Coronavirus (COVID-19)

58 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

From what I have read Hancock deserves a lot of credit for the vaccine procurement.

COVID-19: Rejected contracts and a Hollywood movie - how UK struck deal to guarantee vaccine supply http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-rejected-contracts-and-a-hollywood-movie-how-uk-struck-deal-to-guarantee-vaccine-supply-12204044

Interesting article.

Overall he’s still a c**t.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It’s better to be lucky than good.  Seems like the vaccine procurement process has worked.  Lots of people have been quick to criticise other aspects of the response.  It’s only fair to say they got this one right.

why is buying quantities of multiple vaccines deemed to bad btw?  EU and US have done the same (along with many other nations).  I don’t see you tearing in to them for doing the same thing as we did ( and in the case of the EU doing it much slower and therefore fucking it up)

if they’d bought 150m doses of one potential vaccine (like Sanofi for example) where would we be now?

No im not saying its ‘bad’ or ‘good’ its just what everyone should be doing in western civilisations. Yes we can congratulate them on getting ONE thing right, they got ONE thing right in this entire thing. 
You’ll be able to go back a few of my posts and see where I actually did say the EU fucked up, but see given im only really bothered about how much my government has fucked up. If my house burned down partly and you tried to comfort me by saying ‘but the neighbours house completely burned down’, i wouldnt be comforted. The tories are responsible for 100,000 deaths because they failed to act, they got 1 thing right by a pure fluke, im sorry, im not impressed.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Literally the only reason we've taken this approach is because we fucked up everything else so badly

The only possible thing that could save us was vaccines, so rather than wait and see which ones worked / we're most effective, we had to just chuck everything we had at every single vaccine and cross our fingers they were ready in time. 

Turns out we've been lucky and it looks a good move. Really really genuinely pleased at that, but if it had taken another, say 18 months to get them up and running we'd be completely and utterly fucked with not much else to do but actually properly stay inside forever or get on with it with hundreds of thousands dying and hope to f**k herd immunity arrived soon. 

Australia is held up as a poster boy of how to handle this crisis.  They’ve taken the same approach as us.  They secured doses of multiple vaccines (4 for the compared to 5 for us I think).

I’m looking forward to everyone getting fired into them for doing this.

Australia is held up as a poster boy of how to handle this crisis.  They’ve taken the same approach as us.  They secured doses of multiple vaccines (4 for the compared to 5 for us I think).
I’m looking forward to everyone getting fired into them for doing this.

The Aussies contracts are likely to be hit by the EU trying to restrict exports, or so I’ve read.

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No im not saying its ‘bad’ or ‘good’ its just what everyone should be doing in western civilisations. Yes we can congratulate them on getting ONE thing right, they got ONE thing right in this entire thing. 
You’ll be able to go back a few of my posts and see where I actually did say the EU fucked up, but see given im only really bothered about how much my government has fucked up. If my house burned down partly and you tried to comfort me by saying ‘but the neighbours house completely burned down’, i wouldnt be comforted. The tories are responsible for 100,000 deaths because they failed to act, they got 1 thing right by a pure fluke, im sorry, im not impressed.

They aren’t responsible for 100,000 deaths.  No matter what they did an unknown number of people were going to die.  The devolved governments also have a hand in this.

they’re responsible for a number of deaths, some of them avoidable, but you can’t lay every UK death at their door.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why are you making this some kind of black/white approach? Seriously? Aye the EU fucked up. Thats absolutely obvious. But lets not pretend that the UK have played a masterstroke in terms of business acumen by buying large amounts of every vaccine like its some kind of outstanding stroke of genius. They did the same with shite quality PPE and shite quality IT equipment and outsourcing for track and trace etc. What they’ve done is have an absolute shit fit and thrown massive amounts of money at every aspect of this they can, thats not skill. 
When you f**k up as much as our government have through this you’re bound to get at least one thing right. 

When you talk about “our government” f**king up, I take it you’re referring to the Scottish government also. Turning our care homes into killing fields and making a pig’s ear of vaccinating people? You’ll notice the pattern on here, SG make an arse of something, it’s always someone else’s fault, UK government do something right....and it’s luck. 

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Let's stay inside and never get sick ever again.

Seriously, though, some of the comments are frightening.

I agree, I had a quick look and the vast majority of comments appear to be Covid deniers claiming that all flu cases have been falsely put down as Covid. Lunatics aplenty in there.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Let's stay inside and never get sick ever again.

Seriously, though, some of the comments are frightening.

This might be a genuine problem for the flu vaccine - Australia, New Zealand and the rest of the southern hemisphere's flu vaccine is taken from our flu cases and developed based on that. Then the northern hemisphere takes their flu cases and develops our vaccine - the cycle is repeated every year during each hemisphere's winter.

If there are less cases of flu, then it's more difficult to develop the vaccine (though obviously less people getting sick is always good).

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You could be talking about the Scottish Government and Westminster here.

1 hour ago, Glen Sannox said:

When you talk about “our government” f**king up, I take it you’re referring to the Scottish government also. Turning our care homes into killing fields and making a pig’s ear of vaccinating people? You’ll notice the pattern on here, SG make an arse of something, it’s always someone else’s fault, UK government do something right....and it’s luck. 

53 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You could be talking about the Scottish Government and Westminster here.

Are you both quite new to this thread? 
I love the absolute search for outrage from Minter, yes Glen, dont you worry this thread is full of criticism for the Scottish Government in fact its pretty much 62% of the content so calm it. I’ve not been sparing in my own critique. Settle down. 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are you both quite new to this thread? 
I love the absolute search for outrage from Minter, yes Glen, dont you worry this thread is full of criticism for the Scottish Government in fact its pretty much 62% of the content so calm it. I’ve not been sparing in my own critique. Settle down. 

Could you show your workings for this please?  

Granted I’m new posting here but my impression is that mostly the Scottish Government is brilliant and Westminster are useless is the default view.  

They’ve both been equally useless from what I see but most people are too polarised to have a dispassionate viewpoint.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Could you show your workings for this please?  

Granted I’m new posting here but my impression is that mostly the Scottish Government is brilliant and Westminster are useless is the default view.  

They’ve both been equally useless from what I see but most people are too polarised to have a dispassionate viewpoint.

Are you genuinely asking me to show some kind of proof that a flippant remark i made about posts criticising the Scottish Government on this thread? 
I think you really need to read the thread then if you dont think both UK and Scot Gov get a hard time on here. Go read every single page, i’ll wait. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are you genuinely asking me to show some kind of proof that a flippant remark i made about posts criticising the Scottish Government on this thread? 
I think you really need to read the thread then if you dont think both UK and Scot Gov get a hard time on here. Go read every single page, i’ll wait. 

I have read every page.  I may be new posting but I’ve been reading it since day 1.