Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Just to give a bit further context to this, he's purely talking in a sense of DURING vaccine rollout. Not in a vaccinated world. I think most people would probably agree that this is a sensible approach.

image.png.bd780642fe3268ce8576572bedb50b0f.png

Yeah he said that in the video. Looks like this question is starting to get asked more often around the world which is good. Will have the effect of both keeping expectations under control (and explaining WHY), but show a bit more light at the end of the tunnel in the short to medium term 

Edited by madwullie

19 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I was unaware this is a competition.

Maybe the actual vaccination program should be more on peoples minds than who looks bad or who looks good.

It's about saving lives not a talent contest.

Well... no. The SG have defended (and been defended on) how slow their roll out has been by saying they were prioritising care homes first.

England, on the other hand, appear to have managed to get through much more per capita whilst also managing to get through their care homes too.

When your flagship defence is exposed for the smokescreen it is, then criticism is absolutely fair.

Ive said it before but it genuinely is staggering how far people are willing to bend over backwards to avoid criticising the SG. 

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Well... no. The SG have defended (and been defended on) how slow their roll out has been by saying they were prioritising care homes first.

England, on the other hand, appear to have managed to get through much more per capita whilst also managing to get through their care homes too.

When your flagship defence is exposed for the smokescreen it is, then criticism is absolutely fair.

Ive said it before but it's genuinely is staggering how far people are willing to bend over backwards to avoid criticising the SG. 

Has it actually gotten through their care homes or are you just managing the narrative on your own based "offered to"?

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ive said it before but it's genuinely is staggering how far people are willing to bend over backwards to avoid criticising the SG. 

Tbf, the Scottish approach was defendable at the time, it's the lack of ramping up in comparison over the past week or so that's the problem. 

23 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I was unaware this is a competition.

Maybe the actual vaccination program should be more on peoples minds than who looks bad or who looks good.

It's about saving lives not a talent contest.

A faster roll out saves lives,  and quickens restrictions easing. 

Literally no idea why people wanting a faster rollout has been likened to a talent contest. 

Just now, GiGi said:

Has it actually gotten through their care homes or are you just managing the narrative on your own based "offered to"?

"Offered to" to me means exactly that. If someone says no thanks, or can't have it because they currently have, or recently had, covid then they obviously won't have been vaccinated, but that's the same as here and therefore irrelevant.

Has there been any data published on refusal rates amongst the age groups being vaccinated currently? Inevitably there will be missed appointments as well. 

I'd imagine over 80s are less likely to refuse a vaccine on the basis of half-baked conspiracy theories, but it would be good to know what the refusal rate is and if it's in line with expectations. 20% of staff in care homes refusing is unfortunately quite alarming. 

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

"Offered to" to me means exactly that. If someone says no thanks, or can't have it because they currently have, or recently had, covid then they obviously won't have been vaccinated, but that's the same as here and therefore irrelevant.

So everyone in care homes in England, that wanted it, have been vaccinated? Well done to NHS England if that's the case but this looks like reach to continue your wee daily rant tbh. FWIW I'm also unhappy about the speed of the vaccine rollout in Scotland and pies need to be booted until we're hitting a capacity that will see us all jabbed by April but you post on here about 'the cult' every single day even though I don't see that vociferous a defence of Scot Gov's performance here at all.

‘Offered’ could mean they’re booked in for an appointment in three weeks time. A relatively useless phrase but I’m willing to bet we’ll start seeing it here as well if (when?) the SG are looking like wildly missing the mid-Feb target.

We had the ‘start of Feb’ target for an estimated 555,000 people from JCVI groups 1 & 2 (care homes, NHS workers, over 80s). Using raw numbers we’re at 566k as of close of play Saturday 30th Jan. I’m sure there’ll be some individuals to be picked up over the next week but we can probably say the target there is hit. Hooray.

We need to be at broadly 40k per day from now on though to get through Groups 3 & 4 by ‘mid Feb’. I’ve used Monday 15th Feb as the finishing date. 580,000 people (more than we’ve done in total so far). I just don’t see it happening at all.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Or the most likely scenario, it's been offered to them but won't actually be administered for another couple of weeks, which would make it entirely relevant.

There are multiple reasons to criticise the SG's management of the rollout without massively reaching like this. We don't judge the SG's progress based on how many letters have been sent, we judge it on how many people have actually been vaccinated. Therefore if you're making a comparison to somewhere else you compare to how many have been vaccinated as well, not how many have been 'offered' one.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

We need to be at broadly 40k per day from now on though to get through Groups 3 & 4 by ‘mid Feb’. I’ve used Monday 15th Feb as the finishing date. 580,000 people (more than we’ve done in total so far). I just don’t see it happening at all.

No idea how much impact they'll have on numbers, but the mass vaccination centres around the country seem to be opening today.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Or the most likely scenario, it's been offered to them but won't actually be administered for another couple of weeks, which would make it entirely relevant.

There are multiple reasons to criticise the SG's management of the rollout without massively reaching like this. We don't judge the SG's progress based on how many letters have been sent, we judge it on how many people have actually been vaccinated. Therefore if you're making a comparison to somewhere else you compare to how many have been vaccinated as well, not how many have been 'offered' one.

Reaching whilst telling someone else they are reaching is quite a tactic tbf.

That's the isle of man just binned mask wearing and social distancing.  the likes of Australia may have gotten a bit jittery with their lockdown in perth over 1 case but they too had been able to enjoy the old normal for many months.

it's good news for the rest of us, because the more countries that allow normality to return , the more people will begin to demand it here.  They won't be able to use the " it's the same everywhere else" line any more