Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Got my letter to book a vaccine appointment, happy to get in early to get a claimed 100% protection against serious disease with the two currently on offer, rather than J&J's which is 86% for the most serious. Think it's 50/50 whether I get Pfizer or AZ, hoping for the former.

Edited by welshbairn

I have seen a couple of times on SM this morning quotes attributed to Macron along the lines of AZ being next to useless for over 60s and totally useless for over 70s. I am assuming this is "fake news" given the current sensitivity surrounding the whole issue ?
On that basis, if it was true, it would be what I assume is good fortune rather than good judgement, that we absolutely scattergunned the orders meaning little pressure to vaccinate the vulnerable with AZ

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I have seen a couple of times on SM this morning quotes attributed to Macron along the lines of AZ being next to useless for over 60s and totally useless for over 70s. I am assuming this is "fake news" given the current sensitivity surrounding the whole issue ?

Yeah, when pressed he had nothing to back his assertion.

It’s just a grievance looking for a home
Maybe.

I appreciate there are a few folk posting in here genuinely struggling with the current situation however surely trawling all media formats pulling out every little nugget and then applying a negative spin whether in exists or not is not going to help them one little bit. In a situation like we are in going searching for actual optimistic takes (I assume that's the point) is going to leave you wading through tons of negative stuff to find those nuggets. I personally can't see how that helps anyone struggling mentally with this. I know several people within my family and in my wider friends group who are struggling just like those on here and my over riding advice to them has been try to avoid the news and most definitely don't trawl social media as it's not going to help. You might think looking for positives is positive but you need to sift through a ton of negativity to find the odd genuinely positive piece of news. And having done all that you then need to weigh up whether the information you are finding is true or not and that applies whether it's good or bad news !

33 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Steven W said:
I find it peculiar, troubling even, that the announcement of high efficacy in not one, but two vaccines in the last 24 hours, that will 'soon' (using some of Sturgeon's favourite open-ended language myself there) be available to the Scottish public, hasn't been deemed fit for comment by the First Minister. 

Possibly because she hasn't appeared at the daily briefing since they were announced. Jeezo man lighten up just a little bit on the doom and gloom stuff.

She has Twitter, and tweets fairly frequently.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
24 minutes ago, renton said:
Yeah, when pressed he had nothing to back his assertion.

Bang out of order and downright irresponsible to make statements like that in public if they are baseless more so in his position. This really won't help.

Looks very much like an attempt to play down the EU's mistakes by making it out that the AZ vaccine isn't that good anyway.

8 hours ago, madwullie said:

I've posted in her threads a couple of times now trying to find out why vaccines don't trump zero covid. 

I don't subscribe to the idea that she's thick as two short planks that many on here do (and looking big picture, other scientists are proposing similar (if not zero covid, then defo longterm restrictions)) so I'd like to get to the bottom of the reticence to be optimistic. 

She's not thick: she's using her zero Covid hot take as her golden ticket to round the clock media exposure and so elevation to being a chief government advisor or a move to a top-grade university post. 

That the zero-Covid strategy is in practice a stack of utter horseshit doesn't matter because that's not what this is about for her. 

8 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The EU have made a massive f**k up over this and a lot of people who are / were very much on the remain side are now looking at their leadership in a much poorer light

Id still much rather be part of the EU than linked to the government with the highest death rates in the country who turned around and shrugged shoulders saying they had ‘done everything they could’. 

I am not sure if I will ever understand fully  how this happens. The carehome capacity is 38 so at least 79% of residents. I do not imagine the amount of staff can far exceed the 21 noted below.  I understood staff are regularly tested and residents if they request. Vaccinations done. All sorts of PPE in place. Just staggering and so sad that this is still happening.

NHS Fife is aware of a cluster of confirmed COVID-19 cases associated with West Park Care Home in Leslie.

A total of 30 residents have tested positive for the virus. A further 21 staff have also tested positive for COVID-19.

Sadly, 12 people have died after contracting COVID-19

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, virginton said:

She's not thick: she's using her zero Covid hot take as her golden ticket to round the clock media exposure and so elevation to being a chief government advisor or a move to a top-grade university post. 

That the zero-Covid strategy is in practice a stack of utter horseshit doesn't matter because that's not what this is about for her. 

She's not bad looking and is ideal for a Dr Devi type role on daytime telly.

22 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The EU have made a massive f**k up over this and a lot of people who are / were very much on the remain side are now looking at their leadership in a much poorer light

Six weeks from now things could look very different on vaccine supply but Brexit will still be a disaster on trade.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Got my letter to book a vaccine appointment, happy to get in early to get a claimed 100% protection against serious disease with the two currently on offer, rather than J&J's which is 86% for the most serious. Think it's 50/50 whether I get Pfizer or AZ, hoping for the former.

That's good, we're still waiting (fairly) patiently.

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

She has Twitter, and tweets fairly frequently.

She also found the time to post a video sticking her oar in to the utterly noxious trans debate for internal party politicking earlier this week, but I'm sure that the FM was just too busy to share news of this latest, incredible scientific weapon!

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I wonder if Devi will be spamming the WHO trying to get them on board with her #ZeroCovid pish now.

Leo Varadkar also trying to cool desire for #ZeroCovid in Ireland by explaining what that would really look like.

NS would do well to distance herself from Sridhar now tbh. Her goal is an absolute fantasy that not even the WHO think is realistic, or should be used as a measurement for success. As any guidance she gives will no doubt be tailored towards the aim of achieving this fantasy, her input becomes largely useless.

Good post, and this is the best dialogue I have seen coming out of the mouth of the WHO the entire pandemic. If they could start making this a lot more clearer, that would be grand.

As for Sridhar: VT has summed her up perfectly above. She is a career opportunist who can easily fool the general public because of her position and titles. Sturgeon really needs to distance herself from her and listen to what Mike Ryan has recently said.

Even Clownshoes Leitch has talked about us eventually living with Covid in an endemic fashion in the way we do with colds and flus, etc. And thankfully, it appears most of the main government advisers in the UK know that 'zero covid' is a total nonsense. It's never going to be a thing in Europe (or indeed the wider world) which means it's not going to be a thing here, but I guess that won't stop the short-term mewling and publicising of it.

I'm sure we could get rid of it if we just stay inside all summer and don't leave the country, you know, since it's not already rife in communities the length and breadth of the island. Oh...