Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I read an interesting article once attacking the vanity of humans calling our age the anthropocene when not a shred of evidence our civilisation ever existed will be present in 10million years and in geological terms it will, if detectable at all, be a thin layer in rock marking the 'quaternary carbon maximum'. I don't think we're capable of truly understanding the vastness of time.

The Nokiarassic period.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Technically she is incorrect, you could easily try and maybe succeed in catching a bomb from a passing Heinkel.

That would only be recommended now if the catchers were standing at least 1.5 metres apart.

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Apart from your hands when is it safe to wash other parts of the body? 🤔

If you're apart from your hands it would make washing anything very difficult. 

Edited by The Skelpit Lug

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Tu est un vraiment bleu

I have taken a break from this thread for a few days and it is incredible how far things have moved on. How I yearn for the days Of last week when Alta Pete was being a patronising dick when I agreed with you that some kind of universal wage might be a good idea.

Co dhiù, nach eil thu ceart, ‘S e duine gorm a th’ ann, gun chridhe.

54 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it weird to find it comforting witnessing the speed with which nature is reclaiming places that are normally busy with people?

I feel like whenever The Big One happens planet Earth will be just fine without us in charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/20/nature-is-taking-back-venice-wildlife-returns-to-tourist-free-city

You're not doing it in this post but there's a lot of similar takes on social media which are going down a similar road, and it's proper jose.png material.

I'm sure it is comforting for folk, and there's obviously a conversation to be had about a greener society/economy, but, at the same time, read the mood. Tens of thousands will die and there's going to be immense, probably unprecedented, socioeconomic damage that will have detrimental long-run effects on a large chunk of the population. But, on the other hand, the birds are singing.

The announcement today about paying wages?

Does this mean that ANY company struggling or not and not essential can effectively shutdown now and give workers 80% and top up?

Is this just for shops/pubs etc?
As far as I can tell, its the former. An admirable and well-meaning measure that's going to help out lots of people but it could also be another massive loophole for bullshit limited company types to cream even more dirty money off the government.

4 minutes ago, resk said:
1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:
The announcement today about paying wages?

Does this mean that ANY company struggling or not and not essential can effectively shutdown now and give workers 80% and top up?

Is this just for shops/pubs etc?

As far as I can tell, its the former. An admirable and well-meaning measure that's going to help out lots of people but it could also be another massive loophole for bullshit limited company types to cream even more dirty money off the government.

I think it's genuine because they realise they've fucked it.

14 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I have taken a break from this thread for a few days and it is incredible how far things have moved on. How I yearn for the days Of last week when Alta Pete was being a patronising dick when I agreed with you that some kind of universal wage might be a good idea.

Co dhiù, nach eil thu ceart, ‘S e duine gorm a th’ ann, gun chridhe.

Moi?? condescendant?. Non.....

I wonder if instead of just paying them they could retrain or deploy some of the workers into the key areas?

Like cooks or cleaners into the nhs?

Edit I do mean they should be paid and retrained if they want to not forced into some role due to money like some cheap labour scheme.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

I wonder if instead of just paying them they could retrain or deploy some of the workers into the key areas?
Like cooks or cleaners into the nhs?

Cleaners from other NHS jobs (dentists etc) whose office has closed are already working at ARI. They've set up a Corona Virus testing tent for staff as 600 are off at the moment. Anyone with any sort of cough has been sent home.

This ain’t no flu.

No danger the worldwide economies are being trashed at such speed just to save the old and vulnerable. Governments all over the world have been doing their level best to dispose of their non-earners in the least visible way possible way for years. And suddenly now we’ve to pay everybody to just sit at home so they can be saved?

i’ll away and get my tinfoil hat again...

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it weird to find it comforting witnessing the speed with which nature is reclaiming places that are normally busy with people?

I feel like whenever The Big One happens planet Earth will be just fine without us in charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/20/nature-is-taking-back-venice-wildlife-returns-to-tourist-free-city

The Venice story is bollocks, really. The water clarity is because the sediment that's normally stirred up by boats has settled on the bottom; if it were pollution it wouldn't have cleared so quickly. The swans are always on that island, and the dolphin pics are from Sardinia.

There are loads of environmental silver linings though. Air pollution in the Po valley is extremely low for this time of year, which is good for - coincidentally enough - people with respiratory problems. 

Frankly, I couldn't care less that the Earth that will be fine without us. That would mean humanity is extinct, and for that to happen it would require some unimaginable suffering on an unthinkable scale. I'm more interested in trying to make the world liveable now, which is entirely possible.

I saw one guy refer to us as a virus and coronavirus as a "vaccine". Aye mate, that's easy to say when it's only the elderly and sick doing the dying.

Last question on this, say the hospitals were struggling and we went full lockdown.
Would the 80% thing apply to all workers?
I'd be happy to take all holidays at once to help but if it was for three months then it would need more intervention from the government surely?
It's hard to say where you draw the line. Is a bar worker more or less important than someone who works in a bank or a factory or amazon?

On a personal note, if the hospitals became overrun it would be dangerous for people to put themselves at risk and go to work. It would have to mean people being locked in apart from shopping or essential work.
Cant see companies actually giving a f**k about employees though and demanding they come in while management stay at home. At that point many workers would just stay away and this could create civil unrest if they cant afford food or to pay bills when their bosses are fucking around on their laptop getting paid a fortune.

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

This ain’t no flu.

No danger the worldwide economies are being trashed at such speed just to save the old and vulnerable. Governments all over the world have been doing their level best to dispose of their non-earners in the least visible way possible way for years. And suddenly now we’ve to pay everybody to just sit at home so they can be saved?

i’ll away and get my tinfoil hat again...

Think in much more simple terms it is:

The cost of what is being thrown at it is significantly less than the cost it would take to bring any particular country's health service up to a level where it could deal with it comfortably and factoring in the probability that any government overseeing it and doing nothing, allowing potentially millions to perish will effectively make themselves un-electable ever again. 

Economy, wrecked or not, can recover in time. Reputation if not taking action to resolve this will not recover in time. The Tories in Scotland are still un-electable to this day and that was taking folks livelihoods away in the 80s. This is now life or death. 

Edited by djchapsticks