Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Anyone know where I can get the stats for the split of which particular vaccine is being given per day? Obviously to start with it was entirely Pfizer but now I suspect AZ will be the most common but where I can get those stats?

Travelling Tabby seems to show it overall, but not a daily total.  I'm not sure if that information is given out daily or if it's a weekly update. 

6 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

The holidays/travel question is an interesting one I always find. Personally going abroad is way down my list of priorities for once things are "back to normal" tbh. I don't really understand the mindset of people who are at this stage of the game gambling and booking holidays abroad for this summer, or those who are champing at the bit to do so. Aside obviously from those who wish to visit family etc, which you can definitely understand. But just in order to spend some time in a resort/on the beach? Don't get it. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. 

At the same time I think it's wrong to talk disparagingly about "Benidorm" or "Torremolinos" or whatever - it is a bit snobbish really. It's already been discussed a bit in this thread with talk of an "underclass" and the like - we seem unable to talk about behaviour we don't like without attaching class signifiers to it. 

The posters who have been banging on about Benidorm types recently are probably bricking it cause they have booked Florida or Mexico for the summer. 

8 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Anyone know where I can get the stats for the split of which particular vaccine is being given per day? Obviously to start with it was entirely Pfizer but now I suspect AZ will be the most common but where I can get those stats?

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Look down the page. So far its 72% Pfizer, 28% AZ

The holidays/travel question is an interesting one I always find. Personally going abroad is way down my list of priorities for once things are "back to normal" tbh. I don't really understand the mindset of people who are at this stage of the game gambling and booking holidays abroad for this summer, or those who are champing at the bit to do so. Aside obviously from those who wish to visit family etc, which you can definitely understand. But just in order to spend some time in a resort/on the beach? Don't get it. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. 
At the same time I think it's wrong to talk disparagingly about "Benidorm" or "Torremolinos" or whatever - it is a bit snobbish really. It's already been discussed a bit in this thread with talk of an "underclass" and the like - we seem unable to talk about behaviour we don't like without attaching class signifiers to it. 

My partner doesn’t have any family members living in the uk . Her parents are in their mid 60s so I’m not expecting them to go any time soon but nevertheless the longer we leave it the less chances we’ll have

Of course back in the day when you emigrated you only saw your family once every 10 years or never again sometimes. It did feel like the world was much smaller now and things were different.
It’ll be what it’ll be

43 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
49 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Billy struggling to see the irony in him going for a 3 week piss up in Turkey during the pandemic then commenting on “Benidorm Brian going for their 2 week piss up” as if they are scum.

You've taken it totally out of context. I said the rules would imo be relaxed due to a demand for overseas holidays. The vast majority of the pressure for that relaxation will be from people wanting their two weeks in the sun for example in Benidorm. What part of Benidorm Brenda and Brian implies they are scum. Massive assumption on zero grounds there. It was alliteration pure and simple.

image.thumb.jpeg.d3616cca66f3cde5ca8f0fa8422c9697.jpeg

11 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I also find it a bit odd. Was speaking to someone the other day and mentioned how, whilst I’d love to be able to go abroad for a holiday this year, my prime focus for the moment is just being able to travel around Scotland, see my family and live life semi-normally here and that I could live without going abroad for a year to have that back ASAP. They piped up quite strongly with “well I wouldn’t consider myself in that camp, I love foreign holidays!” as if I’d said that I didn’t want to go abroad ever.

Still don't understand why vaccine implementation won't be enough and we need stringent measures on top of this. 

We probably won’t. Travel controls are to prevent variants coming in that beat the vaccine or previous immunity.

Otherwise? We’ll be pretty normal. Not immediately and we’ll probably work down the tiers through spring and summer. But by autumn the whole population should be vaccinated. Failing some vaccine-beating variant sweeping the country there’s no reason at that stage for life not to be absolutely normal, full stadia and concerts, the lot - outside of international travel.

If you want normal life, that’s the price that has to be paid. I know people on here are sceptical of variants but the majority of scientists are seriously worried about them. Governments shouldn’t ignore that.

16 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I've 3 booked so far for this year, however it's no gamble at all. My flights are all booked using vouchers from previous cancelled holidays but apart from that destinations such as Eastern Europe, Malaga, Barcelona etc are all peanuts (under£30 each way) so not really a gamble in any way.

Over and above this, all my Hotels are booked directly with the Hotel on a pay on arrival and free cancellation basis so again no outlay and no gamble whatsoever.

Ironically Torremolinos / Carihuela is quite upmarket these days and in no way cheap !!

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Are all staff working in the quarantine hotels going to be vaccinated before this all kicks in. Surely pointless if they are not then returning to their families quite possibly via public transport each day ???

Where can I book one of these quarantine hotels ?  I assume they are all inclusive with pools and gyms ?   Any reviews on trip advisor ?

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

We probably won’t. Travel controls are to prevent variants coming in that beat the vaccine or previous immunity.

Otherwise? We’ll be pretty normal. Not immediately and we’ll probably work down the tiers through spring and summer. But by autumn the whole population should be vaccinated. Failing some vaccine-beating variant sweeping the country there’s no reason at that stage for life not to be absolutely normal, full stadia and concerts, the lot - outside of international travel.

If you want normal life, that’s the price that has to be paid. I know people on here are sceptical of variants but the majority of scientists are seriously worried about them. Governments shouldn’t ignore that.

Err, I think you'll find 'the majority of scientists' do not actually expect the current crop of vaccines to go from being as effective as they are to 'don't work' off the back of a small number of mutations. Deaths and hospitalisations will still be prevented. We have to alter and update vaccines against influenza, a virus which is far more unstable than Covid-19, every year. Ultimately, vaccinations will reduce Covid-19 to that same level of threat and risk, at worst. Once countries reach appropriate vaccine coverage and/or immunity in the population, and with appropriate global monitoring in place, there will be zero justification for any restrictions on movement.

Edited by Elixir

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Because it's probably going to be like the flu vaccine and require a new one every year.

Firstly, f**k this, secondly, even if this were the case life will have to resume at some point rather than looping into lockdowns forever as we wait for vaccines for each seasonal variant.

Like the flu, vulnerable groups should get a letter to get their jab annually but other than that a more sensible approach will be needed.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Are all staff working in the quarantine hotels going to be vaccinated before this all kicks in. Surely pointless if they are not then returning to their families quite possibly via public transport each day ???

Based on past performance dream on.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Because it's probably going to be like the flu vaccine and require a new one every year. 

So? We don't have stringent flu measures in place and get on OK in spite of this.

Everyone being vaccinated initially and an annual booster if needed for the most at risk groups would quite clearly be sufficient.