Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They don't need to as urgently as we do.  We may never get to the levels they are at, and yet they have pre-emptively closed their borders for a year. As that's what sensible grown up governments do in an actual pandemic, here we have the biggest mess in modern history and people demanding they are allowed to go to Benidorm in six weeks.

I never claimed they did.

But you can't use a country who have not started vaccinating, and have not planned mass rollouts yet, as an example as to why a country who have already started mass vaccinating could not open borders to other similar countries.

Border closures are sensible for countries who have chosen to delay vaccinating their populations, no one is saying it isn't, but it doesn't mean countries who are heavily vaccinated must follow suit.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Sturgeon's played a blinder. Comes to the mircrophone nigh on every single day, but commits to f**k all.

Johnson can't his hold nerve and gives in and gives an indicative date of the schools going back. And a roadmap out of lockdown to be issued middle of Feb. For a wee while it was looking NS was going to have to blink first this time round, but it now she can just adopt the "England + 2 weeks" strategy all over again.

Edited by Steven W

10 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Hope - won't happen.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Case rates are dropping steadily (plummeting UK-wide) and as more vulnerable groups are vaccinated then the proportion of new cases being shunted into an ICU a few weeks down the line will drop as well. Hospitals would still be extremely busy but so long as they aren't breaching capacity then that's not going to stop it.

The smart play is to recognise that the infection factories should not reopen this side of Easter and use those five weeks to suppress community transmission much more significantly. This would also allow us to open up the general economy on a local authority basis much more quickly. But the government will put 'the weans!!!111!!!'* first, R will increase to near 1 as a result and we'll get months of braying lectures from the SG about 'stubbornly high case rates' as if they're not responsible for that problem.

Spoiler

electoral influence of the snippy parent brigade

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But you can't use a country who have not started vaccinating, and have not planned mass rollouts yet, as an example as to why a country who have already started mass vaccinating could not open borders to other similar countries.

Border closures are sensible for countries who have chosen to delay vaccinating their populations, no one is saying it isn't, but it doesn't mean countries who are heavily vaccinated must follow suit.

I think I'd prefer it if we only opened borders to other countries that are at similar vaccination levels as us (and even still not until we have way more people vaccinated).  Let anyone visit Britain but if you're not from a reasonably protected country into the quarantine you go for a couple of weeks.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes you can as the whole intention of vaccinating is to try to get to similar levels of said countries, just using a different method and killing a city the size of Dundee in the process.

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Sturgeon's played a blinder. Comes to the mircrophone nigh on every single day, but commits to f**k all.

Johnson can't his hold nerve and gives in and gives an indicative date of the schools going back. And a roadmap out of lockdown to be issued middle of Feb. For a wee while it was looking NS was going to have to blink first this time round, but it now she can just adopt the "England + 2 weeks" strategy all over again.

Yawn. If it's not possible to give a definitive answer, it's better not to give one. The problem is that idiots don't understand this and there are a lot of idiots going around.

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They don't need to as urgently as we do.  We may never get to the levels they are at, and yet they have pre-emptively closed their borders for a year. As that's what sensible grown up governments do in an actual pandemic, here we have the biggest mess in modern history and people demanding they are allowed to go to Benidorm in six weeks.

Like it or not, Holidays and travelling are top of most peoples want in life and now even more so, especially after the strain and stress people have been under for the past year.

It's going to be very difficult to convince people to give up on their little bit of relaxation in the Sun and replace it with a wet weekend in Saltcoats !!

Joking aside, I actually touched on this yesterday but if we're to ask people to "holiday at home", then we're going to need to get a better infrastructure in place, such as public transport that's fit for purpose, increased car parking spaces and road upgrades, we're also going to have to fast track planning permission for new Hotels, Restaurants & Bars, attractions etc and also look at completely overhauling existing licencing laws and relaxing many of the idiotic bye laws that are in place.

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Yawn. If it's not possible to give a definitive answer, it's better not to give one. The problem is that idiots don't understand this and there are a lot of idiots going around.

Exactly, you can't demand dates and clarity with this sort of thing, cause they have to wait and see what things look like closer to the target time. Its idiotic.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Yep, with the situation changing by the second, Sturgeon is actually playing a blinder, and not in the sarcastic tone like above.  Johnson giving constant definitive dates for stuff, then having to backtrack, is the reason there's such a backlash against him

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I think I'd prefer it if we only opened borders to other countries that are at similar vaccination levels as us (and even still not until we have way more people vaccinated).  Let anyone visit Britain but if you're not from a reasonably protected country into the quarantine you go for a couple of weeks.

Yeah this would be fine

Sturgeon resorting to populism. I wonder how the European Union will view measures from a country claiming it wants to rejoin and supports freedom of movement across our continent, which impede the rights of its citizens to that fundamental right. Pure hypocrisy after being hoodwinked by Sridhar's ilk. I hope Salmond takes her down.

11 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yes you can as the whole intention of vaccinating is to try to get to similar levels of said countries, just using a different method and killing a city the size of Dundee in the process.

The intention of vaccinating is to get back to normal, champ

Normal includes travel.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Like it or not, Holidays and travelling are top of most peoples want in life and now even more so, especially after the strain and stress people have been under for the past year.

It's going to be very difficult to convince people to give up on their little bit of relaxation in the Sun and replace it with a wet weekend in Saltcoats !!

Joking aside, I actually touched on this yesterday but if we're to ask people to "holiday at home", then we're going to need to get a better infrastructure in place, such as public transport that's fit for purpose, increased car parking spaces and road upgrades, we're also going to have to fast track planning permission for new Hotels, Restaurants & Bars, attractions etc and also look at completely overhauling existing licencing laws and relaxing many of the idiotic bye laws that are in place.

Right now I'd bite your hand off for that!

42 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
49 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
Is your area busy when you go out?

I arrived the day they announced the corridor was closing so it was busy 1st week or so but soon got quieter but bars etc were only just closing as we left and it was natural season end anyway mid October. I felt the smaller towns and resorts seemed much livelier than Marmaris which seemed very quiet on my day trip in but I can't say I'm a Marmaris fan at the best of times.

It was a sky dig (too sly obviously) about the parallels of people doing what they want but complaining about others doing the same.

22 minutes ago, Left Back said:

At their own expense. A couple of weeks in Hotel Quarantine might cost a couple of grand but that is their problem.