Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think they’ll keep current restrictions in place until the end of February, arguing it’ll mean more people are vaccinated.

They don't even need to argue that. They can point to the hospitals having more people in them that in April and say that easing restrictions would cause those numbers to increase again.

QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH SOME LEGAL KNOWLEDGE
The company I work for supply components for vehicle manufacturing and as such have to travel from Falkirk to Glasgow to collect the parts and then distribute them about the factory upon my return . It is open to conjecture if vehicle manufacturing is essential work at this time. 
The crux of the matter is I have now been informed I will have to work at the warehouse in the Glasgow area to carry out a "stock check" for the foreseeable future.  The stock check is basically a red herring just to get me to work in the warehouse. I have argued that this is non essential, would be breaching the SG's guidelines and therefore I will not be attending.  Any advice on where I legally stand on this would be greatly appreciated.

When you drive to Glasgow make sure you turn the heater on and open the windows fully

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If the Cuban state can do it so can other lower income economies.

Not at the scale or speed required to vaccinate the entire world.  

If it was that easy then all the lower income countries would have knocked up their own vaccine development and manufacturing facilities.

57 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

I see that WHO is now asking developed countries to temporarily halt vaccinations once they've given them to their most vulnerable citizens, and allow the current stockpiles to be distributed to developing countries. Which is what I suggested on this forum a couple weeks ago. Coincidence?

Probably as I doubt they are monitoring P&B, but will be interesting to see how Labour handles this. In tune with their values or just another bunch of selfish nationalists once you move beyond some empty rhetoric?

4 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I get that you're not a fan and she might well get a govt. post out of this, but would a university post not be judged by the likes of peer reviewed articles, books written, conferences, committee chairs and the like? Media performances might be cv padding but maybe less important for a uni post? Dunno, just wondering.

'Impact' is a now huge feature of the academic appointment process rather than being CV padding. That can be sold in multiple ways but never being off a TV screen during a pandemic is a good one.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not sure whats so controversial about that statement.  Life will be normal in the UK, Europe, US etc long before then but it will take years to get round the rest of the globe.

Sinovac and Sputnik won't be used much in first world countries but it's a mistake to think only Europe and the United States have vaccines on the go that will be produced in the billion range on doses this year. India also has Oxford AZ ramping up in production terms in a big way to that sort of scale right now. Once J&J, Novavax and Valneva etc arrive on the scene western countries will have more doses ordered than they know what to do with. There's resons for optimism.

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not sure whats so controversial about that statement.  Life will be normal in the UK, Europe, US etc long before then but it will take years to get round the rest of the globe.

True of course, it's just more the rhetoric and what a lot of the general public will read into it. There is no self-awareness about what that will do to people's mental wellbeing.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Sinovac and Sputnik won't be used much in first world countries but it's a mistake to think only Europe and the United States have vaccines on the go that will be produced in the billion range on doses this year. India also has Oxford AZ ramping up in production terms in a big way to that sort of scale right now. Once J&J, Novavax and Valneva etc arrive on the scene western countries will have more doses ordered than they know what to do with. There's resons for optimism.

Its not just having the vaccines though (and will take way longer than a year to manufacture the 10 billion plus does required).

you also have to have the ability to administer them.  That ability currently doesn’t exist in the developing world.  Even 2 years seems optimistic to me.

There's also the fact that in many countries the virus is simply going to circulate and eventually reach an equilibrium with reduced spread.

The pandemic should really be over in an epidemiological sense by the end of this year in the northern hemisphere.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Its not just having the vaccines though (and will take way longer than a year to manufacture the 10 billion plus does required).

you also have to have the ability to administer them.  That ability currently doesn’t exist in the developing world.  Even 2 years seems optimistic to me.

I really don't care about what is happening in the developing world tbh. If we need to ban or enforce strict quarantine on anyone arriving from an area insufficiently vaccinated then so be it.

It really isn't my problem, nor is it a reason to keep me from doing what I want to do any longer than strictly necessary.

That might sound selfish but i'm willing to bet few of us gave a second thought to life in these places previously, or how unfair it is, as we happily got on with our lives.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Devi's main aim now seems to be trolling P&B posters.

Surely, in this instance, decisions should be made on data from, erm, this country? I mean if the data shows that massive increases in cases are amongst school age children (and I'm sure at one point it was) then you need to take action. You can't have that situation and then say "Oh but in Norway..." and do nothing about it just because of what's going on there.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

...you also have to have the ability to administer them.  That ability currently doesn’t exist in the developing world...

They have fridges in Africa and access to hypodermic needles and syringes. Pfizer and Moderna would have been problematic but Sinovac and Sputnik should be OK.

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays Headlines:    Even Scotgov cannot find something miserable to say today. Absolutely no way lockdown should be extended beyond 15th Feb now.

INFECTIONS IN SCOTLAND HAVE more than HALVED.  Down 52.30%. Only 3 councils now over 200 cases per 100K   Even  North Lanarkshire under 250 !!

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest and will document their daily progress.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England  373.2 to 354.2  down 5.09%,   Wales  204.8 to 191.0 down 6.74% , Northern Ireland   271.7 to 262.2  down 3.50%,  all 3 dropping.  Wales in particular is dropping quickly and has indicated some possible relaxation from 22nd February.

For interest of the bigger European countries Portugal 878 having a torrid time and this may go over 1,000,  Spain 527 dropping , Czech 442 are the big hitters.  

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    

From 20th to 26th January we were down to 152.5

Todays figure for 21st Jan to 27th Jan is  144.0     Another huge single Day drop of 5.57%. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY THREE days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 52.30%

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire  258.7  to 249.0   

Glasgow City 236.1 to 222.1

South Lanarkshire 216.5 to 204.7

North Ayrshire 194.4 to 194.4  

East Ayrshire 207.4 to 184.4  Down a huge 11% and through the 200 barrier 

Clackmannanshire  188.2 to 182.4

West Dunbartonshire 203.5 to 178.8  Down a huge 12% and through the 200 barrier 

Renfrewshire 186.5 to 177.6  Dropped over 25% in 3 days.

East Renfrewshire  170.6 to 171.7

Falkirk  170.9 to 166.0

East Dunbartonshire  174.0 to 164.8  Near 20% drop in 2 days.

Dumfries & Galloway  165.9 to 151.0  Good drop.  Langholm & Eskdale still over 1042 Cases per 100K and Scotland's No 2 . 

Angus  167.8 to 145.4   Great 13% drop

Inverclyde  147.8 to 137.5 

South Ayrshire  152.7 to 135.9     Another fantastic 11% drop

Stirling 132.7 to 135.9

West Lothian  124.5 to 125.6

Midlothian  112.5 to 119.0  

Aberdeen City    121.6 to 117.6  Danestone risen to 1287 cases per 100K and takes top spot in Scotland.  

Moray    120.0 to 116.9 

Dundee City 115.9 to 109.2   Dropped by over 30% in just 4 days.  Outstanding.

Perth & Kinross  113.9 to 100.7  Great fall over 10% and so close to 100 barrier

Scottish  Borders  103.0 to 97.8  Another through the 100 barrier

Fife   95.3 to 85.4   Again down another 10% outstanding   

Aberdeenshire   95.7 to 80.4  Wow down 16% at these low levels

City Of Edinburgh  88.4 to 83.6  

Highlands  78.9 to 75.5   Invergordon falling.

East Lothian  67.2 to 74.7  

Argyll & Bute   68.7 to 69.9

Western Isles    18.7 to 44.9   Oh Jean put us in Lockdown.. Oh wait.

Orkney Island  31.4 to 35.9

Shetland Islands  21.8 to 17.5

Your updates are a rare glimmer of hope so than you 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Malaria hasn't yet been eradicated worldwide. In fact, millions die each year from it. And in truth, no rich and developed country really gives a f**k, sadly. 

If people....from rich, developed countries...travel to a malaria infected area, you get vaccinated beforehand. 

I fail to see why covid should be treated differently. 

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I really don't care about what is happening in the developing world tbh. If we need to ban or enforce strict quarantine on anyone arriving from an area insufficiently vaccinated then so be it.

It really isn't my problem, nor is it a reason to keep me from doing what I want to do any longer than strictly necessary.

That might sound selfish but i'm willing to bet few of us gave a second thought to life in these places previously, or how unfair it is, as we happily got on with our lives.

Most people couldn't care less about anyone else as long as they're not effected. Once most of the developed nations are vaccinated and going about their business covid will be forgotten about until another one comes along. 

I really hope that isn't the case though but can anyone really see after getting our economies ruined people will accept billions in aid to Africa when theres food banks and mass unemployment?

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Surely, in this instance, decisions should be made on data from, erm, this country? I mean if the data shows that massive increases in cases are amongst school age children (and I'm sure at one point it was) then you need to take action. You can't have that situation and then say "Oh but in Norway..." and do nothing about it just because of what's going on there.

The SG have been extremely skilled in finding and using data from somewhere in Europe to support their decisions throughout. 

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Most people couldn't care less about anyone else as long as they're not effected. Once most of the developed nations are vaccinated and going about their business covid will be forgotten about until another one comes along. 

I really hope that isn't the case though but can anyone really see after getting our economies ruined people will accept billions in aid to Africa when theres food banks and mass unemployment?

Why not?  They accepted it before the pandemic when we have food banks and mass unemployment.