Coronavirus (COVID-19)

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Going by this thread, it seems it's almost mission accomplished in terms of scaremongering. We are now negotiating with ourselves what part of our lives we are willing have crushed by emergency powers, against a virus with a tiny mortality rate and highly effective vaccines. I get that we have to wait a wee while longer, but some chat here is mental

People can discuss stuff without supporting it. Literally noone wants locked down 

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

People can discuss stuff without supporting it. Literally noone wants locked down 

I'm not saying anyone WANTS these things, I am saying willingness to accept them with decreasing thought towards zero restrictions is an indication of successful scaremongering.

Edited by Bairnardo

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Hopefully we won't have any restrictions other than travel from around May. 

If banning foreign holidays means the chances of no restrictions well into the winter is possible then we have to go down that route.

Whilst that would be reluctantly acceptable, I don't think anything even close to that is in their plans.

Based on her tone and language today, a vote for the SNP in May is undoubtably a vote for at least some domestic restrictions well into 2022.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It depends where you want to go. Latin America, India, Africa and many other places are still going to be rife with Covid until well into 2022. 

The EU is miles behind us in vaccine roll out and has lower predicted uptake. They aren't estimated to reach herd immunity until the end of October. 

I forsee other European countries (and the US) re-introducing travel corridors based on vaccination and infection rates (and probably a pre-flight test).

The airline industry cannot survive another year, neither can the travel industry.

Just now, ICTChris said:

People saying the SNP have been harmed are mental.  Most SNP voters would vote for them if they were beheading pensioners live on telly.  Chances are this will increaes their vote.

They still have a significant soft section as the difference between WM/SP/EU/LA vote total shows. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've got to agree with welshbairn here, and it's why I think people south of the border will vote for the Tories again. I don't vote SNP but if you normally vote for them then looking at the alternatives must make you sick. The Greens must be the only palatable party for SNP voters and not enough people are going to shift that way. That leaves you with Labour (deid), Tories (a no go for many) or the Lib Dems (lol).

Perhaps youre right, certainly won’t be getting large majority votes in a lot of places. I think my second vote will likely go to the greens now, if Lennon wins and separates Scottish Labour from UK (which wont happen in time for May) i’d consider voting for them. 
I object to people looking at the shite efforts of the Scottish Government and saying ‘well at least we arent as bad as USA or England’. It has highlighted that besides Sturgeon there is an absolute gulf in the talent of SNP politicians from Sturgeon. 

Far be it for me to defend another poster, but stating what it looks like the govts are planning isn't showing willingness to accept. Its just stating facts. You don't need to be planning actual civil disobedience or using angry language to denote you don't agree with the mood music (jesus I hate that expression) 

Edit: @Bairnardo was sure I'd quoted

Edited by madwullie

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The government will have an exit plan and will have targets they want to reach which will then probably mean a gradual reopening of everything.

There are too many unknowns at the moment to give dates or timelines as to when that will happen. They need to know the vaccine works properly, they need to see that transmission goes down and stays down for probably a few months at least, that deaths and hospitalisation lessen etc.

We have to wait on the vaccine roll-out and then to see the data gathered over a period of time.  I expect that when things start to look like they are staying better and enough of the vulnerable groups are vaccinated then we’ll start getting things back on again.

They won’t tell us targets because as soon as we get near one people will be screaming for the end of lockdown and potentially starting to go “f**k it it’s alright now” and going round their friends houses again. This thread alone shows how bad the general public are for getting information and becoming amateur public health experts and moaning over every single decision.

People don't need dates, they need targets.   There is no reasonable explanation as to why those cannot be given by Govt.

As I said before, the original reasons given for lockdown last year were reducing the pressure on the NHS so it wasn't overwhelmed, and reducing deaths/infections.

So, what are they now, bearing in mind we have vaccines and better treatments.

Keeping people in the dark with no end to restictions in sight is not the way to play this.  The end of furlough in April will be the decision point, it won't be extended.

34 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

That's the part that is both annoying and frustrating.

I fully support the current measures and quarantine, but what are the conditions that need to be met to remove quarantine, remove travel restrictions and reduce to Level 1 or 0. What are the targets we must meet? We don't need dates as nobody knows, we just need to know what is required.  An exit strategy.

As it stands, it seems like NS is agitating for a complete border closure in 2021 which is what she has always wanted, that won't wash.

Reduce deaths, reduce new infections, reduce the pressure on the NHS.  Those are what I understood to be the targets to meet towards normality, so let's have a bit more meat on the bones and then we know where we all stand. Not "dinnae book foreign holidays" pish.

NS  now also seemingly advocating the Tayside Juniors straight into the EOS Premier League  

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Where's this chat of SG keeping lockdown for a year ? It was overseas travel that NS talked about wanting to prevent for a year not sure how that has morphed into lockdown.

Lockdown will start to ease in late March or April assuming hospital admissions and deaths fall as expected after vaccination. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise never mind a full year of this.

Was Sridhar's Channel 4 interview on here the other day not posted? Saying if we relax restrictions in March/April we'll be back in lockdown in May. 😂/😭

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

People saying the SNP have been harmed are mental.  Most SNP voters would vote for them if they were beheading pensioners live on telly.  Chances are this will increaes their vote.

Tbf, the other parties would be attempting to behead pensioners live on another channel, swinging, missing, cutting their own feet off and then just end up desperately bludgeoning the pensioners to death with the blunt end of the axe.

Live to Richard Leonard - "I know Nicola Sturgeon has beheaded 5,000 pensioners this month, but it could have been more" (in an Alan Bennet voice)

Thanks Richard.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Kuenssberg is a total arsehole, the EU taking “our” vaccine? No the EU want the vaccine they bought and paid for and AZ promised to deliver.

"No official confirmation, but noises from inside No.10 pointing towards British vaccines being commandeered by kraut b*****ds, PM not happy"