but it would be stupidity not to pre-empt it and have plans in place. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is this "raise some money for charity and get your dream" stuff available to everyone? And is it pro-rata?

I once raised £100 doing a sponsored silence, and have completed every Call of Duty - what can I get for that?

Day pass for M&Ds when it reopens.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's been explained umpteen times why it's actually still slowing down?!

Where has this happened?

The figures from last Sunday were very low as well (11k) and it turned out the whole UK rate for that day was abnormally low.

If they are showing up on Wednesday still doing 22 - 25k, then by all mean wire in. There seems to be a very deliberate and staged build up of capacity in our system, something you can see in the plan the SG previously published.

All 4 nations are committed to the same basic targets for the JCVI list. Whether that's achieved by a day on day incremental increase or by periodic large boosts in the numbers isn't really an issue so long as it happens and they hit that target. They hit their first target for groups 1 and 2. They still seem pretty confident of hitting their next set of targets.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

The reason deaths are only slightly down is because deaths lag behind hospitalisations which in turn lag behind case loads. Deaths will drop, but it'll be a week or two yet.

I am fully aware of this and posted on Friday that Fife had not had a care home positive case in a week.  my post was in response to someone stating "Because getting into the care homes early while England sat on their hands will save lives - and as we know the death current death rates in English homes is shocking."  

I was just pointing out that at present Scotland is not doing so shit hot on that measurement so we can't take the moral high ground

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

I’m sure the daughter has a bit of string tied to ol’ capt’n Tom’s wrist that she pulls every so often to ensure the thumbs up appears.

Weekend at Captain Toms coming to a cinema near you after lockdown.

"#COVID19 vaccination programme continues across NHS Highland NHS Highland’s COVID-19 vaccination programme continues across Highland, Argyll and Bute with 42,755 first dose vaccinations having now been completed (as of 31 January). All care home residents, aside from those homes who currently have a COVID-19 outbreak, have been offered their first COVID-19 vaccination with figures showing a 90% uptake rate. GP colleagues, who will be vaccinating the majority of the public, have completed nearly 85% of the over 80s group, meeting the target with several days to spare."

24 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

We have consistently recorded less than half the daily infection rates than the UK average, our 7 day average is currently 139/100k, the UK is 249/100k or thereabouts, we have less deaths than the UK average.

People are losing their shit over the vaccination programme when it has been explained umpteen times why it slower than elsewhere.   If it is still way behind in a couple of weeks time then I'll be first to level criticism.  However yes, they have been more competent than the rest of the UK administrations in this pandemic so far, that's not to say they have been great.

Just because they explain their shite performance umpteen times doesnt mean that suddenly makes it ok. I posted earlier highlighting my good lady’s own experience of how fucked the roll out has been. If you read OJ Simpsons book ‘how i would have done it’ several times it still doesnt excuse the fact he did it. People absolutely should be angry about the vaccine roll out.