Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Oxford vaccine should have been open source so it can be manufactured anywhere in the world but Bill Gates is a c**t so that's out the window.

The EU getting 100m doses off AZ by the end of March seems totally unrealistic given they are behind the UK in setting production so I expect this will rumble on.

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Oxford vaccine should have been open source so it can be manufactured anywhere in the world but Bill Gates is a c**t so that's out the window.

The EU getting 100m doses off AZ by the end of March seems totally unrealistic given they are behind the UK in setting production so I expect this will rumble on.

If it had been open source who would actually have manufactured it?  Pharma companies developing their own vaccines wouldn’t commit their facilities to manufacture something at less profit than their own vaccine

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

Has any insight been given into Belarus? Of course, it would be impossible to trust any state published data, but it would be nice to see some analysis.

Doing a Norway with slightly fewer deaths than 2019 according to some sources online but doubt this will be getting any mainstream media converage in the UK any time soon and there are obvious reasons to be wary of official figures there.

On 29/01/2021 at 14:39, superbigal said:

Todays Headlines:    Even Scotgov cannot find something miserable to say today. Absolutely no way lockdown should be extended beyond 15th Feb now.

INFECTIONS IN SCOTLAND HAVE more than HALVED.  Down 52.30%. Only 3 councils now over 200 cases per 100K   Even  North Lanarkshire under 250 !!

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest and will document their daily progress.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England  373.2 to 354.2  down 5.09%,   Wales  204.8 to 191.0 down 6.74% , Northern Ireland   271.7 to 262.2  down 3.50%,  all 3 dropping.  Wales in particular is dropping quickly and has indicated some possible relaxation from 22nd February.

For interest of the bigger European countries Portugal 878 having a torrid time and this may go over 1,000,  Spain 527 dropping , Czech 442 are the big hitters.  

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    

From 20th to 26th January we were down to 152.5

Todays figure for 21st Jan to 27th Jan is  144.0     Another huge single Day drop of 5.57%. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY THREE days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 52.30%

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire  258.7  to 249.0   

Glasgow City 236.1 to 222.1

South Lanarkshire 216.5 to 204.7

North Ayrshire 194.4 to 194.4  

East Ayrshire 207.4 to 184.4  Down a huge 11% and through the 200 barrier 

Clackmannanshire  188.2 to 182.4

West Dunbartonshire 203.5 to 178.8  Down a huge 12% and through the 200 barrier 

Renfrewshire 186.5 to 177.6  Dropped over 25% in 3 days.

East Renfrewshire  170.6 to 171.7

Falkirk  170.9 to 166.0

East Dunbartonshire  174.0 to 164.8  Near 20% drop in 2 days.

Dumfries & Galloway  165.9 to 151.0  Good drop.  Langholm & Eskdale still over 1042 Cases per 100K and Scotland's No 2 . 

Angus  167.8 to 145.4   Great 13% drop

Inverclyde  147.8 to 137.5 

South Ayrshire  152.7 to 135.9     Another fantastic 11% drop

Stirling 132.7 to 135.9

West Lothian  124.5 to 125.6

Midlothian  112.5 to 119.0  

Aberdeen City    121.6 to 117.6  Danestone risen to 1287 cases per 100K and takes top spot in Scotland.  

Moray    120.0 to 116.9 

Dundee City 115.9 to 109.2   Dropped by over 30% in just 4 days.  Outstanding.

Perth & Kinross  113.9 to 100.7  Great fall over 10% and so close to 100 barrier

Scottish  Borders  103.0 to 97.8  Another through the 100 barrier

Fife   95.3 to 85.4   Again down another 10% outstanding   

Aberdeenshire   95.7 to 80.4  Wow down 16% at these low levels

City Of Edinburgh  88.4 to 83.6  

Highlands  78.9 to 75.5   Invergordon falling.

East Lothian  67.2 to 74.7  

Argyll & Bute   68.7 to 69.9

Western Isles    18.7 to 44.9   Oh Jean put us in Lockdown.. Oh wait.

Orkney Island  31.4 to 35.9

Shetland Islands  21.8 to 17.5

Edited by superbigal

Todays Headlines:    Even Scotgov cannot find something miserable to say today. Absolutely no way lockdown should be extended beyond 15th Feb now.

INFECTIONS IN SCOTLAND HAVE more than HALVED.  Down 52.30%. Only 3 councils now over 200 cases per 100K   Even  North Lanarkshire under 250 !!

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest and will document their daily progress.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England  373.2 to 354.2  down 5.09%,   Wales  204.8 to 191.0 down 6.74% , Northern Ireland   271.7 to 262.2  down 3.50%,  all 3 dropping.  Wales in particular is dropping quickly and has indicated some possible relaxation from 22nd February.

For interest of the bigger European countries Portugal 878 having a torrid time and this may go over 1,000,  Spain 527 dropping , Czech 442 are the big hitters.  

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    
From 20th to 26th January we were down to 152.5
Todays figure for 21st Jan to 27th Jan is  144.0     Another huge single Day drop of 5.57%. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY THREE days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 52.30%
Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview
North Lanarkshire  258.7  to 249.0   
Glasgow City 236.1 to 222.1
South Lanarkshire 216.5 to 204.7
North Ayrshire 194.4 to 194.4  
East Ayrshire 207.4 to 184.4  Down a huge 11% and through the 200 barrier 
 Clackmannanshire  188.2 to 182.4
West Dunbartonshire 203.5 to 178.8  Down a huge 12% and through the 200 barrier 
Renfrewshire 186.5 to 177.6  Dropped over 25% in 3 days.
East Renfrewshire  170.6 to 171.7
Falkirk  170.9 to 166.0
East Dunbartonshire  174.0 to 164.8  Near 20% drop in 2 days.
Dumfries & Galloway  165.9 to 151.0  Good drop.  Langholm & Eskdale still over 1042 Cases per 100K and Scotland's No 2 . 
Angus  167.8 to 145.4   Great 13% drop
Inverclyde  147.8 to 137.5 
South Ayrshire  152.7 to 135.9     Another fantastic 11% drop
Stirling 132.7 to 135.9
West Lothian  124.5 to 125.6
Midlothian  112.5 to 119.0  
Aberdeen City    121.6 to 117.6  Danestone risen to 1287 cases per 100K and takes top spot in Scotland.  
Moray    120.0 to 116.9 
Dundee City 115.9 to 109.2   Dropped by over 30% in just 4 days.  Outstanding.
Perth & Kinross  113.9 to 100.7  Great fall over 10% and so close to 100 barrier
Scottish  Borders  103.0 to 97.8  Another through the 100 barrier
Fife   95.3 to 85.4   Again down another 10% outstanding   
Aberdeenshire   95.7 to 80.4  Wow down 16% at these low levels
City Of Edinburgh  88.4 to 83.6  
Highlands  78.9 to 75.5   Invergordon falling.
East Lothian  67.2 to 74.7  
Argyll & Bute   68.7 to 69.9
Western Isles    18.7 to 44.9   Oh Jean put us in Lockdown.. Oh wait.
Orkney Island  31.4 to 35.9
Shetland Islands  21.8 to 17.5

Good stuff!

I've been critical of the SGs approach to lockdown. I thought that putting the central belt into tier 4 at the beginning of December was unnecessary. However, in terms of bringing cases down you have to say they've got it right this time (although that may be more by luck than judgment).

I can't see restrictions being lifted or the tier system being brought back in until there's been a bigger dent in vaccinations and hospital numbers come down. Hopefully that isn't too far away!

I see that WHO is now asking developed countries to temporarily halt vaccinations once they've given them to their most vulnerable citizens, and allow the current stockpiles to be distributed to developing countries. Which is what I suggested on this forum a couple weeks ago. Coincidence?

QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH SOME LEGAL KNOWLEDGE

The company I work for supply components for vehicle manufacturing and as such have to travel from Falkirk to Glasgow to collect the parts and then distribute them about the factory upon my return . It is open to conjecture if vehicle manufacturing is essential work at this time. 

The crux of the matter is I have now been informed I will have to work at the warehouse in the Glasgow area to carry out a "stock check" for the foreseeable future.  The stock check is basically a red herring just to get me to work in the warehouse. I have argued that this is non essential, would be breaching the SG's guidelines and therefore I will not be attending.  Any advice on where I legally stand on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Elric

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

If it had been open source who would actually have manufactured it?  Pharma companies developing their own vaccines wouldn’t commit their facilities to manufacture something at less profit than their own vaccine

Cuba is manufacturing a vaccine which proves that there is no need for the big Pharma companies to be involved. 

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/21/cuba-aims-to-immunise-its-population-this-year-with-its-own-coronavirus-vaccine

The argument for inflated drug prices is the cost of R&D but with the Oxford vaccine R&D was done in the public sector so there is no need to place a patent which limits it's production. If the UK had gifted a vaccine to the world it would have done a huge amount for our reputation internationally. Obviously a decision was made to remain neoliberal lap dogs.

Edited by Detournement

12 minutes ago, Elric said:

The company I work for supply components for vehicle manufacturing and as such have to travel from Falkirk to Glasgow to collect the parts and then distribute them about the factory upon my return . It is open to conjecture if vehicle manufacturing is essential work at this time. 

The crux of the matter is I have now been informed I will have to work at the warehouse in the Glasgow area to carry out a "stock check" for the foreseeable future.  The stock check is basically a red herring just to get me to work in the warehouse. I have argued that this is non essential, would be breaching the SG's guidelines and therefore I will not be attending.  Any advice on where I legally stand on this would be greatly appreciated.

Better speaking to a union rep as theyll know whats in your contract etc. 

Good stuff!

I've been critical of the SGs approach to lockdown. I thought that putting the central belt into tier 4 at the beginning of December was unnecessary. However, in terms of bringing cases down you have to say they've got it right this time (although that may be more by luck than judgment).

I can't see restrictions being lifted or the tier system being brought back in until there's been a bigger dent in vaccinations and hospital numbers come down. Hopefully that isn't too far away!

I think they’ll keep current restrictions in place until the end of February, arguing it’ll mean more people are vaccinated.

18 minutes ago, Elric said:

Can you do the job at home.  No.

If you do not turn up to work, sadly I would expect you to be fired. You have no legal grounds not to attend work if it is covid secure.

Manufacturing continues and is not banned.

Edited by superbigal

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Cuba is manufacturing a vaccine which proves that there is no need for the big Pharma companies to be involved. 

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/21/cuba-aims-to-immunise-its-population-this-year-with-its-own-coronavirus-vaccine

The argument for inflated drug prices is the cost of R&D but with the Oxford vaccine R&D was done in the public sector so there is no need to place a patent which limits it's production. If the UK had gifted a vaccine to the world it would have done a huge amount for our reputation internationally. Obviously a decision was made to remain neoliberal lap dogs.

Cuba developed its own vaccine and is manufacturing around 100m doses a year so they wouldn’t be touching AZ so the question still stands as to who would manufacture this open source vaccine?

Just now, Left Back said:

Cuba developed its own vaccine and is manufacturing around 100m doses a year so they wouldn’t be touching AZ so the question still stands as to who would manufacture this open source vaccine?

If the Cuban state can do it so can other lower income economies.

Che Guevaxa?

That's the best I could come up with.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is it not the case that with the exception of South Africa there is limited infection in sub saharan aftica? I am absolutely all for helping the pharma companies ramp up production and even for paying for doses for developing countries. Ship alllll the vaccines we wont use over there too, even send our doctors to help when we get things under control here too.

I'm not so sure they don't have a lot of infections, it's likely a lack of testing means that what is published is an underestimate. Also, the fact that in so much of Africa life expectancy is so low, and they have such low rates of obesity, their populations aren't really going to suffer from the virus.

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Hopefully see bigger vaccination numbers from next week with Aberdeen and Edinburgh mass centers opening.

I hope the Buns don't know about that.