Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Business owners make up a massive block of the torries core support. They really need to have this mess all forgotten about by the time the next election comes round, which is obviously still ages away. But if they are no longer moderately wealthy small buisness owners then they might have to vote for generous state handouts or UBI next time round
In the short term my concern is people being forced out of work and into a cycle they cant get out of, which of course happens now, but is plotting a nice course towards happening on a scale never before imagined mever mind seen, ably helped by a combination of two governments without a spine between them.

As Mr Carbon-Rod said, what a fucking terrible thing to have to acknowledge that the tories are our best hope of a common sense return to normality.

The narrative they have built up around this virus has left them with absolutely nowhere to go. The lasting legacy of this for our leaders will not be the deaths, it will be what they did to the living.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Seeing as it's looking like vaccinations aren't going to actually change anything I wonder if there's any problem with them taking their time.

There is statistical evidence that vaccinations are already working in terms of reducing the rate of cases among more heavily vaccinated demographic groups such as the 80+ people. Not to mention what is happening in Israel. 

Hopefully the vaccination centres help.

What's the rush if you believe it isn't going to result in any semblance of normality ?

Seems a bit counter intuitive to moan that you believe vaccination isn't going to be the silver bullet then minutes later moan about the speed of the rollout.

As I hinted at last night the depressed and uber pessimistic are starting to take over this thread. Stop over analysing as it's dragging you deeper into it ! It's getting to the stage that every morsel of cautiousnes is being treated a gospel while anything optimistic is being cast aside. It's surely not what this thread is all about but it's most definitely where it's heading.

I'm an extremely optimistic glass half full type but honestly reading this thread would drag anyone down. I'm seriously considering at least vastly reducing my time looking at it as it really isn't doing anymore any good any more. It appears to be in a death spiral of doom.

Assuming there are still some restrictions in place it'll be interesting to see how much has changed since last summer as there is a fair amount of research now on the impact of various NPIs. For example, one paper I read was emphatic about the need for good ventilation but also of the opinion that the 2M distancing did very little.

My granpa is 82 and my gran is 79. The GP was at their house the other day to give them both the flu jag while my granpa also got the Covid vaccine. My gran, meanwhile, has to wait until next week for her Covid jag.

I know they technically come under different groups but in instances like that it would surely just have been quicker and easier to give the vaccine to both of them at the same time?

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

What's the rush if you believe it isn't going to result in any semblance of normality ?

Seems a bit counter intuitive to moan that you believe vaccination isn't going to be the silver bullet then minutes later moan about the speed of the rollout.

Every person who gets vaccinated is at a reduced risk of developing serious illness or dying, so even if the restrictions aren't going to be lifted there is a clear benefit to vaccinating as quickly as possible. 

I wonder if we’re now allowed to question why our vaccine numbers are so shite without getting the “but care homes!!! Don’t you read????!!!” response.
They are at 99.8% now. Once they are done the sky is the limit. Sit tight....

As I hinted at last night the depressed and uber pessimistic are starting to take over this thread. Stop over analysing as it's dragging you deeper into it ! It's getting to the stage that every morsel of cautiousnes is being treated a gospel while anything optimistic is being cast aside. It's surely not what this thread is all about but it's most definitely where it's heading.

I'm an extremely optimistic glass half full type but honestly reading this thread would drag anyone down. I'm seriously considering at least vastly reducing my time looking at it as it really isn't doing anymore any good any more. It appears to be in a death spiral of doom.
Not really. We all know that the vaccines are key to even having the discussion, they are also key to reducing admissions. Once they do this, we can hope that enormous pressure from numerous sectors and advisors to the govt is enough to have the side effect of letting us plebs out the house.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

They are at 99.8% now. Once they are done the sky is the limit. Sit tight....Not really. We all know that the vaccines are key to even having the discussion, they are also key to reducing admissions. Once they do this, we can hope that enormous pressure from numerous sectors and advisors to the govt is enough to have the side effect of letting us plebs out the house.

Source for the 99.8% figure? Good news if so. If so we really need a big jump next week at least 30k+ daily.

Just now, DMCs said:

Source for the 99.8% figure? Good news if so. If so we really need a big jump next week at least 30k+ daily.

I was doing a sarcasm. We have been hearing that pish excuse for a while now and it will no doubt continue whilst the numbers are so pitifully low. The last thing they want is to call 100 on care home. Then they might actually have to explain themselves

21 minutes ago, DMCs said:

When or where do the care home figures come out for Scottish vaccinations? Less vaccinations total than Wales yesterday while England has done just shy of 550k which is more than double the rate of Scotland. The care home excuse surely can't fly much longer?

The mass vaccination centres are going live on Monday so hopefully we start seeing a BIG increase next week.

There was some figures on Friday. Seems 90% of all care home residents have been done. (Under vaccination on the link).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Edited by Jambomo

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays Headlines:    The BBC reporting is literally on fire today. Rumours Prof Leitch caught smoking in the attic.

INFECTIONS IN SCOTLAND HAVE more than HALVED.  Down 53.10%. Only 2 councils now over 200 cases per 100K   Importantly North Lanarkshire is now dropping faster than the Scottish average rate, and South Lanarkshire blasts below the 200 marker. No areas in Scotland over 1000 per 100k.  Another major city Aberdeen a handful of cases from going sub 100 per 100K.

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest and will document their daily progress.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England  354.2 to 330.0  down 6.83%,   Wales  191.0 to 173.4 down 9.21% , Northern Ireland   262.2  to 247.6  down 5.48%,  all 3 dropping.  Wales in particular is dropping quickly and has indicated some possible relaxation from 22nd February. The Virus is now clearly under control nationwide. The English still starting their drops from massively higher levels.

For interest of the bigger European countries Portugal 878 having a torrid time and this may go over 1,000,  Spain 527 dropping , Czech 442 are the big hitters.  

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    

From 21st to 27th January we were down to 144.0

Todays figure for 22nd Jan to 28th Jan is  141.6     Another smaller single Day drop of 1.66%. Likely to be some slowing down now and possibly the odd day of increase. Hopefully not timed around Tuesdays Scotgov statement. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY FOUR days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 53.10%

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire  249.0  to 234.6 Down a very good 5.78%

Glasgow City  222.1 to 221.4

North Ayrshire 194.4 to 193.7

South Lanarkshire  204.7 to 191.9 Down a great 6.25% and through the 200 barrier.

East Ayrshire 184.4 to 183.6

East Renfrewshire   171.7t o 181.1

Renfrewshire 177.6 to 180.9 

Clackmannanshire  182.4 to 176.6

West Dunbartonshire  178.8 to 177.7 

East Dunbartonshire  164.8 to 168.4  

Falkirk  166.0 to 162.2

Dumfries & Galloway  151.0 to 143.1  Langholm & Eskdale below 1000 at last 

Inverclyde   137.5 to 140.1 

South Ayrshire  135.9 to 139.4

West Lothian  125.6 to 136.5

Stirling 135.9 to 133.7

Angus   145.4 to 134.3  Great 20% drop in 2 days.

Midlothian  119.0 to 119.0

Perth & Kinross  100.7 to 117.8  The bad boys of the day with a rise of 21 cases alone at the Western Edge. This is the posh end of Fermer Toon. Perhaps someone in Perth can report what is going on ?

Moray    116.9 to 111.7

Dundee City  109.2 to 109.8  

Aberdeen City   117.6 to 100.1  Huge drop of 17.5%  Danestone drops from 1287 to 454 cases per 100K in 1 day.  100 barrier imminent ?

Scottish  Borders   97.8 to 87.4  Another great 10% drop

Fife  85.4 to 83.3

City Of Edinburgh  83.6 to 79.8   Still dropping quickly almost unbelievable. Huge areas reported virtually covid free

Aberdeenshire   80.4 to 78.9  

Highlands  75.5 to 77.2   Invergordon falling but Inverness East rising quicker.

East Lothian   74.7 to 72.8 

Argyll & Bute   69.9 to 68.7

Western Isles    44.9 to 67.4   Clearly with the 18 cases active the whole of Scotland should stay in Lockdown mmmm

Orkney Island   35.9 to 26.9  Take that Jean

Shetland Islands  17.5 to 8.7  And that you profiteer of doom.

Edited by superbigal

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I was doing a sarcasm. We have been hearing that pish excuse for a while now and it will no doubt continue whilst the numbers are so pitifully low. The last thing they want is to call 100 on care home. Then they might actually have to explain themselves

The large vaccination centres go live tomorrow. Would expect then to see a large increase in numbers announced on Tuesday.

They have vaccinated groups 1 and 2 in line with their plan, and have seemingly built extra capacity to get through the next several groups by Mid February. From the plan that the SG put out and subsequently took down, there was a planned increase in rates around the end of January. 

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

There was some figures on Friday. Seems 90% of all care home residents have been done. (Under vaccination on the link).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Has it not been sitting at 90% for a while?  Seem to recall that figure at least a week ago, possibly longer.

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The gloom is a direct consequence of the words coming out of our politicians and their advisors. They will make the decisions after all. 

Not sure if you are being disingenuous here, but "the depressed and pessimistic"?

Folk are literally reacting to what we are being told. If you want to be positive, and I'd love to, you have to read between some pretty fucking faint lines, and interpret something that goes against all form of the last year for Scotgov.

If you want to be positive fine, but it's you that's spinning, not anyone else.

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

My granpa is 82 and my gran is 79. The GP was at their house the other day to give them both the flu jag while my granpa also got the Covid vaccine. My gran, meanwhile, has to wait until next week for her Covid jag.

I know they technically come under different groups but in instances like that it would surely just have been quicker and easier to give the vaccine to both of them at the same time?

I thought there was supposed to be a week between the flu and covid jags. Daft though, I agree, had a similar thing wheeling my mother round for hers and I'll be probably back for mine a couple of weeks later.

14 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

We couldn’t possibly consider that until they’ve reached Agnes and Isa (80) from Barra first.

1 hour ago, stuart87 said:

I’m not understanding why this Summer will be the same as last Summer. Are all of the most vulnerable not going to be vaccinated by that point?

According to the article above, modelling suggests we need ~85%(?) coverage with the vaccine to ensure R is kept low enough. 

Dont know how it works like that if the most vulnerable are jagged tho