Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

It's a bit hard to compare WM and SG, to be fair.  "Offered" doesn't mean it has been done yet, or even booked in and we know that WM have cooked the books before so that alone isn't worth getting upset about.  

That all being said, I'll reiterate what I've said before, there is no point in comparing what happens in Scotland to what happens in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.  We are right to be asking if our rate of vaccination is going fast enough, and that pressure on the SG should be relentless in the briefings and from opposition parties.  But not because WM claim to have done something, but because the SG have an obligation to get it done as fast as possible here.  Comparisons with England won't really help determine whether or pace is adequate, but equally the questions should be asked about the rollout.  

That's basically where I am. Given we're in the run up to an election the posturing and bullshit will be off the scale from SG, WM, Scottish Tories or whoever else with skin in the game.

There's a huge number of logistical variables at play here so 'but England...' seems about as valuable as it is in Scottish football. They do need held accountable as to whether this is going fast enough though.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Forgive me for wanting a well planned execution of a vaccine roll out in order to get my life back.

My views on the piss poor roll out are nothing to do with who the largest party are.

Assuming they hit their mid February target, would you say that was an adequate or inadequate roll out?

59 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What medical conditions preclude people from taking the vaccine?  I'd assume that more elderly people might have a condition that would mean they can't take it.

I've heard potential impact on the ability to conceive is a factor in some women refusing the vaccine.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Wait, are folk actually making comparisons between how many vaccines have been 'offered' and how many have actually been given?

Looks like it, blowing all those months of graphs and projections out of the water this morning. 

According to this article (what I can read of it anyway) it appears that, whilst it's technically true that the vaccines are not actually in Scotland as NS has said, this is because they haven't actually asked for them rather than them not being available.

Anyone able to grab the full article?

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

WM have worded it to make it look better.  Typical Torying.

SG - We have vaccinated X amount of people.

WM - We have offered it to X amount of people.

Regardless of the language, the existing number of vaccines given in England is currently proportionately higher than Scotland . 

Hopefully the whole of the UK can ramp up so we can start to exit this nightmare. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

According to this article (what I can read of it anyway) it appears that, whilst it's technically true that the vaccines are not actually in Scotland as NS has said, this is because they haven't actually asked for them rather than them not being available.

Anyone able to grab the full article?

Maybe Scotland could boost numbers by including offered vaccinations in the numbers 🤔

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Regardless of the language, the existing number of vaccines given in England is currently proportionately higher than Scotland . 

Hopefully the whole of the UK can ramp up so we can start to exit this nightmare. 

It will be impossible for Scotland to finish 1st in this race. 

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If there was capacity to achieve more then it's clearly inadequate.

So basically it doesn't matter whether they hit the target or not then - a target that is shared across 4 nations.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

So basically it doesn't matter whether they hit the target or not then - a target that is shared across 4 nations.

Of course it matters. Not hitting it is not acceptable by any means.

But at the same time if they could have achieved much more then it was an inadequate target.

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

Study today showing that covid antibodies cross the placenta in the vast majority of cases and confer immunity on newborn infants from the mother. 

Fucking brilliant. Dunno if this is normal stuff in terns of immunity, but sounds pretty fucking excellent to me 👍 

Thus helping the long-term process of SARS-CoV-2 likely becoming a fifth common cold strain.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Interesting. The SG's roll out looks even worse now.

#FreemanMustWalk

Posted at 8:00

Top adviser hopes for normality by summer

image.gif.2f358dd2e95ed6a11d38c9a68881a83f.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

Dr Mike Tildesley, an infectious disease expert who advises the government, says the UK's lockdown measures could begin to be eased in March if the pace of vaccinations stays high, and if jabs are shown to prevent transmission, not just severe infection.

He tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme that any easing would have to happen gradually. “We need to be very careful,” he adds.

Research into whether vaccines prevent transmission is currently ongoing but it's believed they do have some effect, Tildesley says.

Vaccines would need to be “pretty good” at blocking transmission “to avoid a resurgence” of the virus when measures are eased, he adds.

“Hopefully by the summer we can get back to something pretty close to what we have seen before the pandemic as normal.”

Since jabs are not 100% effective at preventing symptoms in people, he says, eased restrictions will create more risk for those who have not had a jab.

That's a bit more like it, ya c**ts.